The Grey Man - USCCA Stickers

He was probably looking for something other than a pistol. What, don’t know.

What kinds of questions was he asking?

Do you have any insight on what might be going on in the park or surrounding area?

1 Like

I see the gray man as a family man who just wants to go about his day without being interfered with and without getting into political arguments or be targeted when he takes his kids to the park

And without his vehicle being broken into just to see what’s there when he parks it and walks away

I’m sorry you find me to be a deceiver with nefarious intentions because I don’t have a “keep honking, I’m reloading” sticker on my car.

5 Likes

I’m speaking of those who make the insidious attempt to make “The Grey Man” a “Thing, a Trend, or a Brand.” I’m not trying to offend anyone’s sensibilities. If you knew anything about me, you would at least know that!

3 Likes

Always good to arm yourself with friends, safety in numbers. Good that you were carrying your pistol as well;)

You made it sound like your friend was asking questions about the park before the officer started asking probing questions. Makes me wonder if the officer approached because he was suspicious of something or if your friend’s questions triggered the suspicion?

Did your friend know you were carrying and maybe got a little concerned about it when they saw the officer nearby? If your friend had noticed the officer and showed some nervous body language that could have triggered the officer’s interest.

2 Likes

I agree! If you are naturally a “Gray Man” that’s great! But trying to paint others under an unfavorable light, or coerce them to act/dress “your way” because they make decisions contrary to what amounts to a myth that has become a fact-less “cool trend” that you decided to adopt, or worse promulgate for profit or attention, then I take issue with it.

We already have WAY to much of that BS going on in this country. You do you and I’ll do me.

4 Likes

I personally have always preferred to blend in rather than to stand out. But that’s just me. I prefer to not be the center of attention. So I could care less how anyone else dresses or what bumper stickers they put on their cars, it usually leads to less attention coming my way:) But I do notice those things and occasionally make choices based on those observations. I strongly suspect others do as well even though I don’t know of any studies that would prove or disprove those “facts”.

Though I have seen cars that were clearly keyed because of the bumper stickers on them. I’ve also heard people pass judgements on those they pass by based on dress or bumper stickers. I think it would be unreasonable to assume that criminals aren’t making those assessments as well.

Everyone should be free to dress however they want and express their opinions to the world however they want. But I think it would be foolish to assume that others aren’t making decisions and taking actions based on those appearances and messages even though I can’t prove it with “facts”.

I’m not saying anyone should or shouldn’t be a grey man. Just saying that everyone should be aware of the messages they might be putting out and the potential thoughts and actions those messages might provoke in others. Even my “grey man” approach has sometimes drawn negative attention from others who seemed to feel I am not displaying appropriate levels of Patriotism and devotion to our country.

3 Likes

Eh I was actually trying my best to dodge the officer because I didn’t know where we were actually were going and when I got there I was out of service and couldn’t find if it was legal or not to carry in a national park, he went to the restroom, and I had to use the restroom, I seen the cop pull up so I immediately went to the restroom.

We went down and seen 2 paths and my friend was unsure where to go and we didn’t realize the size of the park, so we go back and the officer approaches us and my friend started asking questions about the park.

My friend knew I was carrying but I don’t think that’s what he was worried about. He just told me when the officer was asking the probing question it made him feel uncomfortable.

But again like I said, I was in plain clothes, had my firearm concealed, no firearm logos or anything of the like, just a super Mario hat. Cop isn’t going to show an interest with me, I don’t have a bag. My friend however did have a bag, and the way I observed things officer was more focused more on him then me.

3 Likes

It’s perfectly legal to conceal carry in National Parks as long as all state laws are being followed. How do you know the officer was looking for “incriminating stuff”? In many cases people read way more into an encounter with a LOE that what is truly happening just because of the uniform or past experiences.

In other cases the LEO might be asking questions because he’s monitoring or investigating activity that YOU may have nothing to do with. In all cases it makes no sense to be nervous as long as you are not a criminal or conducting criminal activity.

I’ve open and concealed carried in National Parks and had very positive interactions with Rangers quite a few times.

