Halloween home safety

Strangers knocking on your door after dark demanding you give them something before they leave is a situation we all want to avoid … except for the one night a year where we gladly give out candy to the monsters and princesses: Halloween.

Normally, opening your door to anyone you don’t know is something you would do cautiously. Do you take that same level of caution on Halloween?

What safety measures do you take to enjoy Halloween safely?

5 Likes

My wife sits on the porch with the goody bin. That way we don’t have to open the door. She has her phone and I have mine, in case she needs me.

This year, it’s not an issue. It’s either because it’s been canceled or my wife decided not to. I don’t remember.

6 Likes

I’m sorry, I just couldn’t resist. :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: NOT!

Nancy and I will follow the directions of the good Mayor. :smiley:

6 Likes

I sit in my garage to wait for all of the ghouls, goblins, etc.

4 Likes

I live in community where everybody knows that kids are not knocking to the door after 5pm.
If there is no front light ON - kids don’t even waste their time to go there.

Easy peasy rules.

5 Likes

I have not had any trick or treaters in years, even with the lights on

4 Likes

One of the advantages of having high school age kids is that they know everyone who is big enough to be a problem. Most of the trick-or-treat’ers I see are primary school age and their parents are standing out along the street waiting to guide them to the next house. It will be interesting to see how COVID changes the age mix this year.

4 Likes

In Minnesota, we normally just leave a bowl of candy outside. Too cold most years to be opening the front door.

Since moving to Florida, we’ve enjoyed relaxing in lawn chairs on our driveway with our bowl of goodies. I live on the end of a cul-de-sac and can see everyone coming down the street.

Last few years, the neighbors have gotten together and have a potluck and bbq on someone’s driveway and hand out candy as a group. One stop shop for kids and a good gathering of adults in case there’s trouble.

7 Likes

I lived in the house I am at for 4 years and never had a trick or treater, It left me with two cases of Snickers candy bars, not the little ones either. One year, a long time ago, I would replace the 1 lb. Hershey chocolate bar with a piece of plywood re-wrapped in the package. So, there should not be any encounters at my place, plus the front porch light will be off too!

3 Likes

Me and my wife don’t celebrate Halloween but we don’t get to many trick or treaters in my neighborhood anyway and when they come they never knock on our door. I guess they must know we are Christians.

3 Likes

I lock up like I do every night. For Halloween we put out a decorative display, and a candy table with different candies in each. In 20 years no one has taken more than they should.

5 Likes

Nancy and I get about get about 60+ kids last year all during the daylight so never had any problems but always watching. :+1:

3 Likes

I was just talking about this with the Boss. Usually we participate in Trunk or Treat at her Church across the street. We don’t know if it’s going to happen this year. If it doesn’t we may have.to buy a lot of :candy: . But then again Halloween is on Foosball Saturday, and we may not even be home.

Don’t forget to turn your clocks back when you go to bed!

3 Likes

I make sure to eat all the candy first.

4 Likes

no one has taken more than they should? That’s insane to me. If I attempted this, the entire bowl would be gone in the first hour.

3 Likes