Trauma kit

Who’s carrying a medical/trauma kit as part of their EDC? What do you carry? How do you carry it?

7 Likes

I do not carry one EDC, but have a kit on my range bag (plus an extra tourniquet) for whenever I am shooting. Got it at Mountain Man Medical, where they have a good selection of full kits and IFAKs for EDC ankle carry.

4 Likes

I have an My Medic personal kit on my belt. It has a chest seal, tourniquet, quick clot gauze,gloves
So far it is comfortable and I like it alot

5 Likes

In my Jeep but not on my person.

9 Likes

I admire you guys…bit I’m lucky if I remember socks.

10 Likes

On my person, I always carry a CAT Tourniquet and QuickClot Combat Gauze. I have the rest of my EDC backpack that sometimes stays in the car, depending on what type of place I am going into. I am considering getting an ankle med kit so I can maximize what I have on body.

6 Likes

I carry an extensive trauma kit in my bag that is always with me, also have a similar kit in the bedroom in a tote. I recently made up an emergency burn kit and purchased a Life Vac Home kit for chocking. With the Grand Baby’s here so much (age’s 2yrs. and 4mos.) I need to be prepared for anything. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Quick clot & gloves on me and full kit in truck. My question is if you’re ever in a defense situation, and injure someone, you should render assistance if they’re alive, right? If you’re not a certified medical pro., can that give the perp’s family footing for litigation? I ask that only because I know someone who was going to be a 1st responder, and was told to get insurance, which is somewhat costly here for that. This is because as a first responder you can be sued for just about anything it seems. The average person thinks, well if you saved the person’s life, it should be alright. That’s not how reality is, though.

4 Likes

It’s the thing that’s right on the line for me. Sometimes it makes it with me, sometimes it doesn’t.

I have a full IFAK+ in both vehicles as well as the home, but in an emergency those things might as well be on the moon.

I sometimes carry a fold flat 4" trauma bandage and sometimes carry a SAM (TCCC approved) TQ. The H&H 4" bandage thing is the smallest I’ve found. A 4" Israeli removed from its outer pack isn’t too bad either.

My backpack has a mid level kit of 4" ETD, NAR CAT, petrolatum gauze, compressed gauze, gloves, tape but it doesn’t go on me most of the time (then again most of the time I’m close to my car…like I’m almost never farther than in the store with car in the parking lot away from my car)

5 Likes

Personal decision.

If this person just attacked you, or worse put you at risk of imminent serious bodily harm or death, you probably don’t want to be within arms reach of them due to the danger.

Definitely call 911 for police and an ambulance ASAP

4 Likes

Carry on my body, not just for me, but possibly the person next to me.

5 Likes

I carry an extensive trauma kit in my vehicle, and it goes into the range with me.
As for a list of stuff in it, I have all sorts of bandaging, wraps, 4 torniquets, medical super glue, sanitizing solution, iodine, burn cream, aspirin, butterfly Band-Aids, Hemostatic bandages, sterol gloves, open chest seal, and eye drops. That’s just to begin with.

5 Likes

I have a “flat pack” of QuickClot Combat Gauze in a back pocket and a CAT Tourniquet in an ankle holster. Full trauma kits in the car and range bag.

5 Likes

Not everyday, but I have one in my range bag. On my backpack, I have a kit with a tourniquet among other things.

5 Likes

Made up rule of four +: Home, Car, Range-Bag, Job (4 for sure); 5th on person if you can. So far, got 4.

5 Likes

Good on you. :+1: We are our own first responders.

4 Likes

The most effective and efficient trauma kit is between your ears. A sharp knife is a big bonus. All the cool Gucci stuff is great but if your ride is across the parking lot you would best be served with a McGyver mentality and a bit of training or knowledge.

Chest seal: If you put one on you’ve been there wayy too long and it won’t work.
Quick Clot: You should have used a tourniquet.
“Combat Gauze”: T shirt works better and is right now.
Israeli Bandage: This is a good thing, but the outside seam from a pair of blue jeans and a T-Shirt work.
Tourniquet: Seam from blue jeans, boot/shoe laces, belts generally suck, twisted t-shirt.

The reality is you will be in “proper medical care” in less than 15 - 30 minutes in most of the country.

Prevent large fluid loss. Tourniquet
Plug holes to keep them from leaking. Stuff something in the hole
Don’t move stuff that doesn’t need to be moved. That said drag them to safety if the position is untenable
All chest wounds suck. Yep.
Gut shot won’t kill you today but next week it will suck. Not your problem keep moving.
Head wounds mean move on to the next guy. Pretty simple.

Maximize effect, minimize exposure. If you can stop to work on them, you can drag them to cover and should first.

Cheers,

Craig6

15 Likes

One of the most complete kits I have found is from 5.11, has burn patches, clotting bandages, bandages, cloves however no tourniquet, the USCCA kit has gloves, a heavy bandage, a clothes ripper or seatbelt cutter and a great tourniquet (at a reasonable price too). My point learn about how to use, use a trauma kit as a start and expect to add to it.

6 Likes

You can’t use a TQ everywhere. Can’t really TQ the junctions. Hence quick clot and other hemostatic agents.

I’d much rather have a TQ or a freshly opened ETD/Izzy than a knife to cut my shorts or pants (which aren’t denim) so a dirty sweaty covered in ___ from what has been happening all day to try to stuff into the wound (yes let’s shove dirt from our clothing into the wound to pack it lol no thanks).

This shouldn’t be a “do you want training, or do you want first aid gear accessible” question…it’s kind of supposed to be both

And one of the reasons I harp on people who carry 2-3 spare magazines but don’t carry any first aid. Don’t leave all your first aid in your car that may as well be on the moon so you can carry two guns size knives and eight magazines…carry a gun, a non lethal, and some first aid

/rant

7 Likes

Check 360 life safety, they have a range of great trauma kits. I carry tourniquets, wound packing and a few other trauma items in a backpack.

5 Likes