Protect Yourself While Shopping?

I admit it - I had to run out this weekend and get dog food and caulk for my shower (perfect time for my old caulk to give way). There were more people at the store than I would have expected! My situational awareness was on high alert and I avoided people as much as possible. The most threatening sound was someone coughing… and they were given a WIDE birth.

How has your typical shopping trip changed in light of the recent health situation?

6 Likes

Since I just returned from a trip, I noticed the disparity on what people are, or not, doing at different locations. Arizona and Utah was cautious. Nevada was like every single person had the plague, and you would be shot if you coughed. Idaho was fairly laid back, and Montana is similar. Shopping is quite different in those locations too.

My trips, so far, have not really changed much. I don’t eat out either, so that is not different.

4 Likes

I work 2nd shift so my shopping trips are usually 1AM Saturday on my way home from my Friday shift. The main thing that has changed is that the stores I go to are no longer 24/7 so I have to mage a separate trip on Saturday evening to get my weekly supplies.

I always have at least a months worth of non-perishable food in my cupboard that mostly just sits there. This is mostly canned soup, spaghetti O’s, things I can just open the can and eat if I have no means to cook/prepare meals. Then I have about two weeks of regular food i.e fridge/freezer stuff and ingredients for meals that need to be prepared. Then I just replenish what I consume each week. If for whatever reason I can’t get to the store I’ve got a little over a months worth of food.

5 Likes

We don’t all go now. Only me or my wife. Usually me. I try to go during the non peak hours.

5 Likes

I’m definitely in higher alert and not thrilled to be out right now myself. I am happy to experience people respecting safe distance.

4 Likes

We order online and have more stuff shipped. We do NOT go out for unnecessary items. We avoid people in general populated areas and certainly do not go to grocery stores. Yes we are preppers and do not go out before the pandemic, but now, it seems others are adopting the same practical practices.

3 Likes

I have found that I’m more polite than usual. I don’t really understand why… I should be more on edge, but I’m not. The stores still have food. We might not have jobs, but there is still food.

6 Likes

I walk my dogs at night, and I got 6+ months of supplies laid in. I am not going near anyone not letting anyone near me.

5 Likes

My SA radar has gone off a couple of times, not sure if I am on edge or just encountered some ‘suspicious’ people. Nothing happened, one I think was me being on edge, one I suspect was a potential ‘con artist’ in the parking lot.

Who knows, but I don’t like going out, people seem a bit tense.

4 Likes

Wisconsin will effectively shut down tomorrow. all good here. We have not had any incidents here, everyone has been polite and helpful.The P.D and S.O. will still respond to calls but have asked that the complainant come outside the LEO will not enter your house. Stay safe Bruce and Nancy. :wink:

5 Likes

Its been pretty quiet in the stores - people, but fewer than I’d have expected. And with more in their carts. Both MI and MO have been like that. People are well behaved, polite, business-like. Nothing strange happening, no fights.

I’m not feeling more nervous than usual, but I’m staying aware and alert when I’m out. The hubby’s not going because he’s in a higher risk category.

6 Likes

Michigan too… “stay-home” order in force at midnight. Not happening in MO at the moment.

5 Likes

We went “stay at home” today at 5 PM.

5 Likes

I had to run out to get a prescription yesterday and Target was virtually empty (my CVS is in Target). I think I saw all of 6 people who weren’t staff. And I did wash my hands thoroughly when I got home.

5 Likes

In my town I’m no more nervous than normal. I’m more aware but not nervous.

However. I have to travel from Little Rock to St. Louis 3 times a week and when I’m out of town I’m on high alert and get anxious at times that I’m gonna have to get creative to get home. I’m seen first hand what the citizens of St. Louis are capable of when civil unrest happens and it’s not a place I’m excited about being potentially trapped.

6 Likes

The main change is there are a lot fewer trips and I go into the store alone. I have also taken on shopping for my Mom rather than have her risk going out. I probably looked like I was buying more than I needed but I was shopping for two households. One thing we have added to the protocol when leaving the place is we wash up with a soap called Hibiclens which is used in hospitals (when you smell it you will recognize it). It is supposed have a residual effect for hours after use. The idea is that if I do come in contact it “hopefully” will not be able to live on my skin. I still use hand sanitizer before getting back into the truck after shopping.

5 Likes

I have made a couple runs to the grocery store, to the office supply store, to the range and to Best Buy. Everything was cool except the first trip to Kroger where there were long, relatively close together. There were some tense times where people seemed to be getting ready to cut in lines and folks looked ready to defend their positions. PERSEC and situational awareness are critical today.
I also stopped to get gas and within hours I started getting alerts on my credit card. I didn’t notice it but there must have been a skimmer on the pump. Navy Federal contacted me, cancelled the card and rejected the 3 purchases attempted before the card was locked out. A new card was delivered the next morning.

4 Likes

The couple times I have ventured forth, I have been amazed at how many people are pretending like everything is normal. I had to dodge a couple groups of employees huddled up yakking, and an entire family congregated around their shopping cart. I have tried to be aware of keeping little contact, and carrying sanitizer, since I am old and decrepit.

3 Likes

I’ve been walking my dogs or taking them to the dog park almost daily and everytime there have been these puppy piles of teenagers 10 or so. Then they want to come pet my dogs and then I have to tell them sorry I’m under quarantine, wouldn’t want to risk anything.

I don’t want to start the whole you kids are being idiots thing.

5 Likes

I am not sure if I am lucky or unlucky. I will continue to go to work even thought most of our work force is working from home/remotely. Our business is on the list of those who should continue to operate if possible and I am considered an essential person to be at the office.

I have seen more cars in our parking lots on weekends than I do now during the week and I still have lots to do. Maybe with most of the people out of the office I can actually get some things done.

All that being said it sure is nice to drive to and from work without all the crazy dont know how to drive people on the roads.

3 Likes