The Legality of Printing

I understand - partially - the hesitancy to support 3-D printing of firearms. The temptations for an individual to possess such an item is undeniable. Untraceable firearms can wreak havoc among the criminal element (as well as the general public), and these “ghost guns” already have. But I oppose a ban on the self-manufacture of guns. I would support a reasonable way of restricting such kits and printers to those that are responsible citizens. I would not support serialization of parts, as that defeats the purpose of “building your own”. We all know the story. I’m against the use of cocaine and I am happy it is criminalized. “But I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who has a cousin who can get it.” Or how about TikTok? I hate the platform and I feel that the people who use the platform are mostly Communists. But I am against banning the platform because it represents absolute freedom. Banning is not the answer to something that should be clear and free. Because despite what people say, “we all know a guy who knows a guy”.

2 Likes

Have they?

Says who and can they show their work?

IMO firearms aren’t meant to be “traceable”, that’s called a registration which is explicitly not supposed to exist for hopefully-obvious reasons

6 Likes

Say what? Tracing has never solved any firearm-related crime. All it does is identify who originally purchased the firearm. Prior to the NFA, serial numbers were not federally mandated. Large manufacturers did use serial numbers, but for their own tracking purposes, not to find the original owners of firearms used in crimes. The average time-to-crime of firearms - from the ATF - is about 12 years, and the vast majority of those firearms were not used in a crime by the original owner.

6 Likes

Typical left wingnut thinking. Do they really think a well organized group operating outside the law really cares and would comply. If they do, I have some ocean front property in Ariz I can sell them.

4 Likes

To expand on my quesiton above: When I have seen control minded entitites claim “ghost guns” have wreaked havoc or anything of the sort…every time they have literally included regular production factory guns from major companies that were stolen and had the serial number ground off as a “ghost gun”

Very common anti tactic. Talk about A, use stats from T to support your position. Like talking about 3D printed guns and then references a factory S&W with the serial number ground down. Or talk about school shootings and then use a BB gun in their stat reference.

Ask for and evaluate the data yourself, almost every time you won’t even have to evaluate it because they won’t have it

2 Likes

Just so I’m clear, in a world where words send people to jail or worse, we’re still allowed to print those.

3 Likes

For anyone believing a criminal is going to go to the trouble of 3-D printing a gun, or building one from non-traceable parts, I have oceanfront property in Utah I’m willing to sell at an incredible low price (cash only). I think the label of “criminal” carries with it a propensity toward theft and an inclination towards not leaving incriminating evidence laying around. Am I guessing this? No. Years back I went to Crystal City (DC suburb) on a regular basis. The hotel I stayed at was on the main road through town and was backed up to what today would be considered low-income housing. At night I would sit in my hotel room (usually around the 5th floor) with the window shades open and the lights out. While munching popcorn I was frequently entertained watching “suspicious” looking characters selling handguns out of the trunk of their car. On a really active night there was often a gunfight to up the interest level. I suspect this method of obtaining an undocumented weapon remains more prevalent than 3-D printing or do-it-yourself gunsmithing. IMHO.

3 Likes

I agree with @Dave17 . It’s not changing anything.

1 Like

They know that criminals aren’t smart enough to make these guns! But, they’re scared that the terrorist can and will!! You know the illegals they helped cross the border!!!

1 Like

I don;t understand the logic of this. If a firearm is homemade and does not have a firearm, why does that mean if will be used in the commission of crime? A serial number stamped on a piece of metal or plastic does not reduce or affect crime.

4 Likes

I’m surprised by these comments. My initial feeling about the post was that there would be a combination of Fudds and Liberal loud mouths coming to the rescue of modern day gun control. I didn’t think many would agree with my anti-ban stance - however politically correct the language. So I’m happy that people feel the same way as I do. I felt compelled to post about “ghost guns” after viewing an episode of National Geographic, where they state that 3-D Printing/Ghost Guns are the domain of “violent J6 anarchists”. Their words not mine. I almost bought into the line. Then I thought, “how would people who’s typical subject matter is gorillas and mummies know anything about 3-D printing and ghost guns?” They don’t. But they’ve got a helluva imagination. Joe Biden, kiss my A__!

1 Like

The J6 crowd will have to rely on 3d printed ghost guns and machining 80% lowers because many now find themselves as “prohibited persons” and unable to purchase firearms. What’s the old saying “Can’t do the time. Don’t do the crime.”

An important thing to keep in mind.

For example, if you give a firearm to your child who lives in a different state, but you don’t go through an FFL, you may become a prohibited person

2 Likes

common sense printer control, eh? absolutely not. Firearms trace programs have less than a 1% effect on successful prosecution of violent crimes committed with firearms. thems the facts. The fact everyone wants to bitch about 3d printers yet no one wants to mention the fact i can build a sten from $100 worth of hardware store parts and have an open bolt subgun is mind blowing. Youve always been allowed to manufacture your own firearms. They only require a serial and manufacturer info if you sell one. Dont be mad now that people paid more attention to youtube videos and ctrlpew or PSR than they did in shop class.

1 Like