Took My Inventory

So I took my inventory this morning, Man I’m a mess… Oh Wait, wrong inventory. I mean I looked in my ammo cans this morning and saw this list of stuff:

American Eagle
Blazer
Browning
CCI
Federal
Fiocchi
Fusion
Gold Dot
Hornady
Magtech
PMC
Remington
S&B
Speer
Winchester

As you can tell I’m not real loyal to any manufacture, I just buy what strikes my fancy that moment. It’s a mix of practice, SD and Hunting ammo. The thing is, there isn’t a one of them that sticks out as being garbage, I’ve used and for the most part like all of them.

27 Likes

I’m sure most of us long time shooters and hunters are the same way, especially after the last two years. :us:

18 Likes

Glass bottom boat?

13 Likes

Man… you are not a mess at all… It’s really hard these days to find a person such organized who keeps the inventory in alphabetical order… :love_you_gesture:

12 Likes

Mike164,

You might be more loyal than you think: 8 of your 15 are Vista Outdoor product/brands/subsidiaries.
I have many of those in practice, defensive & rimfire configurations plus these others:
Aguila
Ammo Inc
Armscor
Cascade Int’l
IMI
Norma
Prvi Partisan (PPU)
Sarsilmaz
Sig Sauer
SK

7 Likes

What Winchester do you have consistent success with?

There is some overlap in that list too.

For example:

Blazer is CCI
American Eagle is Federal
Gold Dot is Speer which is pretty much CCI
Fusion is Federal

And all of the above are ATK

5 Likes

Let’s see. I like to try varieties and there are a lot of good manuacturers

In 9mm I have
Speer Lawman
Speer Gold Dot
Federal American Eagle
Federal Champion
Federal HSt
CCI Blazer Brass
CCI Blazer Aluminum
PPU/Prvi Partizan
Magtech
Yavex
Remington/UMC
Fiocchi
IMI
RWS
Monarch
Federal “training”
Federal “LE” white box 9BPL and 9BPLE
Atlanta Arms

5 Likes

I recommend the “Ammo Inventory” app.

3 Likes

I go through a ton of these, they seem to perform just fine. Plus they are cheap and easy to get around here.

9 Likes

I had no idea. That’s insane…

2 Likes

Unfortunately, when the ammo shortage hit, I found some Remington Range 9mm ammo, it is not very accurate. Good enough for 7 to 10 yard range play.

I am not very picky about the maker either, as long as it works.

6 Likes

So what’s the favorite?

Let’s play what if

What if, for personal use only, you could have one pallet of any ammo you chose.

What would it be?

4 Likes

I’m a Speer/Gold Dot Fanboy so a pallet of assorted Gold Dot stuff would work for me.

6 Likes

Since Sig makes both firearms and ammo, I’d go with them. I’ve never had trouble with any of my Sig ammo in my Sig guns. Do I get to mix & match calibers on that pallet? :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

A pallet of Hornaday Critical Defense in 9mm and .45 ACP. :us:

I had two new shooters coming up and needed more more range ammo so when I saw some Barnaul 115grn 9mm Russian Military on sale for $25.00 a box of 50, tax and shipping. I bought 500 rounds sight unseen.
When you shoot it the powder smells like a cap gun and it is a bit smoky and it shoots 2 to 3 inches low at 25yds but so far it has all has gone bang. :man_shrugging:
As @Fred_G said “Good enough 7 to 10 yard range play”. :+1:

3 Likes

I feel like the guy who married his high school sweetheart. For 9mm I have:

Federal American Eagle in 115 and 124
Federal HST in 124 and 147

I do reload so haven’t bought any ammunition the last 2 years except for HSTs. But even for reloading 9mm I have one brand of bullets, one brand of primers, one brand of powder.

5 Likes

I’m with @PDA3 for 9mm, except just sticking to a single weight — 124gr makes me happy.
The AE matches the HST for velocity and energy, and I reload as close to the same as I can without a chrono — no practicing with reduced loads. (Speer TMJ, CCI 500, 4.5gr 231, 1.135")

For reloading, the Federal cases are nice and uniform in the press, so everything comes out to SAAMI dimensions. With 15 cycles through my current set, it’s looking like I might tear the rims off before I see a split case.

I hate to pay 4x my 2020 reload cost, but I’ll be out of primers in a couple months. :cry: And I have no idea how the next seasons will develop. So I plunked down for a case of fresh brass (with all the fix’ns) at 45¢ delivered. I might not live long enough to wear out the new cases — but I’ll wear out the new primers before Thanksgiving.

5 Likes

One pallet of any ammo? Sig 9mm. But like everyone, I have CCI, Sig, Federal, Fiocchi, Remington, Norma, Nosler, Hornady, and so on. I don’t use Winchester ammo anymore, too many dud rounds. Also I avoid DRZ…those hard primers have caused failures in several weapons I own.

4 Likes

While everybody was out buying all the toilet paper I was loading up on ammo and reloading supplies. Wish I invested more though!

5 Likes

Ok, everyone has a broad range of ammo brands but do you keep an inventory of how many rounds you’ve discharged on that date and the brand used?
Inventory of the number of rounds, in your safes and the brands of each?
Some freinds say I’m to strict on my firearm goods and it takes the fun away.
I feel I’m being efficient.

3 Likes