Medical Gear steps up

You were absolutely correct! It’s hard to have too many tourniquet. I have them in each back door pocket of each vehicle that way I can tell someone “open the back door and you will find one in the pocket”. Just like when using a firearm under stress you must keep things simple for people. When you need a tourniquet you need one now and it can’t be an Easter egg hunt.

The other pet peeve of mine is when people say “anything can be used as a tourniquet”. Is an arterial bleed on a loved one the time to be experimenting with impromptu tourniquet? Of course the answer is no!

I believe I mentioned this on these pages before but several years ago I read an article which said 80% of accident ( not just vehicle) related deaths in the United States are the result of people bleeding to death. Just think how many lives could be saved by people learning to take the simplest of steps.

I actually had a friend tell me the other day that he does not know how to perform CPR.
I leaned in closely to where only he could hear me and said, “shame on you“

4 Likes

We all know the saying;

It’s better to have and not need than
To need and not have…

4 Likes

2-Delivered today. Now I have everything in one package. :fire:

Amazon.com: RHINO RESCUE Burn Kit, 4pcs Burn Dressings 4x4”, 8pcs Burn Gel Packets 3.5g, 4pcs Non-Adherent Burn Pads, Burn First Aid Cooling Soothing Cream Relief with Bandage, Nitrile Gloves, Scissors, Tape : Industrial & Scientific

3 Likes

If you don’t know what it is you need in a medical kit, there are quite a few of the medical companies online who sell “stop the bleed” kits.
I know chinook medical makes a nice one and allows you to pick which type tourniquet you would like packaged in the kit. Plus I believe they are veteran owned

2 Likes

Nah. Keep preaching it!

I have thought about the ankle kit. Which one do you use? I have a nephew that uses warrior poets. How hard is it to get used to? Do people notice in on you?

3 Likes

I knocked around getting one for a while and for my birthday one year my girlfriend picked one up for me. It wasn’t very comfortable and I found myself not wearing it so believe it or not I bought one from the warrior poet society and it is pretty comfortable. Now mind you I have it on over a sock.

As far as people noticing I have it, only when I’m wearing shorts :joy::laughing::rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve also found that the soft T wide tourniquet lays very flat and works well in the ankle kit

4 Likes

My favorite YT Medic to learn from. :+1:
I have posted his vids before on other first aid topics.

PrepMedic - YouTube

3 Likes

I go to this page every so often. It goes beyond stop the bleed and TCCC.

I also go to Skinny Medic’s YouTube channel on occasion.

4 Likes

:+1:I have done business with D&B for many years. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes indeed. The SOF-T is excellent.

2 Likes

I watch Prep Medic a lot myself. Skinny Medic is good too. It looks like we are looking at a lot of the same on-line training guys.

3 Likes

Thanks for helping with the correction. I’m trying to talk text and I could not get it to come out correctly

3 Likes

It can be fun to incorporate medical into your gun training too. I took a training class that (to me) was pretty stressful. Three days and one night of, active shooter videos, table top exercise type stuff, range drills, force on force, live fire shoot houses, etc. One of the drills we ran was to stage a tourniquet on our belt. Shoot the target 3-5 times, and the instructor would yell out a limb. You had to holster up, take the tourniquet off of your belt without using the “injured” limb, and apply the tourniquet (one handed depending on the injured limb). When you were done you raised your hand. Instructor came by and checked for a pulse. If you still had a pulse on that limb you had to fix the tourniquet to shut off the blood flow. We repeated this drill ant least four times-one for each limb. Oddly enough, I actually thought that drill was fun.

We also used improvised stuff to make tourniquets. One of the girls in the class bruised me up pretty good with a makeshift tourniquet using a triangular bandage and dowel rod.

The experts all swear by the SOFT T wide and the North American Rescue (why can’t I think of what they call it?) but then they tout stats from how many tourniquets saved lives at the Boston Marathon bombing incident and show pictures of makeshift tourniquets. :person_shrugging:t2:

Knowledge and gear are both important.

4 Likes

Oh I was not doing a correction at all. I did not even notice it sir. It’s a great TQ to be sure.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Cat 7 tourniquet. Of the two I found the cat seven to be easier to use for self application But others may have a different experience

4 Likes

Thanks for recovering my fumble there, brother. All I could come up with was the SWAT and I knew that was wrong!

1 Like

The only thing I have against Cat 7 is the bar catch, it’s big and it more difficult to conceal. I carry them in my bags but for my edc Ifak I carry a soft t cat 5

2 Likes

I just ordered 2 of the SAM XT tourniquet

1 Like