Weekend Training: What is your biggest situational awareness distraction

We’ve all reduced our trips out of the house and to the store in the last week or so, but that doesn’t mean we can reduce our situational awareness during this time.

In fact, with the added stress everyone is under, I would ponder that our situational awareness is on high alert whenever we leave home.

What is your biggest situational awareness distraction? How do you overcome it?

What are you watching for more now than before?

1 Like

My imagination! My mind can wander off into another universe at the drop of a hat.

4 Likes

The comfort of my own home.

4 Likes

I must agree with the OleGnome - I feel safe in the house and I tend to relax a little to much. I will say yesterday I did put a magazine in the 5.56 which I guess makes me think I am doing a bit better…

4 Likes

@Dawn - what is your situation ?

I’m not sure, if there is more stress or distraction now… I’d say it’s even easier to predict next moves. Less people around, no gatherings.

Now I’m more afraid of people to be too close to me. The worst, I don’t even want to think about it, when someone would be close and coughs or sneezes. :zipper_mouth_face:
Beside that - all normal. Watch posture, eyes, hands, waist.

4 Likes

Always same distractions, incoming texts and calls, my kids.
BTW, did you all try dry fire exercise wearing nitrile gloves?

1 Like

@Dawn

I hope no one will take this the wrong way but I am not allowing wife to answer door. There have been some home invasions, not in my town but close enough. Most people don’t mess with our neighborhood, to many LEO live in it.

I am keeping more magazines loaded for my 3 home defense weapons and at least one other gun besides Glock out. I’ve completely blocked off access to 3 of the 4 ways into my home. Put up hurricane shutters and blackout curtains.

I would say my SA right now is orange at home and borderline red out of the home. We are being very careful, let’s just go with that.

3 Likes

My biggest distraction, @Mike_T is other people. The person who coughed when I was getting dog food this weekend had a lot of my attention until I was away from them. I’ve worked to get away from hyper-focusing on any one threat, but those who are coughing in public right now are getting a lot of attention.

Unfortunately, women still taken as weaker in the eyes of attackers. Fortunately, women have the option to have the tools men do for their self-defense. But anything that can help deter an attack is useful.

1 Like

I’ve been steadily coughing for weeks due to allergies, and I’m on meds. People look at my funny all of the time. Sometimes for that.

2 Likes

@Dawn

It’s not out of “me man, you woman” misogyny. My wife is one of the sweetest and nicest people you will meet. She is a good shot, I trust her behind me a 100%. I worry, due to the environment right now. Most of us have better halves, well she is my better 95%.

There have been some home invasions, not directly in our neighborhood. But close enough. That mixed with the general level of craziness right now has me in full out Protective mode Red.

She is also incredibly optimistic and believes in the innate goodness of people. This is the first time in 30+ years, that I have asked her to do something like this.

2 Likes

My girl has agreed to carry pepper spray and lock the doors even when she gets the mail. Sad state of affairs.

2 Likes

Probably my biggest distraction when young was good-looking women; today, it is probably good-looking women. Thankfully, I have one of those, so my eyes are now more focused on situational awareness to protect my asset. :stuck_out_tongue: :kissing_heart: @ wife

Not watching more, but trolling (as in viewing, not being a troll) these threads more often. Maybe reading is a better term.

2 Likes

The other day I am asleep, and wife is awake. She comes to get me because a U-Haul van, pulled into our driveway. A woman gets out in a UPS driver uniform. Comes up to door and knocks loudly on it saying she has a delivery. My wife opens the door, and a guy gets out of the back of the U-Haul. I pull wife back in and step to door with Glock 41 OC on hip and tell the guy he can leave the package in the driveway.

He and the woman look startled because my wife was at door and now I am. I know they both see my Glock, they put box down, get in U-Haul and drive away.

The package was an empty box full of foam packing peanuts. Called police anyways. Got a good picture of woman from Ring Camera. Guess I am going to need to start leaving all cameras on during day.

Last week, wife has gone to take our Jack Russell and a cat to the vet. I hear back door open and someone moving around downstairs. Call wife to see if it’s her, it’s not. Call daughter to see if it’s her, it’s not. Get up, armor up, put Glock 41 on side and rack shotgun. Hear door close as I am going downstairs. Clear my way downstairs and out. Call police, tell them I had an intruder, and could they send a couple to clear house. Wife in wrestling cat and dog to car left an interior door open and an exterior door unlocked.

They come, clear the house, announce it clear. Less than 30 minutes later, same 3 police cars, and an ambulance go by my house, with sirens on. Approximately 2 blocks further up the street and one over. Retired couple got home invaded, and roughed up pretty bad. That’s the 4th suspicious thing in a little over 4 months. Can I prove this was same person, at my house and neighbors. Nope. But it’s a hell of a coincidence.

1 Like