4 Likes

Actually that squirrelly behavior was probably the reason he started asking questions. I certainly would have…

4 Likes

Free expression is not free of consequences, everyone should know that. Every free person is their own judge and barometer as to what they think might be their consequences and can they deal with them.

Of course there are always folks that will jump to conclusions and in my experiences those conclusions are usually a mirror of their own prejudices and personal attitudes.

I desperately try to keep an open mind, but at times I can be judgmental. But in all cases I’ll be prepared to deal with the consequences of my expressions, verbal or implied by actions, decals, clothing etc.

And at the end of the day if anyone wants to judge me poorly because I have American flags on my car or clothing, they can approach me directly and I’ll be more than happy to deal with them because THEIR expressions can be dealt with by me too.

7 Likes

EXACTLY!

Just as I mentioned, all of the decals that I had amassed over the years, there is a backstory for each one; if someone would care enough to know and ask, they would get a history lesson of my experiences that led to their placement, but for the average observer to draw a conclusion they would do so without the benefit of that information. This goes for all of us. We all experience periods where we misjudge or become biased for whatever reason from time to time. None of us are exempt from this ill as long as we are members of the human academy, IMO.

The problem, however, is as you’ve mentioned, when those who make unscrupulous attempts to impose views as a sounding fury but signifying nothing and then denigrate those who don’t succumb to their way of thinking or to adopt some methodology that would be like chasing a cat up a rope that is not attached to anything on the other end is simply ludicrous.

We are all unique in character and personality, the problem that many of us have is that we apparently think something is wrong with it. IMHO.

5 Likes

Funny you mention that. Its been having some intermittent reception lately. Might just need to tighten it up.

A neighbor noticed it a while back, not part of the crowd, saying , “Is that really needed?”. I thought it was funny.

4 Likes

Like said, I want people to know I’m not an easy prey. I know my state law on self defense which is important.

4 Likes

Good summary. And every effective act of Self Defense starts by making decisions and acting within you state laws on use of deadly force :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

My job requires me to travel extensively, most of it in my truck, which has a Gadsden Flag sticker, a USCCA sticker, and some fishing stickers, I travel between 30,000 and 50,000 miles a year. I’ve never had any actions taken against me or my truck.

I also wear shirts with slogans, mostly patriotic, some pointedly conservative which I am, occasionally something with a gun or USCCA slogan on them. The only comments I have ever received have been positive and that has happened many times, I should point out I’m not small, 6’2" and 240 Lbs so I’m not sure I could be Grey.

While I understand the Grey man concept and don’t have issue with it, I would rather live my life based on my beliefs, freedom, patriotism, conservatism, my right to care a gun, and that America is the best Country on this planet (even though the libs try daily to destroy it), and I want people to know that is what I think, because I’m neither ashamed of it or hiding from those who want to take those things which I value.

Though I never look for trouble I feel that by wearing and advertising those ideas and things that I value, at the very least you will know what to expect if you are thinking about start something with me!

7 Likes

And this is exactly how I feel. And I believe in the right of gay folks to feel free to wear rainbows and liberals to be free to put Biden stickers on their cars without fear of retaliation, but by God, I should be able to express my beliefs openly to!

10 Likes

No! You’re an intolerant tyrant, shame on you for taking such a stand. You should be called: Curmudgeon. Have your dog tags melted, your P38 taken as it is a potential assault weapon, and further; you are to submit to having “No Dessert” stamped on your Meal Card. lol.

Now, I hope that you didn’t take me seriously, or think I wish you any ill will. I’m jesting and hoping you find a little humor in the sarcasm. Peace, brother; I come in peace. :v: :vulcan_salute: :love_you_gesture: :fist_right: :fist_left:

5 Likes

What are they are going to do? Shave our heads and send us to war? Been there, done that. Lol :crazy_face:

5 Likes

That’ll teach him! lol.

4 Likes

Nice! I’ve only got a little over 324,000 miles on my 2500 HD. I’ll get there.

3 Likes