How do you train to improve your situational awareness?

It’s a typical Friday night, and you’re out to dinner with loved ones. You’re at a crowded restaurant engaged in a deep discussion about the upcoming elections or a particularly hard week at work. How often do you stop and look around?

What about when you’re filling up your car with fuel at the gas station? In line at the grocery store? Looking for that unusual ingredient that you know must be on that shelf? Do you stop and look around?

How do you train to improve your situational awareness?

6 Likes

I am always looking around wherever I go at restaurants never sit with my back to the door at the store paying attention to who comes around me or in line who comes in at the gas station always looking and moving

6 Likes

You can do simple mental exercises. E.g., look down at your table and try to remember who you saw seated around at the restaurant, what they were wearing. If you are driving, glance around and identify cars that were around you 5 minutes ago.

7 Likes

I usually have my head on a swivel when I’m out alone or with my wife and other family members. In a restaurant I’m always facing the entrance so I can see people entering and exiting the establishment. If it’s the first time in a place once I’m seated I go to the restroom to wash my hands and it gives me a chance to look around for other exits and ways out. My wife and family know my routine. They also get involved with situational awareness because the warn me of anything irregular in the establishment. When I’m walking in the mall with my wife I’m always looking around and if my wife is in a store I’m waiting outside standing with my back to a wall. I also watch a lot John Correa videos on active self defense, good source of training. The USCCA also has the proving ground which are scenarios which can happen in normal everyday life. Carry on brothers and sisters.

7 Likes

I enjoy guessing which car someone is going to get into. Helps me catch the little things and gives me immediate feedback on what I missed or what I got right.

My wife has started to join in this game but she doesn’t know I’m using it as a training tool for everyone.

5 Likes

I have to sit where I can see the entrance so that I can see at all times what is going on. New place I go on a walk about to know everything about the place. Gas stations I am always watching everything going on. Malls or stores I know if someone comes close to me or my wife. Parking lots always scanning cars

4 Likes

I too swivel. Sometimes to the point where I wonder if it is paranoia. But, in the end, I figure it is better than being blind to all that is around you.

3 Likes

To me, it’s not so much training for situational awareness, but practice and intentionality.

9 Likes

I do similar things that people have already mentioned. Positioning myself so I have the best view of the location I’m in, being aware of what other people are doing, paying attention to what’s going on around me. As @OldGnome said, I intentionally do things to keep myself reminded that I should be doing these things.

At gas stations, I try to go to a pump on the end of an outside island. Both so there’s less chances of being blocked in case I need to get away quickly, and also provided the best view of everyone without having to continuously look around.

Even at the range, I step back from my bay so that I can observe the people shooting on either side of me. If I notice inappropriate or unsafe behavior, I bring it to the attention of the range and request another bay. If none is available, I either take a break or end my session early.

4 Likes

Hard to tell if there is still something to improve regarding my situational awareness… I’m not telling I’ve reached the top of the skill set… No, no… I think that “situational awareness” in my case is the same as “avoidance”.
My current life style allows me more to “avoid” than “looking around for danger”.

• I don’t visit cinemas (few month later I can get the same movie on my home screen)
  • I do shopping once per week, mostly at the morning, avoiding crowds
  • I fuel up my car 99% at Costco, where I have less chance to meet “bad people”
  • I avoid crowds either watching events on TV or participating outside the crowd
  • I’m always aware of any consequences before attending any event

However like most of us I’m scanning my surroundings from time to time. Restaurant table has to be close to the kitchen hallway and next to the wall. Hopefully it is not a paranoia yet… :wink:

5 Likes

When learning to drive my Dad would randomly put his hand up and cover the rear view mirror, then ask me what color the car was behind me. When I started CC I had my kids help with a variation of that drill. If we went to a store they would ask me a question about how many people were in the last store isle we went through. If eating out questions about exits, and table locations. It not only helped me but I believe it made the kids more aware as well (nothing more fun that stumping Dad with a question :slight_smile: ).

4 Likes

If I know the color of the car behind me, I am spending too much effort looking in the mirror.

5 Likes

Lots of interesting posts here already. For myself, ever since I was a young adult, I’ve had issues with having my back to a door. It just has always sent the creepies up and down my spine. It still does, to this day and I avoid having a door at my back. Of course, since the virus I don’t go anywhere but the store and the range (store has a gas station as well). I do travel a bit further than necessary to my chosen store brand, but that’s to avoid the ‘bad’ side of town, which is disturbingly near to my home. Hence, the gun on my desk that my pinky keeps bumping whist using the computer’s rodent.
As my medical condition progressed towards fully disabled, I found myself being much more aware of what was going on around me as I just couldn’t get out of the way in a hurry, no matter what the reason might be. Honestly though, until I started the learning process for CCW, I don’t know that I’d call it situational awareness, as I never really paid attention to the PEOPLE, just the proximity of vehicles.
This has changed dramatically though. Now I watch, listen, and make sure I have a good idea of where people are and what they are doing. My phone is in my pocket, not my hand. Even while shopping, I watch people and their actions.
I don’t want to ever draw my gun, but should it be necessary, I want enough warning to draw it before the bad guy reaches me. All that being said, I don’t automatically reach for my gun if I hear running behind me, I look, assess the situation, and then make any decision needed. After all, you for sure don’t want to draw down on some kid running to catch up with mom, you know?
For me, situational awareness is not only knowing when a threat is approaching, but knowing when someone approaching is NOT a threat.
Just my 0.02c

5 Likes

You sir would have had to pull the car over and lost your driving turn for the day :slight_smile:

He was big on peripheral vision and seeing everything at once.

1 Like

@OldGnome, I agree, I do not pay close attention to how many people there are, nor the colors of their clothing or vehicles, etc. If something catches my eye, those are things I do note, as well as any other identifying characteristics (i.e., hat, glasses, backpack, etc.). I pay closer attention to behavior, facial expressions, demeanor, intent, other cues; depending on circumstances, that may include how many people, such what may appear to be a gang or some such group, and pay attention to my gut instinct when that feeling hits. I have had several instances during my leisure travel that I feel my awareness kept me and my family safe.

4 Likes

{shrug}

I stand by my statement.

I need to know the car is there. I don’t need to know anything else about the car unless its position changes.

2 Likes

Just comes natural to me. Grew up with all kinds of bad folks. Now being on in my years & legal I’ve added scenarios to my everyday life. Man I must be bored out of my mind…

5 Likes

20 or so years wearing a :star: target on your chest tends to make you a little hyper-vigilant.

10 Likes

I said it before but i can’t remember what post it was on.

When out with my family me and the kids have a game I called “Spot the knife before Dad”.

My oldest is getting decent at it so it may be time to up the game to include concealed firearms too.

2 Likes

Deer hunt. Follow me on this. You are in the woods, trying not to spook anything, make noise, or be noticed. You see everything twitchy leaf. Hear every stick crunch.

I also am just hyper vigilant about my surroundings. Always have been. I don’t trust people I don’t know.

6 Likes