Medical Gear steps up

Today my wife and I were out shopping. I was getting my vehicle to pull up to the front of the store to load an item. I saw two pre elderly women come out the doors, all of a sudden one of the women fell and hit her face and chin on the pavement. Parked my vehicle and grabbed my Medical Gear Bag from the back and ran to the injured woman. Quickly inspected her wounds. Proceeded to get Quick Clot bandages and had her use one with pressure on her chin and had the woman that was with her hold one with pressure on her forehead. It was only minutes and an EMS vehicle arrived and took over.
I can attest to the Quick Clot Bandages, they do work Quickly, the bleeding stopped by the time the EMS pulled up.
Having the correct gear and doing the training is essential.
Not only for range time or hunting.
Med. Gear bag in vehicle, one in rv and one at home. The home one goes to the range with us also.

24 Likes

Way to go! :+1:
We are the same, multiple kits around the house and vehicles. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Great work.

More people need to carry medical stuff. You are more likely to use it than a firearm.

I had an incident as a young child where I had a squirting arterial bleed. If my parents hadn’t applied direct pressure, I likely would have bleed to death.

14 Likes

Great work! I carry a full medical kit in my truck and in the boat, plus have a fully stocked cabinet at home. I do not have the Quick Clot bandages, though. Need to look into that.

15 Likes

@William377 If you haven’t already, check out our preparedness topic, we are always looking for ideas, training and stories from other members. :face_with_head_bandage:

September Is National Preparedness Month 2023 - Bullet Points - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

6 Likes

Great response to the situation. We have them in our range gear as well as IFAKS for ourselves. We have around the house also. I had just bought one for my wife’s Infinite but last week I was looking to store an spare quart of oil when I found a compartment we did not know we had. The car came with a medical emergency kit. Who would have thunk it.

5 Likes

One IFAK in the wife’s car, two in mine and a pretty full spectrum boo-boo bag in my car too :+1:

4 Likes

Here’s combat gauze by quik clot, 4 yards of gauze.
QuikClot Combat Gauze LE | Hemostatic Agents (rescue-essentials.com)

and here’s Quik Clot, 4 feet of gauze
QuikClot® Dressing, 3" x 4 ft (rescue-essentials.com)

and if you’d like a kit, I would suggest this, though it don’t come with quik clot. Stop The Bleed - Dual Treatment Kit - Intermediate - Rescue Essentials (rescue-essentials.com)

another good ifak I would suggest which does come with quikclot
The “Yellowstone” Trauma Kit - Mountain Man Medical | Mountain Man Medical

5 Likes

I have a lot of ems training and my wife is an RN, I carry a small ifak on my belt and we both have 2 large kits in our vehicles. The only thing we have added recently are cervical collars since my wife saw a vehicle accident happen and the only thing she needed was a collar. And yes quick clot works great.

4 Likes

By the way guys, quick clot powder and gauze are great for surface or relatively shallow open cuts but for deep puncture wounds like a knife stab or a shot nothing beats Z fold combat bandages. They are not cheap but they are the best at stopping deep arterial bleeds and could mean the difference between life or death when faced with deep wounds. I have them in all my kits next to the tourniquets and compression bandages.

4 Likes

Ditto sir. Combat gauze for the junctional areas is absolutely critical to stop an arterial bleed. If you have a tourniquet, combat gauze with kaolin, a good pressure bandage like the Israeli type, and a 2 pack of chest seals; then you are pretty well provisioned for a lot of combat type trauma.

Edit: i hasten to add that these items are a bare minimum. One can add an emergency space blanket which are easily added to treat shock. Also maybe add a nasopharangeal airway tube, lubricated. Both take up very little additional room in a “blowout” kit. There are many great YouTube videos on the subject.

2 Likes

This is what I have in my bag that goes with everywhere and stay in my vehicle, office or home. I added a SWAT-T tourniquet and shears to it.

3 Likes

Nice kit! North American Rescue makes very good stuff.

3 Likes

I have 4 space blankets in the Jeep and they go out anytime we hike, one per person. Good ones are cheap and weigh nothing. I also have Mylar ponchos and a few water bottles in the Jeep at all times.

3 Likes

Yes sir, roger that. Great idea. I heard a medic on a video put out something I had never heard. He said that blood starts clotting poorly when the core temperature of the patient goes below 95 degrees. He said that the space blankets are pretty important. He also indicated that having some sort of clothing or insulating material under the space blanket was preferable. Very interesting.

4 Likes

We were taught something similar in training.

3 Likes

Heat loss through conduction. :cold_face:

4 Likes

I keep a massive first aide backpack in all my vehicles and in the house. I figure even if I dont know how to use something someone who does may show up,

6 Likes

I regularly carry an ankle first aid kit with tourniquet, a pair of chest seals, gauze, quick clock gauze, shears.
You are absolutely correct more people should get medical training , ie Stop The Bleed and Cary a small med kit.
I have tourniquets in every backpack and vehicle I own, including on me while using a chainsaw.
Purchase some tourniquets and learn how to use them.
Make sure to purchase them from bona fide medical companies as there are poor knock offs online.
The life you save may be your own

PS they make great gifts

Edit: after reading many of the other comments I realize I am preaching to the choir

7 Likes

I have a couple of friends who serve/served in the Dustoff Unit in Afghanistan. They often said the number one most used medical item were their tourniquets. When I was putting my First Aide bags together they said carry multiple tourniquets. I put 4 in each bag. As you correctly point out, buy good ones and learn to use them. You may need multiple for a single incident or for multiple people, ie. a car crash.

I also agree with the chest seals and Quickclot bandages. No one should shoot without these minimum of items nearby.

Each summer about 10 of us would meet out in the middle of nowhere near Mt.Hood for 3 or 4 day “shooting camp-outs”. Between us there were probably 15 trauma kits and 40 plus tourniquets. Fortunately, never had an accident.

edit… a couple of spelling errors corrected

4 Likes