Holiday Threats

When the end-of-year holidays approach, what are some of the seasonal threats that you give special attention? How do you mitigate them?

6 Likes

I’m specifically concerned about evening muggings. It’s darker out this season, there’s been an increase in crime just about everyone, my wife and I now have a baby and it takes a little more time to get loaded up while also being focused on getting the toot strapped in. I worry about my wife when she’s on her own, but she is good about staying alert.

12 Likes

Always be prepared

6 Likes

During the holiday season I always try to keep my head on a swivel when I’m out and about. Some people refer to it as the silly season. People that go through depression and maybe some bad events in their life will let it come out during the holidays. A lot of crimes also happen during this time due to the shopping and robbers look for victims who have money. At this time my situational awareness rises and I’m always scanning the areas that I’m in always alert and ready.

13 Likes

What Johnnyq60 said.

5 Likes

My favorites are oatmeal craisin with white chocolate chips. OH–THREATS–I thought it was treats.

9 Likes

Nothing special. We mostly stay away from people and crowds. We’re generally alert when we’re “in the world” with the other folks. We did install a bunch of day/night cameras (and discovered that we own a possum…) including one for the safe. That is about it. One has to enjoy life, right? I don’t want to have this on my mind 24/7.

7 Likes

The only threats I worry about is an upset stomach by overeating. When we do a Christmas party there’s enough food to feed an army. I’m always on the alert, so I do nothing different except enjoy life. If you spend too much time worrying about what could happen, then your life just passes you by and enjoyable moments are forgotten.

5 Likes

I hardly go out shopping. I just give cash to my kids and for my wife, I ordered online. So, my main concern is:

Porch pirates

One advantage of working from home is I can respond quickly to Ring doorbell camera alerts.

5 Likes

Packages are what got me thinking about this, last night. That, sale mobs (i.e. Black Friday fights), and Christmas lights. There are security issues that require extra attention, this time of year.

3 Likes

If you caught a porch pirate in the act, what would you do?

Did you notice the fallacy being pushed during last summer’s looting, “lives over property?” Some leftist commented it while Antifa was burning down a police station.
It sounds good but like all things leftist, shallow and deceptive.

4 Likes

Put my package down and leave, as I am shaking my pepper jell. :smiling_imp:

blm called the looting "reparations. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Shop online for me. Cash for adult children & grand kids. If out & about I’ll be wound up a little tight. X mas wll probably be sad this year. Oh well , I will dry fire at the tree & the x mas cards.

4 Likes

Yes now days you have to keep alert. I see people walking around everywhere looking down at their cell phones and they don’t know what they may be walking into. I stopped and one almost walked right into me before he knew it. If I was a bad guy he could be dead today. It’s not the time to let our guard down, and yes even women and young girls also do. Bad sign.

6 Likes

Do any of you do anything specific with your lights, or do you just leave Macaulay Culkin in charge of home security?

3 Likes

Only thing different this year is we are leaving our normal outside lights on all night. We used to turn them off when we went to bed (hey…I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed).

3 Likes

My lights come on automatically. Smile. You’re on Candid Camera. I have my front and side covered. Now to install on the other side.

3 Likes

Vivint at home, the swivel when out.

2 Likes

Nuff said

6 Likes

Bought 4 of these, added to what I had I have 360 deg. coverage around the house. They have a red blinking light in the center when the light is out to make it look like a camera.
So far I like them. :+1:

8 Likes