INCREASED Situational Awareness

Am I crazy because I find myself practicing more situational awareness during this Covid19 pandemic? It seems I find myself constantly looking over my shoulder and surveying my surroundings even when I am walking my shepard in the woods alone. How many others on the forums find themselves doing the same?

13 Likes

Not me.
ā€¦

I just notice how few people put an effort into socially distancing. I make a line to get to the hams and some guy comes flying in all up in everyoneā€™s space.

3 Likes

How do you know you are alone? :smiley:

I am a bit more concerned due to hearing about things going on in the area.

1 Like

Not me.
Hey @Jerzees, Ha! Made you look, LOL :joy:
Itā€™s a running joke in my house, if you lost a sock in the laundry, you werenā€™t paying attention to your surroundings.
If I increase my situational awareness now, I will actually be placing my face in the window of every car I pass on the way the the mailbox. Because everyone is now masked I think the situational awareness becomes body language awarenessā€¦

4 Likes

I do. There are certainly less people out but there are more ā€œstrangeā€ people out. Even my kids are pointing out people around us they donā€™t know.
Outside of the people we donā€™t know, we see more wildlife. Foxes are out! Skunks are NOT.

5 Likes

W e do also. Nancy and I went to the grocery store today and many people were wearing bandanas, sunglasses and a hat. I have been carrying a small pistol in my coat pocket along with my usual CC gun, I have Nancy put her pistol in her pocket instead of her purse.
Just a little extra vigilance. :+1:

8 Likes

A little extra caution never hurts

7 Likes

Last week Wednesday Nancy called a church about three blocks from our house that she knew had a food pantry. We found out what they needed and went to Aldis and bought $80.00 of food and donated it to the pantry.
The church passes out food every Thursday and tries to give out enough food for a family of four for a week.
Now the kicker! Because of the governors mandates they were forced to close down. What?
This may have been the one thing to stop some people from turning to crime to feed their family.
This makes no sense!

5 Likes

If my situational awareness was cranked any higher while I am out. I wouldnā€™t leave home. There is no meandering through the store, I go in, get what I came for, pay and leave. I walk my dogs at night, late at night. The little barky one and my Husky.

Alot of stuff going on right now because the MSM isnā€™t reporting it, but you still hear about.

Just trying to keep my head down over this.

3 Likes

Love your new logo by the way, although iā€™m sure you donā€™t have to many ā€œGrizzā€ in ā€œBamaā€.
But in one of your coastal counties a Black Bear weighing 800+ was taken. Whooo! :+1:

1 Like

We had a picture taken 2 streets away of a brown bear. Since the Covid 19 quarantine. Plus, my history with bears, it amused me. Plus I had to get the autobiographer badge, all the cool kids had it.

1 Like

People, at least a few at a time, donā€™t want to be told what not to or do. Social distancing has had itā€™s fair share of misnomers. I for one notice that majority of people do follow the suggested 6 foot distance. It just goes to show that ignorance is bliss.

1 Like

Know the feeling, Iā€™m on highten awareness too. Canā€™t be unguarded

3 Likes

Iā€™m more aware these days even when driving. Speeding up or slowing down so I donā€™t get boxed in. Not being in the center lane at a stoplight and leaving enough room in front drive off to the side if needed.

7 Likes

My situational awareness is just a little more heightened lately by virtue of the fact of people wearing masks. Thatā€™s not to say that Iā€™m suspicious of everybody, but I have got to where I watch body language a little closer lately being that I canā€™t see facial expressions.

6 Likes

I think back to the old days in drivers ed class about leaving enough room between you and the car ahead that you can see their rear tires. That should give you room to pull out and go around if needed.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @David379!

@Joseph_1970, I am more aware because about 50% of people are a bit skittish when theyā€™re out in public right now. The other 50% donā€™t care and get way to close to me for my comfort. I try to avoid people as much as possible when Iā€™m out, there are times it just doesnā€™t work so Iā€™m more vigilant watching others.

4 Likes

Joseph, I guess my question is why donā€™t you try to be more situationally aware all the time? You are not ā€˜crazyā€™, by any means, but I believe you probably have a greater likelihood of being attacked than catching the coronavirus. Maybe this is because someone is out of work and thinks easy money is better than no money, or maybe its just because an American adult has a 1 in 3 chance of being assaulted in their lifetime. There is no way we can be 100% alert and aware at all times. But the more alert we are, the more time we will have to see and be aware there could be an attack immanent. The sooner we notice things the better we can prepare ad make the right decisions, not spontaneous decisions. Besides there have been a few reports of people being robbed in store parking lots. Highly unlikely and groceries are not worth my life, but if it goes beyond thatā€¦seeing it develop will allow you to be prepared. It doesnā€™t make you paranoid, it makes you better prepared. Learn from watching people now and apply it to your life when Corona-gedden is over. Take it for what itā€™s worth, Iā€™m just a deplorable from fly-over country.

3 Likes

I thought I was the only one doing that! Just walking around the block and I caught myself looking over my shoulder.

3 Likes