New sidearm

So I been a uscca member for a couple months now but haven’t ever hopped on to say hello to my fellow members and said hello and asked for information yet. I just wanted to say what’s up and that I just recently got me a sig p226 mk-25 and super excited about it I know it’s nothing new but always wanted one and just curious if anyone knew of a solid iwb and owb holster I could grab for it if yall wouldn’t mind

14 Likes

Welcome!

It’s really hard to make IWB concealment holster recommendations. You kind of have to try.

I do like https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/ and on the USCCA member site, under perks and discounts, you’ll find a coupon code for Galco among others

5 Likes

Welcome to the community!

Just my 2 cents (adjust for inflation)

Don’t buy holsters because they’re cheap or you’ll end up with a drawer full of them. M

Settle on one that fits you well and
Make. It. Work.
because it won’t come perfect.

My recommendation for kydex: Clinger :crab: brand
leather: Muddy Tactical

6 Likes

Welcome to the Community. :handshake:

Good choice of handguns ! :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

As @Nathan57 said… hard to give recommendations.
You cannot fit new suit on without proper measurements. :wink:

We can give some tips what works for us… but you have remember - these may not work for you.
I personally use these hoslter manufacturers:

• Tier 1 Concealed (IWB, OWB)
  • Legacy Firearms (IWB, OWB)
  • Black Scorpion (OWB)
  • DARA (Duty OWB)
  • Safariland (OWB)
  • C&G Holsters (OWB)
5 Likes

Welcome

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Brian576

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! I just recently bought a Sig 365, and my process for finding a holster was to do online searches. I don’t recommend Amazon for this - they sell lost of holsters but the quality isn’t as good as something direct through a dedicated manufacturer. For my pistol I found about 5 or 6 different manufacturers, each of which has about a half dozen or more holsters for that weapon. I already had in mind that I don’t like Kydex holsters. They are tight, tough plastic, and difficult for me to draw a weapon from. I understand why some people love them, but they are not for me. I prefer leather as it is more flexible and comfortable for me. You have to make your own choices on what you like and what works for you, and some of that will have to do with your own body size and physique. Whatever option you choose will have its own pluses and minuses.

Anyway, I excluded Kydex and similar styles and narrowed down my first group that way, then went through the remaining options one by one to look at how well they protect the trigger, how they fit on the belt, if they have added features that are favorable to or detract from my ability to remain comfortable for long hours carrying, can deploy the weapon easily without hang-ups, are thin and light enough to avoid printing for concealment, etc. I also have seen leather holsters that have metal rivets that wind up being in contact with the gun and over time do damage to the finish. Leather itself can also be corrosive and acidic if it isn’t cured right, so I try not to leave my unit in the holster when it isn’t on me.

If there is feedback for the choices you have, read it - you’ll find it helpful to learn about other people’s experiences with that equipment. Also look at warranty / guarantee. Most holsters have some sort of warranty but they also often exclude coverage for given reasons. Leather, for example, can stretch over time and being a natural material may have inconsistencies in manufacture. Leather also has to be broken in for a few hours or days before it is well fitting to the gun.

So I chose a holster out of a half dozen ‘finalists’, ordered it, received it, followed the ‘break-in’ instructions, and I’m very pleased with it! It wasn’t the cheapest, nor was it the most expensive. I hope you’re as pleased with whatever you decide to get. I’m sure you will be if you look into it with patient research.

5 Likes

Forgot to add, for leather I like Galco and 1791 for Sig.

4 Likes

I have a Galco for my P365-380, very comfortable

3 Likes

I’m a real “Muddy River Tactical” guy.

4 Likes

Nice. Congrats

3 Likes

Welcome to the family! We are glad to have you with us! You have good taste. I have to second @Jerzees and say tier 1.

5 Likes

@Brian576 Welcome to the community, maybe check out Crossbreed holsters, Alien holsters, Bravo , Galco, We the People holsters, Urban Carry holsters.

2 Likes

Appreciate the help from yall I was looking for owb although I did find one for iwb nice leather one for the days when I feel like toting that bad boy around but usually the edc gun is the fn 509 compact it’s served me very well that definitely used to be impossible to find holsters for still kinda hard but I believe I found one for it at g-code just be sure it’s light bearing lol to bad it’s not like my days in the infantry where they just issued me some stuff although even then I still went out and bought my own gear but I think I may have it figured out still wouldn’t mind the help too tho always don’t mind more gear lol again appreciate yall

3 Likes

For an OWB holster, I use a 1791 leather holster. Highly recommend it. They have a large variety and I’m sure there’s a size that would fit yours. I got mine years ago and have been very happy with it.

2 Likes

I have a 1791 for my revolver. I couldn’t be happier with it.

3 Likes

Think in terms of functionality, not brand names. You want kydex (leather is good but requires a lot of maintenance). You should be able to add a claw. The back side (the one closest to your skin) should have an adequately sized flat space to accept adding a wedge, if you choose to do so. The belt clip needs to fit your belt - if the clip is sized for a 2" belt and you are using a 1 1/2" belt your holster is going to twist and stands a higher chance of coming loose. Personally, I select carbon fiber over solid kydex (a little lighter in weight and has a nice, easy to wipe clean finish). If you are considering adding an optic - or even if just changing sights - take that into consideration. Same goes for attaching a light…requires a holster that will accommodate it. I feature I look for is being able to reach the magazine release button while the gun is holstered. Don’t worry - by the time you have a whole drawer full of holsters you will have figured it out. Until they come out with the next model of new and improved.

5 Likes

Thank you sir i appreciate the information my wife doesn’t mind so I will definitely go thru as many holsters as I need to and find the right one my time in the infantry taught me a lot one of those is to always do real life scenarios with your gear now that I’m out I still love to do that trying to get it all just right and I know it’s not a proper concealed carry pistol but always want the option to do so as well as carry it on my battle belt

2 Likes

I gotta say I have really enjoyed being apart of uscca when I talk about my guns all the time some folks start to look at me like I’m weird when I just truly enjoy gun talk,training and putting in the work and time to get everything just right and safe for my family and the people all around if I can talk and educate people I know about guns and how they are just like a regular tool and get them more comfortable I’ve had a good day.

6 Likes

I have a drawer full of holsters and still feel that I haven’t figured it all out yet. I’ve got some holsters I am pretty happy with but still haven’t found the perfect holster that works very well with all the various activities I do.

The problem is that holsters aren’t like T-shirts that you can try on and instantly tell whether or not they fit. You have to wear them around for awhile during all the various activities you do before you can tell whether or not they are a good fit.

4 Likes