Traveling to Illinois (but not Chicago)

I’m trying to condense my research on Illinois gun laws a little and wanted to ask our the locals in the community a couple questions about prohibitions.
From what I can gather, IL does not have a general “assault rifle” ban but some cities/counties such as Chicago/Cook do. Recent research appears to show that a statewide ban failed to get out of committee. Is this correct?
It also seems like there are no general magazine capacity bans, again, except in Chicago, Cook County and Oak Park?
Automatic knives appear to be prohibited unless you have a FOID?
It appears an ASP collapsible baton is legal as long as it is not carried in a building of a unit of government?

2 Likes

Will try to answer the questions as best as I can. Not a LEO or lawyer, YMMV

From what I can gather, IL does not have a general “assault rifle” ban but some cities/counties such as Chicago/Cook do. Recent research appears to show that a statewide ban failed to get out of committee. Is this correct?

When IL put CCW permits into play, there was a compromise in that bill that allowed local governments to ban assault weapons over a short period. After that date, the state preempted their ability to do so, but left those laws intact. Recently, one of the northern Chicago suburbs tried to “modify” a bill, claiming that the ban was merely the modification of an existing storage regulation. An injunction precluded that for being enforced and it’s headed to the state supreme court. So, in short, you are correct as of July, 2019 (things can change quickly in the Democratic super-majority legislature here.)

It also seems like there are no general magazine capacity bans, again, except in Chicago, Cook County and Oak Park?

Tricky question - is a handgun magazine part of a handgun (and therefore subject to the state’s preemption) or not. If not, then the local regulations are/may be enforceable. If so, they would not be. Not aware of any recent prosecutions or tests, probably because those jurisdictions fear the outcome.

Automatic knives appear to be prohibited unless you have a FOID?

A recent change makes that true. But you must also be 21 or over.

It appears an ASP collapsible baton is legal as long as it is not carried in a building of a unit of government?

Again, as in all things in IL, tricky. It is ILLEGAL to carry a billy club or similar if your intent is to use it unlawfully. Some have opined that carrying in in self defense is lawful and therefore allowed. The statutes are sufficiently vague to make it possible to be arrested and need to fight the charge with a crap shoot as to what the perspective is of the prosecutor assigned and/or judge.

Again, as I said, not an attorney or cop - just trying to understand the narrow space of my constitutional rights in this state.

2 Likes

I literally called every legal entity in Illinois today trying to get answers like this. All I did was get transferred or referred to another office./ I am traveling there as well and finally had to get my answers from calling the USCCA. It is way to confusing and overly complicated IMO.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community and thank you for your response. Funny thing is I’m retired LEO and an attorney but still find IL laws to be extremely vague and confusing.
I appreciate your insights!

2 Likes

Our laws (IL)are crafted that way as you say “extremely vague” Thanks to Big Mike Madigan

1 Like

Also, Illinois does not recognize any other states ccw license. But, you can carry in your car as you travel through. Just don’t get out. What part of the state are you traveling to?

1 Like

Chicago area, ya not excited about that part. Our Son is graduating from Navy basic training there. I actually was born in Rockford but didn’t grow up there. From what I read, it’s listed as the most dangerous city in America with a population less then 200k. Sad because I was hoping to go visit where I was born. All those leftist gun control measures sure are failing!

2 Likes

I’ll be in the Mount Vernon area. My LEOSA credentials will work in IL and surprisingly even Chicago accepts them, at least CPD does. I just need to decide what needs to decide whether the knife, baton, spare mags and rifle need to come out before the trip.

1 Like

My daughter live in Chicago now in a high-rise that is posted no weapons. She is completely happy with living in a gun free zone. She can shoot but does not want to and wouldn’t consider having a gun. I, on the other hand, carry everywhere.
I got a call from her last night. It seems that yesterday morning while she was in bed, she heard someone come in to her apartment. She wasn’t sure at first but then she heard someone on their phone in her kitchen. She confronted the person who responded “This isn’t my apartment!” He apologized and then left.
My skin was crawling! She had NOTHING to defend herself.
It turns out that the guy lived across the hall and, for some reason, his key-fob unlocked her door. He was distracted on the phone as he got off the elevator and went to her door instead of his. The floor plans are identical so it can happen. It wasn’t until he was confronted and looked at the furnishings that he realized what happened.
Luckily, it wasn’t a thief or worse, but it scares the hell out of me.

1 Like

Mt Vernon is in the southern part of the state, and very Pro2a area. Carry on. And go eat at A Fine Swine. Great BBQ.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, 2 things
1.Don’t have you phone in hand while driving. As of July 1st, it’s a moving violation.
2.The state police are ramping up patrols today, especially in construction zones. There are 2 for sure From Benton (exit 71) to Mt Vernon(exit 95).

3 Likes

Illinois is a pain to live in!! We can conceal and carry but they don’t accept any other states conceal!! It’s no wonder everyone is moving from here!!

3 Likes

By the way, I made it there and back without incident.

2 Likes

@MikeBKY, how did you like our “IL all-year-round” construction zones :wink:

I didn’t hit much construction going from KY to Mt. Vernon IL. But the roads, interstate state county and local were generally horrendous! Regular roads that are now gravel. Makes you wonder where all the tax money goes.

Quick question, @MikeBKY, is there anything we could add to our reciprocity map and gun laws page about IL that would help you and others?

I would love to give any feedback to our awesome researcher here!

Thanks!!

1 Like

:joy:
I know… but it’s prohibited to tell… :rofl:

2 Likes

Come to Ipac45’s house to eat lunch. Once your in the driveway, I give you permission to carry on my premises. I’ll even through lunch on the grill, if it’s my day off. :grin:

2 Likes

I think the reciprocity map accurately reflects the current law in Illinois. It was my main source and starting point for all of my research.

3 Likes