Thoughts on martial arts

How many train in something like Tae Kwon Do or other arts? I just started in Krav Maga. It is good to have the situational awareness reinforced. It is also good to have the avoidance taught and then only using enough force as needed to end the threat. I am starting to feel more confident carrying as well.

5 Likes

I’ve had unarmed combat training in the past and take a class along those lines every couple years or so…way less than I probably should.

It’s a smart move, the more tools you have in your toolbox the better chance you have of successfully handling a situation at the right level (e.g. your only tool is not a hammer and as such not every problem looks like a nail).

Keep it up!!

8 Likes

Back in the 70’s we learned from Bruce Lee to be as water and flow. That we should not render ourselves to repetitions of movements because these movements can easily countered. Watch the video made. Bruce Lee: Be like water (Inspirational) - YouTube

7 Likes

Not all Martial Arts are equal for this task. There is Self Defense Systems and “Sport Karate” .

7 Likes

@Michael695. Welcome to the community, train hard and stay safe. From Michigan :smiley:

3 Likes

If I could start life all over again I would become the lethal weapon. Being able to kill with my pinky doesn’t require permission or governmental licenses.

4 Likes

Another personal opinion (if you put a $1.59 with it you can get a coffee). Martial arts build self discipline and self confidence and are a worth while investments of time. But don’t confuse practicing to fight/defend with practicing to kill. When a fighting/defensive mindset meets a killer mindset the defender better adapt ‘real quick’ in order to survive.

4 Likes

I have always felt the same way about martial arts. It is a good skill to know. Especially if the training is geared for defense against attackers and not towards fighting in a ring. I boxed in my youth and it kept me safe in many situations throughout my youth. The important thing is how you feel about what you are learning and the confidence you gain from the knowledge.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

I have a 2nd degree black belt in martial arts, and as soon as “social distancing” is over, I am going to join a Brazilian ju-jitsu gym!

4 Likes

Enter the Dragon
Way of the Dragon (with Chuck Norris)
Fist of Fury
Good Guys Wear Black (oops, that is a Chuck Norris)

3 Likes

I know Karate, Judo, King Fu, Nissan, Toyota and a bunch of other oriental words…

Also know .45, .357, and .12 ga

Or, I could say, I watched a lot of Kung Fu episodes, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee movies… but did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

You sound like me, had some hand to hand years ago, but am in the way les than I should category, but at least you are taking a class every couple of years. The older I get, the less hand to hand I want to do or train for.

Note: Martial Arts … The Art of War… Martial Arts are always good, so are hand to hand combat skills.

5 Likes

Krav Maga is about violently ending the threat so the mindset should be ok. The instructor said the first thing you need to do is give yourself permission to act. I believe this applies to carrying a firearm as well. If you can’t come to terms with the possibility of using lethal force then you are at a disadvantage.

6 Likes

Welcome to the family! @Michael695 glad you’re here

3 Likes

Art of War- III Attack by stratagem - 6. Therefor the skillful leader subdues the enemy’s troops without any fighting.
Art of War - III Attack by stratagem - 17. Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory.
(1) He will win who knows when to fight and when not to.
(2) He will win who knows how to deal with superior and inferior forces.
(3) He will win whos army is animated by the same spirit throughout all the ranks.
(4) He will win who, prepares himself, waits to take the enemy while they are unprepared.
(5) He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by sovereign.

8 Likes

I did boxing for ten years, learned kick boxing, wrestled for a few years and I even took karate. When it comes to using force but not deadly, I think it’s important to have some knowledge. For instance: lady’s did you know if you take the palm of your hand and slam it straight into their nose, you will cause there eyes to water and give you time to run.

I personally think the most important type of physical training that you can get would be toss training. When someone comes up behind you, it’s good to know how to throw them. A little 5’3 woman has an advantage over a 6’5 guy and if you know how to use that advantage you can take that 6’5 guy and throw him across the room.

2 Likes

Ah, a connoisseur… I would take it you also are versed in the Book of Five Rings.

3 Likes

I did boxing too…pizzas. Sorry buddy :crazy_face:

4 Likes

You are funny @Cobra :joy::joy:

4 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::crazy_face:

2 Likes