Trick or Treat or Threat?

Hundreds of kids in their costumes ringing your doorbell and expecting candy - sounds like a typical Halloween in my neighborhood. There are the occasional teenagers who hope to get in on the free candy supply. And usually I’m OK with giving them some candy.

However, the costumes give bad people the chance to blend in and hide their identity while they’re checking out people’s homes or attacking others.

How do you stay safe on Halloween?

4 Likes

Girlfriend and i are going to hallowscream in Tampa. So I know security will be tight going in so we’ll be safe.

1 Like

They do not in my suburb. The kids with adults go to Halloween at the Community Center during daylight hours that way all possible/ potentially dangerous /questionable situations go away.

1 Like

Know your neighborhood and if your kids are going out trick or treating accompany them.

Sadly, Halloween is a great opportunity for home invasions and everyone is wearing some sort of disguise.

2 Likes

My wife and I sit at a table on our font porch during Halloween. It’s a good opportunity to talk to the neighbors.

2 Likes

I keep a table with bowl full of candies at front porch. Light on (or even auto off/on every few minutes) when I’m not at home during Halloween.

I saw Men In Black…that’s the night the aliens have freedom to mingle…:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

3 Likes

Great question!

Kids are older and have given up on trick or treating and the last couple years have been the ones to hand out candy at the door. We taught them to always look first out the side window in the doorway and if it’s anyone but kids to call mom or I to answer the door.

Honestly have been less worried about home invasion and more concerned about the subsequent home vandalism that has occurred sporadically in the past in our neighborhood and defending against that (cars in the garage driveway), lights turned back on after 10p etc.

I’m curious if there’s an increase in home invasions during Halloween like there is with vandalism (not saying it shouldn’t be a safety concern, just curious as to what the stats are).

I don’t know. We have not celebrated Halloween in years, nor do we participate in the church’s version of it. :v:t5:

1 Like

I put candy on the front porch in a big bowl, with a sign saying take what you like, but don’t take it all as others may come by and in 16 years never once has anyone ever taken it all.

But I do have a can of Bear Mace mounted at front door, a kick plate so if I do open door and you kick it it goes about 8 inches and stops, only one door can be opened from outside the rest can only be opened from the inside, also have water sprinklers I can turn on for the tp rollers. Plus my :dog2: alarm, motion lights, and camera. I can monitor all from cell phone plus my spooky doorbell ringer is a video camera.

1 Like

With strangers coming to the door, we have things put away and drapes drawn to prevent anyone from casing the place. The dogs are brought inside to prevent them getting fed chocolate.

One new item this year I just learned about are Blue pumpkins. If you see a child with a blue pumpkin they could be autistic and not able to say “Trick or Treat” so just give them the candy and wish them a happy halloween.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s new or not this year, but this is the first time I’ve heard about it to, @Greg1! It’s a good tidbit to know for the little ones! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My street is private, no street lights, a curve in the road half way down makes you invisible to anyone on the street, the perfect horror movie street…

I dont recall ever getting kids down our street…

@Beth pointed out in her latest blog post another huge threat aspect that I hadn’t mentioned above: car vs pedestrian car accidents. :frowning:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/stay-safe-for-halloween/

The last tip on her list has me scratching my head:

Notify law enforcement immediately if you see any suspicious or unlawful activity.

Unlawful, I totally understand. The suspicious part…isn’t most of Halloween focused on being suspicious or creepy? :jack_o_lantern: :bat: :wink:

YES - lots of crazy things happen on Halloween, which could make it easier for people who are up to no good to do up-to-no-good things. “Suspicious” activity might be someone moving a ladder to the back yard of a home you know is empty… which recently happened to someone we know. Or it could be a vehicle that keeps circling or stopping to try to speak with little kids. Those things are not unlawful activity, but we should use good situational awareness and pay attention… perhaps before the activity becomes unlawful!

2 Likes

Wow!!! A drop in from THE Beth Alcazar!!! Nice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HA! I may lurk around here at times, but I do try to comment and contribute now and then! :wink:

3 Likes

I always enjoy reading your articles (and videos clips) and I saw you at USCCA Expo in 2018. I appreciate your contributions to the 2A effort and community! :slight_smile:

3 Likes