Took My Inventory

I guess I’m not FUN either, actually very OCD on this topic. Originally was using linked, multi-tabbed EXCEL spreadsheets, now I use an online relational database software package called ArmoryBook. You can track your separate inventories of guns, ammo, and accessories acquisitions or divestures (selling/lake or ocean losses/gifting), plus storage locations. Data entry areas for reloading info as well (unused by me). Depending on how you enter the raw data, you can track range visits, maintenance & cleaning times, and caliber reorder levels, as well as accessory to weapon assignments.

I think it’s free for 5 guns or less with staged fee levels (monthly or annual) based on the number of guns you enter into the database. Also the developer is open to suggestions for improvements and enhancements, as most people have their own unique perspectives on what’s important.

As with any program or database, GIGO is in full effect.

3 Likes

@William591 @William377

9 Likes

I think a really easy middle ground exists.

Step 1: Buy most ammo in case quantities. So like, 9mm FMJ range ammo, 223/5.56 55gr FMJ range ammo, etc.

Step 2: Only open one case at a time. Once a case is opened it is no longer counted as inventory in an official count.

Step 3: Repeat step 1

Only counting unopened cases makes it easy to know how much you have.

And a “case” doesn’t have to be 1,000 rounds, it could be one of those .30 ammo cans that comes with 420 rounds of 5.56, or something similar to that. Leave the zip tie on, one thing counted one time for 420 rounds, easy peasy

2 Likes

Mine looks something like this.

4 Likes

I like my little gun log app on iPhone, Gun Log SPC. 100% free, no ads or in-app purchases.

I like it, because it’s so portable. I can update at the range instead of taking intermediate notes that I have to transfer when I get home.

It allows me to track firearms, ammo, sessions, and accessories. I can embed photos into almost every entry, which is great especially for capturing session results:

2 Likes

My range notes include a cumulative tally of rounds expended by date and caliber (and by lookup, from what gun, doing what, and what performance). I don’t brand hop, but when there’s a change it will be noted in there. MantisX tallies shots made within the application; other dry fire practice is about equal but not counted.

I don’t keep a live inventory of ammunition. A caliber put away for a while will get subjective confirmation that “enough” is how much I have on hand. A caliber in current rotation is readily visible whenever I go to pull a box out of “the pile”. I might do a full count every couple years to make sure I haven’t drifted off-target, or that my subjective assessment of “enough” has not changed.

In reality, my active inventory practice is simpler by virtue of reloading. I’m just rotating through the same 6-8 boxes of brass — I intend to shoot 50 rounds a week; when I’m down 100, I make 100. (And then more complicated, because I need to track quantities of each component to assure supply continuity.)

1 Like

The program I use is browser based so in theory I could do entries concurrently at the range but it’s much easier to use a full sized keyboard and mouse once home. Plus with using an indoor range with lane time limits, I’d rather shoot then record that activity. Everyone has their ways of looking at the data and how to improve their shooting, ammo purchasing selections, and maintenance scheduling.

Hope you’re keeping warm up there in northern NM.

2 Likes

Makes sense when you’re paying / limited on lane time.

Trying to, thanks. Wishing it’d just dump a bunch of snow so I can at least get some decent time on the slopes, since my outdoor range is just annoyingly cold. :cold_face:

4 Likes

@William591 - I really don’t put certain things onto a computer app or site. Never know who could get info you don’t want them to have.

7 Likes

Given today’s “police state privacy invasion tactics” by the alphabet agencies, I assume they already have it in their possession somehow, somewhere. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

My take: Given how much is already documented, all the posting to gun forums, purchases, carry licenses, stamps, range trips, 4473’s…does it really matter how many cases of 9mm FMJ you have in the closet?

4 Likes

It used to be there was Winchester Western, and Remington Peters, and Federal
That was pretty much it until the ammo shortages came along and then there was a whole alphabet soup of ammo makers from all over the world taking up the slack.
Some turned out to be very good while the US brands often cheapened and quality suffered some.
I remember my ammo locker back then had rows of red and white(Federal) Green and Yellow(Remington) and bright Gold (Winchesters.)
Now, like with the OP’s inventory, my ammo supply is all over the place when it comes to brands because the only ammo available could come from anywhere.

It’s kind of a sad comment on American ammo manufacturing.

6 Likes

With .22 LR my inventory is easy:
CCI-SV
It’s the only stuff my M-41 will shoot :laughing:

4 Likes

CCI makes absolutely fantastic .22lr. The CCI Mini Mag and CCI Standard Velocity, depending on which velocity you want or need, are the two most reliable .22lr I have ever encountered. The SV stuff is also consistently, in many opinions (including mine), the best tradeoff between accuracy and price…as in it’s the least expensive that’s actually kinda accurate/consistent and is a huge step up from typical cheap loose packed bulk

5 Likes

If you have a finicky .22LR semi try the CCI Velociter.

5 Likes

anyone used norma ammo?

I have used 45 Auto and - 175 Grain Monolithic Hollow Point and 9mm 108 Grain Monolithic Hollow–

1 Like

Very clean burning, practice ammo, closer to NATO velocities than many other imports and US made products. I’ve used the following with great results:
115 & 124gr 9mm
73gr 32acp
158gr 38special & 357magnum

3 Likes

I don’t recall seeing any norma stuff around here.

1 Like

Have you heard progress on PSA ammo production of Russian steel case ammo. My primary interest is 7.62X39 in that area. :us: Well its still available right now import.and of course more expensive.

1 Like

Local supply has been sporadic where I live, so I know it is out in in distribution, but there’s always direct from the source: Norma Shooting | In Stock Ammunition Ready to Ship

They developed the original 10mm Auto ammo, but no longer produce any ammo in 10mm, well, except 40S&W

3 Likes