The next holster OWB or IWB?

I’ve added my 1911 to my CCW this year and really need a new holster or two. My old Bianchi Black Widow from the late 1970s has softened up to the point of retirement. My initial purchase could be either IWB or OWB (I can see myself with one of each for the flexibility, but I have to start with one or the other) This will have to be concealable of course .
I’m not terribly keen on the “tuck” designs I’ve seen, but that’s just me.
Which type holster would you recommend I buy first?

2 Likes

Perhaps 2-in-1, that means IWB/OWB hybrid?

Holster is personal preference. I would recommend OWB as a first choice, because it’s easier to handle it, but it may not work for you.
I carry IWB (it took me some time to convince myself to use this one, not OWB), but I also own OWB paddle for firearm classes/trainings.
My IWB is convertible and can be used as OWB, but like I mentioned - IWB works better for me.

1 Like

I carry my 1911’s OWB. A TT Gunleather snap on holster, or J111 by Open Top Pancake with Body Shield - J111 - Jason Winnie Leathergoods

Milt Sparks makes some great stuff too. I would start with the one by Jason, as it is a great value.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m leaning towards OWB if I can find one that rides high enough to conceal a GM under a shirt

1 Like

Check out galcogunleather.com concealable belt holster (OWB). I use one for 9mm Springfield EMP4 (1911) and FNP40.

1 Like

Carry my full sized 1911 under an open button down shirt over a T-shirt.

1 Like

I would go with OWB first. In my honest opinion it is quicker to access your gun quicker from an OWB holster.

1 Like

How have you carried before? If you’re more comfortable carrying one way than the other, go with the one you’re comfortable with and used to first. Then add the new one. If you decide to go with the opposite, please be sure to train using the different type of holster. Many people think that just because it’s OWB instead of IWB, or vice versa, that there isn’t any difference or reason to train differently. Every gun/holster combination has its nuances.

I’d love to hear what you try first and how the new holster feels!

2 Likes

For my 1911 I used a Bianchi Black Widow but it’s become soft with age. What I didn’t like about it is that the muzzle isn’t covered so I worried about it being observable if the hem of my shirt rode up.
The Centennial rides in a pocket holster and that works very well for me, but I don’t think I’ve got big enough pockets to fit a 1911, LOL!
Before the Centennial I carried a Detective Special in an IWB, but I’m having a hard time imagining carrying a 1911 like that—for me the issue is the grip printing under my shirt.

Right now I’m seriously leaning towards a Milt Sparks 55BN or Summer Special II, but I suspect OWB 55BN may be more comfortable

1 Like