Tourniquets

So I am kind of a prepper, which I am sure many of you here are as well. My question today is do you carry tournquets and when and where. Personally, I carry one in my range bag, on my rifle carry case, on my battle belt along with a basic medical kit, and I have a truck organizer that hangs on the back of my front passenger seat next to another more complete medical kit.

It is funny as some of the people that I know say I am over thinking things, but I have seen up close what gunshot wounds can do. Generally speaking most of us will never need one, but if you DO NEED ONE, you better have one available and I mean very close by. While unlikely that we need one, for those of us that choose to carry firearms and train and potentially MAY NEED one while training or in a fight to defend ourselves or another, I highly recommend having more that one on or around us.

Scott

16 Likes

@ScottGaran Absolutely, carry one in my medical kit in my truck, and one in my travel trailor.

10 Likes

I have 2 in my bump in the night bag, I have 2 in my GHB, I have 2 in my wife’s GHB, I have 2 in my gear/range bag that goes everywhere with me, I have 4 in my extensive home medical kit, along with an extensive home burn kit and a Life Vac in my bedroom. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

It is funny how so many of us “prep” but we forget the basics!

7 Likes

That’s why I posted the “far side” toon about sitting in a bunker full of canned food and he forgot to stock a can opener. :laughing:

9 Likes

20 years ago I had my arm pulled into a conveyor belt, severed my bicep and all the arteries on the inside of my elbow.

I successfully guided a manager through improvising a tourniquet with reinforced medial tape and a pen.

I know I should have one in a kit as I’ve actually needed one applied to me!

Truth be told though, the average person wouldn’t even know where to apply one.

12 Likes

I know this is 90’s and maybe taboo today, but I always carry tampons as well. If an extremity needs a tourniquet, then we must have one, but a tourniquet will generally not help in a torso wound from a gun or knife. This is the importance of being able to quickly pack the hole with something to slow the bleeding. Need I say more?

Scott

11 Likes

I agree, but like you did on your own, YOU were able to guide the uneducated to help YOU! Good on you son! We must be self reliant!

Scott

8 Likes

Lot’s of vids out there to say you shouldn’t use them or they plain wont work but I carried the also until Quick Clot came out. Gotta go pee pee with the wee wee ya got. :wink:

7 Likes

Yes, i remember quick clot, but packing a wound with cotton still works. Better than nothing I say. I think the people that say they don’t work, work for companies such as quick clot!

5 Likes

I carry a tourniquet in my gun bag.
I carry a tourniquet in my vehicle.
I carry a tourniquet on my rifle.
I have one wherever I go.
If I was going into battle, I would carry three on me.
I would have one on my leg.
I would have one on my arm.
I would have one on my rifle.
I would have one wherever I go.
I would have a red one that I can find really fast.
I would have a blue one that I can use too.
I would have a black one because that is just what I do.

I just wanted to make this an enjoyable read. I hope you like what you did read.

10 Likes

Thanks for the fun. I have to be honest seeing those types of wounds are not enjoyable, but that is cool. As long as we still maybe share the same ideas, and if not, tell me what I need to change?

Scott

5 Likes

Just remember, rule number one - Stop the Bleeding. Apply pressure.
2. Treat for shock. Keep them calm and lower their heartbeat. Have them laying down and have them stay still. 3. Wash your hands. Wear gloves if you have them.
4. Keep bandage on the wound even when it gets soaked with blood, the clotting abilities in blood will assist in the stopping of the bleed. (EDITED)

9 Likes

Great points brother! I am assuming you have been trained in these types of situations. Good on you son!

4 Likes

He works at Google. :wink:

3 Likes

I work at do what I need to do.

4 Likes

I never received any formal training.

Google has been my friend for sure.

And being homeless for a period of time.

You learn a LOT when the only one to help you is you!

I’m more of a survivalist than a prepper….

4 Likes

Dude, you should post on that! I have never been homeless, but you can certainly share things that people like me that have done some things similar but never really were in that situation NEED to know. Sometimes our 'weaknesses" are our strengths and you certainly have the upper hand here! Share away brother!

Scott!

4 Likes

:fu:t3: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Lay it on us.

2 Likes