USCCA Community Ask Me Anything - Tim Kennedy

You don’t need to shoot as much as you think to get better. Dry firing in rehearsals are really where improvements are made. I know it’s fun to cling steel, and see a nice group, but working on your draw stroke, your reloads, your time to acquire a good side picture with sight alignment, all can happen with dry fire.

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of open carry as a form of every day carry. I like speed, surprise, and violence of action. You cannot have a surprise when everybody knows what you were going to do. And if you are open carrying it is very obvious what you are going to do. With that said you have a couple of options in regards to the legislation in your state. You can either vote for change, get involved with grassroots political movements, or move.

4 Likes

At what distance do you recommend to practice for self-defense purposes?

1 Like

I believe in freedom, I stand against any form of infringement. I do not think banning certain firearms will help the problem and it will negatively affect our citizens freedoms…

6 Likes

Tim,

What’s the best way to balance strength/conditioning, Jiu jitsu, and shooting? How many days a week is a good goal?

-Hunter

2 Likes

You never know the distance that you’re going to need to take a shot. A lot of self-defense situations happen from 3 to 5 feet, but then you also have numerous instances where shots or taken across the parking lot. I like standoff. Standoff is one’s ability to engage the enemy while the enemy is unable to engage you effectively. Being a good marksman is key for standoff to work. Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

5 Likes

Screw balance! just train more.

5 Likes

Do you carry an extra clip with you at all times?

2 Likes

How can we as civilians become more involved in the safety of our communities?

2 Likes

Depends on where I am going. I definitely subscribe to the idea of “it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have”. As a man has crawled on my belly in the middle of a gun fight to try and find bullets on the battlefield, it’s a feeling I never want to experience again and I highly recommend that everyone do their best to never have to be empathetic with that feeling. Running out of bullets is lame.

10 Likes

Attend the PTA. Join the school board. Join the city Council. Go to local law enforcement rallies. Be part of grass roots political movements helping candidates that align with issues such as freedom, security, and supporting law enforcement. And train. Trying again. And when you think you have trained enough go and train some more.

9 Likes

Thanks for introducing me to CrossFit style training back in NC. Still shapes the way I train to this day!

2 Likes

What are the most common mistakes you see people new to EDC make most often?

2 Likes

With Culture being torn apart and people claiming good is evil and evil is good. We’re in an upside-down culture and reading your book and how you’re not afraid of death-- in fact you challenge it…
Do you find time to read the Bible and spend time with God almighty by any chance? We’re talking about weapons, right?

4 Likes

Thinking that a weapon is going to solve all of their problems. It’s naïve and foolish. You’re never going to rise to the occasion but rather fall to your level of training. The level of training ultimately becomes the mistake that people most often make. They fail to do it. For you to be an effective protector that has to become part of your life. You have to be disciplined. You have to implement a regiment.

7 Likes

Faith is an important part of my life. I try to read the Bible every day but I definitely don’t read it enough. I am afraid of death, I am afraid of pain, I have fears just like everyone else, and I have experienced failure more than anyone else that I know. None of this will deter me from doing what is right. None of these fears going to stop me from doing what I know I have to do to protect my family.

8 Likes

People who have been carrying for long periods of time have most likely changed the gun that they use for daily carry as their skills and training evolve. What are things you look for in handguns that make you choose a new one over the current firearm you are carrying?

3 Likes

Favorite Red dot sight for rifle?

2 Likes

For the concealed carry I like a midsize/nearly full frame pistol, 9 mm caliber, high magazine capacity, striker fire, no external safety, mounted weapon light, and a good read that.

5 Likes

What is your biggest challenge presently?

2 Likes