Do you do Martial Arts?

We all know there are multiple ways to defend yourself in every situation, and we’re only able to use lethal force when we’re in imminent danger of death or grave bodily harm.

Does anyone else practice a martial art for self-defense? If so, what martial art do you practice?

2 Likes

My health has declined physically since I first went to the VA in 2012. I learned what’s wrong with me. Prior to the problems I struggled exercising and practicing martial arts. I took Karate, Taikwando and KaJaKimFu. I learned to use nunchucks and the bo. I used to be very limber. Now I’m just limber. My balance is off sometimes and the feeling of insecurity not being up to par anymore is one reason I finally decided to get LTC. Attempted child abductions near our schools, home invasions and robberies along with hearing many guns fired in nearby neighborhoods also contributed to feeling vulnerable. And we’re in a nice neighborhood. People believe we’re well off. But my status as “Disabled Veteran” exempts is from paying property tax and the fact that I managed to get such a good reduced price on our home from someone desperate to get rid of a second mortgage is how we moved here. We’re the Beverly Hillbillies :wink:.

Any way LTC was the next step for me in my limited state. My wife is next to get LTC. We need help now. I would never use martial arts or pull a firearm for just any reason. My brother, father and instructors taught me to get away if possible. But the idea of a home invasion concerns me and I’m not just defending myself. I still have teens and a wife who studied criminal justice in college. She even had more handgun experience and qualification until 2 years ago. But as I said. I grew up with guns. I even fired handguns but not in a controlled range scenario. I’m a hell of a good shot though. It’s like an extension of my body. I’m qualified on M-16, M203 grenade launcher, M60 and M2 50 cal. I’m not sure if 109mm and 8inch cannons count. And some classified stuff too. Now I’m qualified on handguns.

I would use a combination of martial arts and firearms where required for self and family protection. But as I said physical limitations are an issue these days. I’m an old man.

4 Likes

Here’s a great video search to look up on YouTube Why blocking is useless! A Las Vegas Cop. It came up on my feed today.

Not sure if we can directly post the link because sometimes there are ads, so check it out it struck home with me because of my experience recently and I remember this topic so I felt it might be a good share.

These are the techniques he points out

1. Cover
  2. Control range
  3. Angles

Body language is a tell when someone is frothy or code “hobbit”(hostile belligerent threatening)

I used these elements in September last year and because I didn’t kick or beat the tar out of the guy I was good.

I could have used kick boxing or jiu-jitsu but it’s not about going toe to toe. It’s to take the threat out as quick as possible with the minimum amount of force, if I went toe to toe, I would have been a mutual combatant and most likely been deemed excessive.

On a side note after this event it got me thinking I should check out that USCCA thing, so I joined thereafter. It’s been such a great experience ever since.

Love the organization and our community/family

Have a great weekend everyone just my 2 cents and getting off my soapbox.

God bless

2 Likes

Go ahead and post the link, @KenM!

The advertising links are more for the spammy links. Training/educational reference links are always good. And even it the link is to a vendor website, as long as it’s a useful link we’re pretty good with it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s the link

3 Likes

That was very useful. Thank you

2 Likes

I don’t have anything within 100 miles of me to train any sort of martial arts. However I have to recert in H.F.R.G. yearly. I know a ton of nasty pressure points, plus the certification is not only admissible in court, but also covers all use of force. Did i say all? Yep. It also covers handcuffing.

2 Likes

studied Tae Kwon Do maaany years ago, and later I trained in defense and escape with an Isshinryu Karate master. Going to be doing some study with my current firearms trainer in pressure point control and close-quarters CC and defense… don’t know much about it yet, but my trainer says sign up, so I’m signing up. I’ll keep you posted on what I learn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you hear mention of infraorbital, make like Forest and RUN!

I’m kidding but you will find out what I mean.

1 Like

Based on knowledge from a former career, I’m slightly terrified when you mention the infraorbital area in a self-defense related move. What kind of damage are you inflicting, @Spence?

1 Like

No damage. Just a LOT of pain. A LOT.
To use this pressure point correctly you need to have someone in a headlock, then you take the big knuckle of your index finger (knife hand style for more rigidity in the index finger) press tightly just under the nose and rotate your hand up and down while also making a sawing motion.

It’s excruciating.

For the record, H.F.R.G. tactics are 100% pain compliance while causing minimal damage. Bones can break if enough force is applied and/or the subjects bones are brittle.
H.F.R.G. stands for Human Factor Research Group. This group has spent decades studying the most effective ways of using pain compliance, the only methods they approve have to meet 3 requirements, tactically sound, legally permissible and medically insignificant.

1 Like

Dang!! That’s kinda funny because as a former massage therapist, that pressure point is also great for releasing sinus pain and pressure.

I know so many pressure points for relieving pain… I just don’t always consider how much pain they can cause too. Now you’ve got me looking at it from a different viewpoint and I’m getting all sorts of defense ideas. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I forgot, HFRG is also called PPCT. PPCT is the actual hand to hand training, HFRG is the rest that goes with it.

Side note: never hold a pressure point too long. If you do the subject may pass out or get an adrenaline surge and severely escalate.

1 Like

Exactly, it’s got more to do with the amount of pressure than duration. And it doesn’t have to be that much pressure…

1 Like

I don’t do martial arts, but I have looked into a few unarmed training programs for self defense. Two stood out to me the most: the Self Defense Training System from The Self Defense Company, and Target Focus Training(my preference).

I don’t know how long ago it was, but some folks at USCCA got to train with Tim Larkin from Target Focus Training (lucky!), and he released the training series on his website. It’s the course I’m currently working through: Ultimate Concealed Carry.

Just throwing that out there.

2 Likes