Black Friday Shopping Safety?

My daughter and mother have a great time Black Friday shopping together every year. They wear fun (ugly) Christmas sweaters so they stand out and can find each other in a crowd.

They’ve listened to my warnings about crowded places, standing out too much, and knowing where the exits are - and they’re OK with the risk. And I’m OK with that because we cannot stop living our lives out of fear that the worst can happen.

What safety tips do you give to loved ones who go Black Friday shopping, to concerts, or other crowded places where they can’t carry?

4 Likes

Avoid the crowds, avoid the lines, stay warm, stay safe … SHOP ONLINE! Amazon probably has what you’re looking for!

15 Likes

I thought that a big risk for Black Friday shopping was getting crushed into a locked door and run over by hordes of shoppers. Be safe. The last time I went shopping on Black Friday was when I waited in line for 6 hours at Cabelas for some $10 shoes (regularly $90). The line wrapped around the entire building 2 1/2 times in sub freezing weather. First and last time I’ll be doing that.

3 Likes

I’ve done black Friday shopping. I had just gotten out of college and wanted to get my parents something nice for Christmas but didn’t have the funds. This was years ago and mass shootings weren’t all over the news the way they are now. I went to Kohl’s at 6am on my way into work and got what I needed and was at work by 8am. :slight_smile:

Now I just meet my daughter and mom for brunch after they’ve been shopping for hours.

One security tip I always remind people who don’t have a trunk is to cover what’s in your car so people don’t break in.

5 Likes

Definitely a first-world problem. I stay safe by not going anywhere near a retail establishment on black friday.

6 Likes

I love that idea!!!

4 Likes

My response, just say no. My son tries to get me to go with him and his wife. Restaurants maybe, stores, ain’t happening.

2 Likes

Agree 100%

2 Likes

If you absolutely feel the need to join the maddening Black Friday crowd, be aware of who is around you and of anyone who looks shifty, out of place, or is acting out of the ordinary. Could be someone with a heavy coat or backpack indoors. Could be someone looking around/scanning the area continuously. Could be someone spending too much time in an area who doesn’t appear to have any interest in shopping and doesn’t appear to be waiting on someone who may be shopping. Also note exits and places for cover as you enter a mall and all stores you enter. For all stores, there is a main entrance. Is there a back door out? Condition yellow and common sense all the way - although I think anyone shopping in crowds on Black Friday may be guilty of violating the later :wink:

PS: This topic would make for an ideal USCCA scenario video series, no?

5 Likes

Well the first tip we use is do our best to proactively plan purchases and events. So in regards to black Friday we refuse to participate. There are 300+ days in the year, be patient and shop online during non-holiday and peak shopping periods. If you must participate in the asinine hedonist consumerism in-person use a team or at least a partner to help watch your back and wallet. Bringing a partner always allows you to divide your efforts and hunt down different discounted items. For protection bring at the very least pepperspray and if you can a collapsible baton if legally allowed. Lastly always mind your surroundings stuff is not worth your safety. Good luck and hopefully you will not participate with the consumerist nightmares like black Friday in the future.

3 Likes

Don’t leave purchases in easy to see areas, try to keep them covered in the cargo area or trunk. Park back in against a wall or barrier making access to the trunk/hatch difficult.

Keep aware of surroundings, especially after purchasing high dollar items. No matter how good the deal if the location is less than desirable pay a little more elsewhere.

We shop locally away from the circus prone locations , and go to stores that draw less traffic and social class drama. They still have the same selection, it’s just less likely to have an event.

3 Likes

I make lists all year long for my wife, my daughter, and my son-in-law. When Christmas shopping rolls around, I do it all from the comfort of my desk chair in front of my laptop.

I hate shopping in stores.

2 Likes

I’m behind you on that!

Recent events just made it even paranoid to go shopping on top of the hate I’ve already had for going shopping.

2 Likes

@Dawn You can never have to many ugggly Christmas Sweaters Dawn Like AMEX Don’t leave home without it.

3 Likes

Looks like Kevin is thinking about the same topics I am again…

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/black-friday-dangers-are-you-ready/

3 Likes

I’m thinking Black Friday is a great day to be in the woods looking for Mr. Big Buck. My phone has been blowing up with “Pre-Black Friday Deals” all week, some of which I have taken advantage of. Saving $20 to deal with the crowds is just not worth it to me. As a matter of fact it’s not even worth it to me to be on the roads as people totally forget that there are other cars on the road.

I’ma be tucked into my hunting spot with a big fat turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and mayo sammich with leftover Reese’s peanut butter cups from Halloween.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

YeeeaahNOPE! Not going. I’ll be online with the rest of y’all.

Except my hubby has a doctor’s appointment :woman_facepalming:
Guess I won’t be avoiding the traffic. :unamused:

4 Likes

This sales creep thing… where will it all end?!? Pretty soon we’ll be getting pre-pre-black friday sales starting in July :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I work on Black Friday, and my wife and son stay at home and put up our Christmas tree. Any Black Friday shopping for us, is either online, or at the gun store.

3 Likes

My wife is working Black Friday and taking a break from her annual trip to Cinci to see her sister and niece and I will be lounging some, working some and catching up on something somewhere. And I will have some leftover turkey and mashed potatoes.

7 Likes