Halloween 2022 - How Are You Preparing? Any Worries? Any Tips?

Thoughts are turning to decorating the house and All Hallows Eve.

Anyone doing anything out of the ordinary?

Anyone have any safety concerns?

Anyone do anything to make it fun for the kids and neighbors?

I like to scare the kids a bit (PG Rating For Mild Horror and Gore) and it is a good time to meet some of our neighbors.

3 Likes

I don’t even try, anymore. There are a couple of ladies across the street who have the coolest house in the neighborhood when Halloween comes around, so it’s not worth trying to compete with them. It’s easier and more fun to just go to their party.

6 Likes

I don’t decorate more than some pumpkins and fake spider webbs.

Any decorations (Halloween or other holidays) should never block your view or give potential criminals hiding spots.

Always remember to try and keep your home well lit and if you have cameras don’t block them or create blind spots with decorations.

6 Likes

I usually got to my gun range and shoot Zombie targets. Then I come home and write some political message on them and put them on my garage door. Here are the 2 that I did last year. And some of the parents got the message that I was trying to send. Here they are.

6 Likes

I went to Walmart (I generally avoid them these days) for a whole bunch of candy

I also bought a metal Captain America shield and ~8lb metal Mjlonir to go with the costume, with entire family themed matching costumes as well

5 Likes

One thing I will be trying with decor, a discrete blink cameras hidden in the decor. Going a bit crazy with decorations. Goal is to “theatrically” haunt my house. Halloween can be fun.

3 Likes

It is very quiet in my neighborhood. Remote chance someone will have grandkids over. If you have kids watch out what they bring home and do not let them eat anything without being inspected. New worry is fentanyl and it is deadly. Comes in rainbow colors that looks like candy. Powder form can be added to almost anything.

4 Likes

I will be at work serving bloody Mary steaks and witches’ fingers (chicken Strips)

6 Likes

We have a steep driveway and keep the lights off. People are too overweight to walk that incline these days. We get no solicitors of any kind anymore.

6 Likes

When my kids were still at home, I had a (kid size) homemade casket that I put on the front porch. It was wired to a proximity switch. When someone walked up it play a recording of someone hammering on wood and screaming “let me out.” There was also an orbital sander hooked into the circuit that shook the casket. Those were the good ole days.

8 Likes

My kids are all grown - so I don’t get into the decorations anymore. I will have fun at an adult party…but not as fun with the kids older. Those with youngsters—enjoy the Halloweens with them now!

4 Likes

As a child growing up me and my family always celebrated Halloween. But growing up in NYC and being a cop in NYC I realized that this is a day where criminals take advantage and commit crimes especially because they can wear costumes and no one can describe them to the police. I am a Christian now so I do not celebrate the day but I do not judge you if you do. Just be careful and keep your head on a swivel if you do decide to go trick or treating. Here in VA it is peaceful and no one really bothers anyone. These passed few Halloweens have been quiet.

9 Likes

Do not shoot any short zombies carrying candy.

2 Likes

If the zombies aren’t biting I just assume they’re going to vote.

3 Likes

5 Likes

I guess that’s better than having Bill’s toupée.

2 Likes

Hilarious!

1 Like

By the time Halloween arrives, I’ve already eaten all the candy, and it’s usually too late to buy more! Lights out, somebody pass me a Reese’s!

4 Likes