Hands on training

How many members train in some type of martial arts as well as with your concealed carry pistol. In 2018, at age 64, I started my martial arts journey in BJJ. I trained for a little over a year and then COVID hit. Our school closed and our instructor moved to Florida. While I was training I lost over 10 pounds, became more physically fit and gained the ability to defend myself. I gained the skill and confidence that if I did have to go hands on with a bad guy I would be able to do so while drawing my weapon or maybe not even having to draw my weapon, an even better choice. Since our BJJ school closed and never reopened, this summer I started training in another martial art, Ninjutsu or Taijutsu, which is more striking and kicking than grappling. Just wondering how many of you enhance your chances of surviving a violent encounter with training other than with a firearm.

6 Likes

It depends how do you understand term “martial arts”.
For me it refers to combat training or any fighting style designed for physically defeating opponents and defending against threats.
So yes, I do this using force-on-force training when students can actually put their hands on the opponent. There is no specific technique involved, no any **jitsu or **kido… it’s mostly MMA or “octagon fight” style… just everyday reality…

3 Likes

In my mind, martial arts can be any type of combat or self defense training. MMA, boxing, wrestling, karate, BJJ, etc. Anything that can help you get to your gun.

1 Like

I trained in tae kwon do when I was younger. But you can kick & block bullets.

1 Like

I pretty much avoid people, except for locals while out on foot,and not a fan of classroom instruction any more. At 62,I simply continue my fitness regimen, and haven’t had a fight in about 40 years. Today, being perfect out, was a 2.5 mile run with 65 pushups around the backyard lake, then a short hike to the school for another mile, 60 more pushups, some tire flips, leg risers,8 hillclimbs, 5 in reverse, then another hike through the woods, run across the fields, and after some time shooting the breeze with my cl.3 ffl neighbor,a walk back home,
Last near fight was defending my 80 year old dad at my sons graduation, 9 years ago…then he tells me the guy bumped into him, so “of course I had to throw a shoulder”… suddenly, I was the parent here :roll_eyes:. Biker type guy growing up in my late teens into my 20’s…learned my lesson taking on 5 cops one night, but I seemed to enjoy a good rumble.
My son was doing MMA in Okinawa as a Marine, and I’m sure he got the krav maga training as well…I grew up with a wall full of boxing gloves, grandpa was a pro, uncle Pacific fleet champ, so I boxed and wrestled a bit, though my loves were swimming and bicycling, and played tourney level tennis ‘til I realized it ticked me off.
Good on ya’ for getting into it @ROB34 . Good attitude imo, never to late to start, and never time to quit.

4 Likes

I train at an MMA school Muay Thai, BJJ and Classic boxing. At 62 years old I’m considered the Grey Hair.

3 Likes

I skip rope, box, wrestle, Jeet Kune Do.

1 Like