Today in history-recent and ancient

This company was founded in 1911, first known as the
Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company.

Please share a piece of history, may or may not be related to guns or self-defense.

4 Likes

4.54 billion years ago the Earth as we know it today began to form. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Today in 2023, Hamas has not evolved from the Neanderthal age!

12 Likes

I’m a fan of detective stories and have this guy to thank for, born today in 1753:

(Historical Figures Born in 1753 — On This Day) August Gottlieb Meißner, German Enlightenment author who helped develop the detective story genre in German literature, born in Bautzen, Electorate of Saxony, Holy Roman Empire (d. 1807)

3 Likes

Now known as IBM

4 Likes

Did it occur to anyone that most of what counts for history are mainly acts of war? And yet,

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Friedrich Hegel

Hungary - On November 4, 1956, Soviet tanks rolled into Budapest to crush, once and for all, the national uprising.
-history . com

6 Likes

…and Joseph Robinette Biden was conceived…

" It’s the end of the world as we know it!
It’s the end of the world as we know it!
It’s the end of the world as we know it!
and I feel fine!" R.E.M (band)

I’d like to go back in time and hand Joe’s father a Condom! —don102!
(or slap his Mother!)

WWG1WGA

4 Likes

11/5/1605
Gunpowder Plot: Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes attempts to blow up King James I and the British Parliament. Plot discovered, Guy Fawkes caught, tortured and later executed along with seven others. Celebrated ever since as Guy Fawkes Day, where his effigy is traditionally burned on a bonfire, accompanied by fireworks.

3 Likes

Born on this day
11/06/1814
Adolphe Sax :saxophone:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Is it true? I heard he was a Sax-maniac ?
Say it ain’t so Adolphe?

2 Likes

June 12, 1987

On this date in 1989, almost two and a half years since the Reagan speech, the Berlin Wall fell.

1 Like

November 10

1775 US Marine Corps is created

The elite military force capable of operating on land, sea and air was founded in Philadelphia during the American Revolutionary War. A resolution of the Second Continental Congress formed two battalions of Continental Marines that became the forerunners of today’s marine corps.

1 Like

George Jennings invented the toilet.

1 Like

I thought it was Crapper.

1 Like

November 10, 1983
Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Roberto Duran :boxing_glove:

1 Like

It’s November 11th. :grinning:

Daylight saving time :laughing:

1 Like

November 12

Born
1961 Nadia Comaneci (possibly my first crush)

Died
2018 Stan Lee

1 Like

Mary Mallon died 1938

1 Like