The best CLP for handguns

Do you ever read the threads? This thread is about CLP; it is not about cleaning products in general.

2 Likes

There is something to be said for separating out the C, the L, and the P. If you don’t mind taking that little extra time I do believe you absolutely get better results that way vs an all in one, even if the all in one is ‘good enough’

I split the difference and almost always use a CLP to clean, then an oil for lubrication (or some grease and oil both, depending on the firearm). That way if I don’t get oil on a spot for some reason it should still have some lube properties remaining

2 Likes

I read just fine, thanks.

Some of us realize the value of individual products as opposed to the “all in one” products that have recently made their way on to the market.

Stay safe out there Mike.

3 Likes

I agree. Some folks are limited on time so, they may need to go with the “one size fits all” solution for caring for their firearms. And that I understand completely.

That’s the nice thing about this forum. What works for you, may not work for me and vice-versa.

Stay safe out there Nathan.

3 Likes

I just use breakfree clp. I just assume that’s what people mean when they say “CLP” :joy:.

3 Likes

Great assumption. :+1:
That is exactly what the thread should be about.

3 Likes

I like Hoppes!

4 Likes

My son got several bottles of this when he took a one week USPSA introductory class:
G96 Products’ New Bio-Based Synthetic Gun Oil Triggers U.S. Army Approval – G96 Products Inc.

He gave me one to try out. I used the the first time yesterday on my EDC. It had not been fired, just carried for about a month between lubrication refresh, but I’ll find out what I think of it next month when I break the EDC down again.

Edit: this is what I’ve been using and it is drier than a mouse fart after a month:

3 Likes

G96 is a good stuff.
I’m using G96 Liquid Grease mostly for storage but it works great with Glock-ish pistols.
Not recommended for tight fit firearms.

Hoppe’s Elite and Black are great but only for short period of time. Lube the gun and shoot it.
For storage G96 does a great job.

2 Likes

I love the lingering aroma of Hoppes solvent

1 Like

hoppes

It’s really addicting… :pinched_fingers:

4 Likes

For general handgun use:

C: Hoppes
L&P: Mobil 1 and High Temp bearing grease depending on gun and expected use.

4 Likes

I know its only been 13 days, but I had to check … everything is still nicely oiled up!

2 Likes

I love CLP and it’s good for semi-long storag too ( cpl-few years) . First time I got it ppl said “ why do you want that junk?”and Id say “ I like it, works for me “. I’m having a hard time finding the good stuff I like it’s in a black can with CLP on it in big yellow letters. I got sum from a local gun shop/range and it costed 16$ and it’s red and in a little plastic round spray thing and I tossed that crap in file 13. My son was the first one to say it was junk then he said a cpl yrs later they sprayed it in the M2 .50s in Iraq when they gummed up. It seemed when I got that good kind there wasn’t anyother kind back then or at least I didn’t see any other kind. That stuff lasted me for years and want some more. BTW. I got from Sportsmans Guide & Surplus “ 1000 gun cleaning wicks, German Waffen on box Ang OMG It looked like in the catalog the box was about the size of the avg cigar box but it got here today and it’s the size of 2 shoe boxes stacked up together! Neither me or my son or his son nor his grand kids will EVER need to buy a cleaning patch or “ wick”. It’s crazy! If about a dozen of you need any I’ll send you a pkg of them for free! I mean that,

2 Likes

This is what I found on Sportsmans Guide:

I found this on Amazon: Amazon.com : BREAK FREE BF-CLP4 CLP Liquid 4 oz : Gun Cleaning Kits : Sports & Outdoors

Is this the good stuff?

3 Likes

It’s fine. Commonly used for a long time. It works.

2 Likes

That’s the brand/ kind I had and and wanting to get alright, but mine was that stuff but was in a spray can like a short spray paint can it had the red stick with it and all but I’ll take it anyway it comes. But that’s the good stuff right there in the picsw

1 Like

Yes sir, that is what we had in the Army. It is the Milspec standard. We usually just called it Break Free as our generic description. I still use it, but I have developed an affinity for Lucas products lately.

2 Likes

A 2024-01-14 12-17-51

Was good… is good… but you can find better products these days. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s it alright!a

2 Likes