Took My Inventory

Do you only stay local or head up to Taos/Angel Fire; down to Ruidoso/Mescalero?

1 Like

Looks perfectly normal.

1 Like

@Gary_H Thanks for the link to Norma, I have not seen their stuff since I was a teen.
Ordered enough to get free shipping and 5% off for new user. :+1:

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever shot any Norma centerfire ammo, but have used their brass and it was very good. Have not seen anything negative about their ammo

3 Likes

Always happy to help spend somebody else’s money! :grinning:

5 Likes

“That’ll be a 1 box commission…”.

4 Likes

LOL. We’re all a mess. Don’t worry about that. As long as we are a prepared mess. My inventory hasn’t changed much in the last year due to the ammo shortage and high prices. Just been hitting the range with my new to me Ruger 10/22. But my wife, bless her heart, got me a laser practice set up for Christmas.

6 Likes

Range: Blazer is my first choice but my pistols aren’t picky. However, I avoid 9mm in Winchester white box.

SD: Hornady

I just used two boxes for my CCW renewal last weekend, bought before 2019 when CA required background checks on ammo purchases.

4 Likes

“dud rounds” with Winchester? What caliber?

3 Likes

You didn’t ask me, but, I’ve had bad Winchester rounds in every caliber (cartridge) I have used.

The last box I bought was .357 Sig and many of the rounds were measurably longer than the COAL (cartridge overall length) SAAMI spec for the round, causing them to bind up in magazines. I contacted Winchester with pictures, mic measurements, lot number, etc, never heard back.

The above is one of my better experiences with Winchester handgun ammo.

I’ve had .40 almost squib, the slide didn’t move and the bullet hit the target like a foot low at 7 yards.

Had many hard primers/misfires.

Had other QC issues, including with Ranger. Contacted Winchester with lot info and pics several times, never heard back.

Won’t buy it any more

5 Likes

I have not had any misfires with Winchester .45 white box after 450 rounds but I did with .17HMR,
seems like every 4th or 5th round misfired and some would not go off after a second try.
I ended up throwing the rest in the dud box. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ya’ll are not the first people I’ve heard have QA issues with Winchester, even though they are one of the larger producers. Since they recently took over the Lake City plant from Federal, I am hoping their newer production is better but so far seems pretty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regarding inventory… I like to have a little variety, just so that if one brand has an issue with QA/QC or something in a lot of ammo my whole stockpile isn’t trash. But once I find a brand that works well, I tend to stick with it. As a result I end up with maybe 3-4 different brands per caliber, max.

I am such a stickler for keeping track I wrote my own web app to keep track.

3 Likes

Shot nearly a box full, 325 rounds, of my red, white and blue cci .22lr bullets today. Colored polymer over lead, funny as my Advantage Arms Glock conversion kit didn’t like feeding this stuff,so I stuck to the t’bolt the manufacturer swears against :laughing:. I imagine I have more boxes of this stuff, it was great in my SR22 and Savage mk 2.
Seeing the bad juju on Winchester…my go-to 9mm is Winchester NATO, and defense the Ranger 147+p…never an issue thus far, 7 pistols, 4 of which where 80percent frames I completed.
Besides the usual, I’m wondering if hirtenberger, igman, diamond dogs, or the pink ribboned boxes of Malaysian 7.62 NATO is in anyone else’s inventory? Diamond dogs is a new one, NATO spec 9mm, bought a bunch recently to keep my 9mm supply where I like it,but hard primers, so I’m switching some striker springs over to 6lbs on a couple pistols. Advice…do this spring swap in a box as those little Glock spring cups love to launch themselves :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
My other stuff is Freedom Munitions, Aquila, imi, wolf,federal lc, pmc, ppu and other stuff bought cheap and stacked deep.

1 Like

Matt, get one of these. :rofl:

5 Likes

But getting to where a magnifying glass and WAY smaller fingers would come in handy, hmmm, maybe a surgical robot. Spring, $2.75, robot $4,324,657. A pistol reliably shooting rock hard Turkish primers…PRICELESS!!
Strange, tried that ammo twice so far (diamond dogs NATO ish 9mm. First day took my M9 and P80sc and it shot 100 percent. Next time, 2 other P80’s and my oem G19, same springs/striker, and had issues. Thankfully I brought my Winchester as well, and have spare springs from 4-6 pounds.

2 Likes

I thought this was interesting vid, he has some good ideas. :us:

2 Likes

Winchester duds were 9mm and .30-.30. Primers were struck but the rounds didn’t fire. No light strikes; just failure to fire. Not old ammo or wet or anything that I know of like that.

3 Likes

I don’t know what triggers a response, but I received one from Winchester — and restitution. In 2018, I found a split case on first firing from a White Box of 100 in .380ACP. They all went boom just fine.

I reload, and cases kept splitting — one per cycle until I had four. Usually I found them by handling during pickup or reloading, but at least one split was found eroded — as if fired with an undetected or incipient split. I assume there was a problem with the brass, but I never heard whether that was a known problem lot.

I don’t recall whether I received replacement or refund, but I was satisfied with the adjustment. I never found a defense round from Winchester which suited me or my pistols, so I went off in a different direction before developing a significant 21st Century history with Winchester.

1 Like

WWB in 9mm for me too. My Ruger SR9C’s one and only misfire. Thankfully, only one out of 500. But, I never bought WWB again.

4 Likes

I would just be happy to have the whole pallet. I down to a couple thousand rounds.

4 Likes