The love for 1911

David- 65 wait tell you get a hold of a 1911 45acp with pacmar grips I have the wraparound type with figer groves and not only does it feel Great but gives you more control during recoil. Hope this might spark your interest.

2 Likes

Yeah it could have if I didnā€™t dislike finger grooves so much, lol

3 Likes

I do have 1 question. Planning on getting a 1911 4ish" 8 rounds ( because I have mags of 8 rounds) so does a 7 round really conceal any better?

The main plus Iā€™ve seen out of the 1911 is how easy it is to shoot them accurately. Thatā€™s obviously a huge pro.

Theyā€™re beautiful guns. Taking care of one is a hobby which for me is a pro and a con. Iā€™d still prefer to carry and defend myself with plastic but thatā€™s what Iā€™m more familiar and confident with. I do think the modern striker fire guns are more practical.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll let someone else answer, but from my experience were talking an extremely small difference. So yes but also noā€¦ maybe a little more than an 1/8th of an inchā€¦ I donā€™t know how it works, but thatā€™s what I see when I compare my stock mag with an 8rd Wilson combat.

2 Likes

Are you talking about the difference between an officer frame and a full size frame? I ask because the traditional full sized 1911 mags were 7 rounds, many .45ACP full sized guns come with 8 round mags.

I find a full sized 1911 conceals better than my G45, an officer sized grip is pretty comfortable, and 9 rounds if you go with 9mm or .38Superb.

1 Like

same here i always wanted one alsoā€¦ and as soon as i can afford one, im getting itā€¦ i was looking into the 1911 ronin 3 in.( smallest 1911 ever made, awesome, but of coarse its not ALLOWED in caliā€¦ dont get it, but not On the(roster)ā€¦ bumms me out. these dumb laws in cali. just affects the law abiding citizens thats itā€¦ criminals get what ever they want, and mag rds as big as they wantā€¦ Carry Be Safe and GOD BLESSā€¦

I have a fs 45 & flush fit mags of 8 rounds. Thinking I can get a ms that holds 8 rounds (flush fit). Guessing this makes ther grip the same size. Is that incorrect?

In my opinion, having a Bobtail Round would help with CCW. I have 4inch and 4.33inch 1911, the 4inch is the 9mm 10+1, and the 4.33inch .45 8+1. Both conceal Awesome with the right holster. None of mine have the Bobtail.

4 Likes

Not sure what you mean by ms. The officer grip size is smaller than the government model. Some flush fit mags are one round less than the ones that hang out of the gun a little bit. A magwell works good with those. But they make flush 8 round government mags for the .45.

And then there are extended mags, I have no experience with them.

Can get a little confusing.

2 Likes

A semi bobtail (regular main spring housing that has been rounded and blended into the frame) works pretty good too.

3 Likes

If barrelā€¦ FS is full size ( 5 ish), MS is mid size ( 4 ish ") & CS compact size (3 ish) that said thanks to all for the answers youā€™ve been a real helpā€¦

Yes, 5" is Government, Commander is 4" or 4.25". But keep in mind, the grip can be officer sized or Government sized. Kinda like the Glock 17 vs Glock 45.

I got that wrong, the slide is different on the G17 and G45ā€¦ I am confusing myself. :laughing:

The full size grip and slide is a Government model. Commander slide is 4-4.25". Several make a gun with a Commander slide and full size grip, some do the grip Officer sized, which is a bit smaller.

A Commander slide with a full size grip is my favorite, it seems to get back on target faster.

4 Likes

This video was absolutely great. The writer really found the words to evoke the emotions and respect that gun owners fully understand about this weapon for the ages.

2 Likes

Itā€™s got everything you need, and nothing you donā€™t, all wrapped up in a slim package that points
very, very well, with a proverbial glass trigger launching 230 grainers and is as trustworthy as a pair of suspenders
Whatā€™s not to love?

2 Likes

I just took and older friend to buy a new carry heā€™s dumping his 45 and going to 9mm easier handling at his age and he doesnā€™t have to wear suspenders to hold up his pants.

1 Like

Are you asking about the size of the pistol or the size of the magazine?
Sorry, my coffee was weak, this morning.

If you can replace the base pad you can save approximately 3/16ā€

I carry loaded (left) slim base pad for EDC, carry 2 spares (middle). For special and formal settings (weddings, bank heists) I go flush (right)!
Honestly, I donā€™t use flush mags, their bite is worse than their bark! Admittedly, these are 7 round in officer size grip.
Bank heists, just a joke folks! Itā€™s a shame I have to clarify that in a country that has a First Amendment!

@Buddha-In-The-Sun
Interesting kits but for that price I would rather have a functional 1911 that I can make mistakes on or carve up as the case may be.

Here is the thread I started and have yet to finish

Perhaps it will give you some ideas.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I do love the 1911, but I honestly wouldnā€™t trade my striker fire gun for one for self defense. The ease of maintenance is just so different. A 1911 is not exactly hard, but itā€™s harder than pulling a tap and pulling the trigger to disassemble wipe down and go. The care of the 1911 is like a hobby itself.

4 Likes