Trauma kit

@Peter168 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you here. :us:

5 Likes

@Nathan57 , how many gunshot victims have you rendered aid?

The number for me is zero, but I am pretty sure the number for @Craig6 is much higher than average, so when he takes the time to write something up, I pay attention.

5 Likes

Obviously we should stay away from Craig…

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Peter168 and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Peter168. It’s great to have you with us.

3 Likes

I appreciate that, but I have enough training to know that a TCCC TQ is better than shoe laces, that you can’t TQ everything (such as the junctions), and that I’d rather have gauze than my t-shirt. Definitely training and even better training + experience is great, especially if you are forced to make due with less than desired available materials

2 Likes

What is a “junction”?

I don’t have much First-aid training, but it would seem the bad part about using a shoe lace tied in a constrictor knot is the only way to release it is to cut it off, and then you would need another shoe lace, or equivalent, to replace it, but hopefully EMS will arrive before it needs to be released.

3 Likes

Junction is where limbs meets torso*. Hip, armpit area. It’s not your torso, there aren’t internal organs and cavities in there, but you can’t effectively stop bleeding via a tourniquet either.

Shoe laces are also less than idea because they are narrow.

If you have a USCCA Platinum or Elite level membership a great place to start is Qualifications Level 2 where you can find Emergency First Aid Fundamentals.

YouTube has some great channels and content also

4 Likes

@Nathan57 the point of my post was that while having immediate access to bandages, tourniquets and other stuff is a bonus I would submit that most of us don’t walk around with a Ricky Rescue pack on our hips. Its in the car/truck, in your desk, under the stairs and more than likely not at your fingertips when you need it most.

The sentient point is to have in your BRAIN a way to address the issues when you may or may not have access to the good stuff. In my world we called it “Ditch medicine” or “You got what you rolled in with, figure it out.” I carried tampons in my blow out kit. Why? they are made to absorb blood and fit well in bullet holes and long lacerations and take up very little space. They also make you a hero with the fairer sex should the need arise. I like COBAN not tape because you can effectively turn a pressure dressing into a tourniquet with a stick. The use of a T-shirt is not to soak up blood but to create a mound of something that you can compress (with COBAN) or a strip of pants/shirt/jacket. I’d prefer it not be dirty, greasy or sweaty but I can treat the infection AFTER I save your life. Trauma medicine is actually pretty easy on the field side, if you can’t stabilize them in the first 10 minutes (some say 5) they are done.

The worst part is knowing there is not a damn thing you can do and telling them “You’ll be OK, stay with me.” and praying for a miracle that isn’t coming as they bleed out in your arms.

Cheers,

Craig6

9 Likes

An IFAK is with me all the times. There’s a TQ and Sharpee, Combat Gauze, Z-fold gauze, vented chest seals, trauma dressing, trauma shears, nitrile gloves, space blanket, and a boo-boo kit,

My car has a more extensive kit and my home has a large kit with an AED (Hey, my wife and I are over 65, so CPR and the AED training became part of our lives :slight_smile: ).

Skinny Medic and Prep Medic on YouTube have provided me with greater insight as to what can happen. Skinny Medic does After-Action Reports where he shows different scenarios of events taken by bodycams. BEWARE: They can be bloody, but focusing on saving a life can distract you enough to let your training take over.

7 Likes

In the SAR unit I was on, our individual first aid kits were minimal, like they’d fit in a quart size ziplock baggie (waterproof, you could see what was in them).
We were trained to used what was at hand for tourniquets, splints, etc. and radio for a stokes basket if a chopper couldn’t fly in for evacuation.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity upon reading this, I grabbed a 1 quart ziplock and some stuff from the bleeding control kit insode my Pantry door.

NAR Combat Application Tourniquet
Celox 3"x5’ henostatic gauze
4" Israeli bandage
4.5"x4.1yards compressed gauze
Room left for chest seals if you please (it’s still kind of loose with some gaps)

Although it generally is more like this (6" ETD not 4", and also two pairs gloves, and pictoral + written instructions)

6 Likes

@Gary_H I watch this guy a lot and have learned much. Nancy and I will watch a vid and then go back step by step and practice what we learned. :+1:

7 Likes

I have a North American Rescue Roo M-FAK on what I consider my EDC bag. That bag goes back and forth between my home, vehicle and office. I have essentially a duplicate of those or similar contents in my laptop bag inside my office. I convinced my employer to stage trauma kits around the workplace. The contents mimic the kit above.

As others have stated, what you have with you when it happens is all that you have. On body I don’t carry an actual medical. But I carry a bandana in one rear pocket, a handkerchief in the other, and card with duct tape wrapped around it with the handkerchief. I can improvise a lot of medical with that wherever I may be if something happens. With what I have on body and what I can find quickly in my environment, I can pack a wound, make a tourniquet (would need to find an improvised windlass), make a pressure dressing, and improvise a chest seal (not a vented chest seal, which I get is not idea, however, it has saved lives before).

In addition to gear, get training. Stop the Bleed is held all over the US for free.

6 Likes

I just put together trauma kits for my wife and my truck. I kept it really cheap and simple for now. I put SWATT tourniquets, a bunch of gauze and a basic first aid kit. I’ll build on it as I go, but I figure at least we have some things to hold us over if we are waiting for EMTs or to hold us together for a ride to the ER.

Going to also put similar supplies in my back pack for when I’m out with the family. The kids are always testing their limits …

8 Likes

True Story. Several years ago I witnessed an automobile accident in real time on I-80. It was crazy, a car rolled and I watched bodies come out of the windows etc. I ran over to the scene, with the First Aid Kit from my Jeep in hand. 2 of the people obviously didn’t survive. 3 were seriously injured, I set to work doing what I could, (I think they call it ABC?). I was in way over my head when a lady runs up looks at me and the scene, winks and says “Thanks” grabbed my First Aid Kit and ran over to help one of the injured. Come to find out, she was a trauma nurse. Later she came over to me and said “I am so glad you had one of those large industrial First Aid Kits…”. We carry First Aid Kits set up for remote heavy construction sites.

12 Likes

Howdy! EDC Would be on my left ankle, Chest seal , rat tourniquet, Quick clot gauze and gloves
, and a bigger medical kit in the truck, stay safe you all

9 Likes

What ankle kit do you use? I have contemplated going that route for medical.

2 Likes

I carry the Warrior Poet ankle kit from Skinny Medic. I have fat ankles so I had to leave out the NFA and the chest seals. That leaves Trauma shears, SOF T tourniquet, Packing gauze and a small pressure dressing. I threw in a small AAA Olight flashlight because it takes so little room.

You are more likely to use your trauma kit in daily life than you are your CCW.

9 Likes

Good to see you back here @Jerold !