The Basics of Blending into a Crowd: Becoming the Gray Man : Blend Baby Blend!

Smoke And Mirrors

Like magicians using smoke and mirrors to disappear, use some tricks of your own to make yourself disappear from others. Do your homework and learn about local customs. Likewise, buy second-hand clothing for quick changes. Finally, don’t attract unwanted attention by acting differently from the locals or the crowd.

The best part of all? They will be looking everywhere for you while you are virtually hiding in plain sight!’
This has been said before (2020) Updated/Fresh.
Debates coming
Election on Horizon
SHTF Possible.
Be SAFE
Be Careful
SHIELDS UP!
If something feels ‘Hinky’ GET OUT OF THERE!

Stay Chocolate Frosty My Brothers and Sisters.
adonde nosotros vamos uno nosotros ir todo!!!
Nessun passo sul serpente

11 Likes

I am not Chocolate Frosty right now but , I do resemble Malibu Barbie after working outdoors since March.
Not a bad look but hard to disguise in some places.
This July 4th I will be in the Parade as the company where I work is turning 100 years old. I will be carrying
during the parade as our placement of the parade is the starting line. Company logo on the T-Shirts… may be hard to ditch. If my life depends on it … I don’t care if I am streaking down mainstreet with just my holster.
My boss being the Grand Marshal of the parade. I have gone throuth route physically and yes, if a nut bag is going get out of line I am prepared to bail.

11 Likes

If you do know what to expect from the typical local attire
bland-colored clothing is best.

I was at a party yesterday. Mindful of gang activity in that part of town, I chose not to wear red or blue shirt.
I’m not going to invite trouble.

As for the Independence Day parade, blending in means wearing patriotic attire. :us:

9 Likes

Karen55 be safe and your head on a swivel
ya still can have fun and still be on watch

7 Likes

Well I’m going out of town head will be on a swivel but I will dress and act like myself I won’t change me for anyone.

6 Likes

This is where I’m not good…I really like Gadsden, patriotic and camo shirts lol

7 Likes

This is probably the best Quote these days.
Maybe ‘Greyman’ isn’t for you? But the Basic Self Defense rule Situational Awareness, Use your head, Be Careful, Be Vigilant, Be Aware, Protect yourself and your own is a start.
But Michael said it best just now: Have FUN (But Eyes open, Ears Up!)
The Enemy is trying to Demoralize us, Suck all the Life out of us. Disarm us.

Don’t let the bestards win!

7 Likes

Same, thankfully, even before I began carrying, I liked Hawaiian shirts. :sunglasses: I teased my former LEO b-i-l about a selfie he sent me wearing a Hawaiian shirt, then I showed-up wearing one. I assumed he knew I was carrying, due to the attire, but he never let on. My wife discovered when she hugged me at one point. Once she felt the holstered handgun, she immediately shifted her hand to my shoulder. I asked her later, and she said until then, she did not know.

10 Likes

Good post, a person should apply this to all of the time. Especially if you are out and about a lot. I am a chef so in my area I am always getting caught by people saying, “You are the chef!” Even when I am downtown Seattle at Pikes Place Market picking up food and shopping. No one knows that I am carrying but yet, I am.

8 Likes

Maybe you should be a lil moe Grey man Brother as you go to the Market and such?! :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat:

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

My “grey man” image is to present as an active older man with no outward appearance of crime-worthy possessions, including my firearm. I strive to keep my expression neutral and my interactions civil.

Nothing to see here.

11 Likes

Dress typical and plain, wear a hoodie, put the hood up, keep your eyes down, look around for situational awareness but not too much and don’t make eye contact as eye contact draws people in, don’t say anything, wear a non descript or generic major company branded baseball cap

Don’t wear a Hawaiian shirt unless it’s a time/place many others are as well or people will assume an increased chance a firearm is present. Remember, it’s not the so called “sheep” you are worried about guessing you have a gun, it’s people in the know…and those people pick up on things like Hawaiian style shirts when they are out of place

5 Likes

I have worn them for many years, even before I carried. There are people that like the style that are not CC. I believe they are more common with older men, especially those that have gained some weight… I now fit that profile, too. :sunglasses:

I don’t wear them when it gets cold… I believe that would be out-of-place even where I live. Where I live people wear winter coats when it’s 50° F, but I don’t usually even wear a jacket in that temp, so I typically look out of place. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I’ve had good friends who have let me know that the local range is offering the concealed carry class for a certain state. I smile and nod like that’s real interesting while they apparently have no idea that I am carrying at the moment.

Of course, they may have a certain suspicion and are bringing that up to see my reaction.

10 Likes

Yes! At work, I brought up a concern about one of our sites, how I don’t think it’s a safe spot for our staff.
One guy said, “yeah you better bring your concealed weapon when you’re visiting that place.”
I just laughed and moved on.

Being “grey” includes spoken words.

6 Likes

Dress like the Wolf in Sheeps clothing and blend in with the sheep! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :laughing: :dotted_line_face: :point_left: and hope Little Red Riding Hood doesn’t make you out! :flushed:

4 Likes

I’ve also asked dumb questions like, “how is that legal?!” Or “oh, can you do that in this state now?”

4 Likes

Depends on the context. If you are conversing with people you know and regularly interact with, certainly…typically, people do speak at some point.

But the overarching “gray man” concept I am familiar with is for when you are around people who don’t know you, and the idea is they never identify, know, or remember you.

3 Likes

don’t make eye contact as eye contact draws people in

This is good advice! My CC instructor was saying that people who might target you for robbery or something like that may be deterred if they see you look at them but imho there’s a big difference between that and making eye contact with someone.

We get a lot of junkies and just plain not right individuals hanging around where I work. The only times I’ve had interactions with them other than one dude clearly high out of his mind was because I made eye contact. It just invites conversation. Just my tactic and someone can say if it’s actually a bad idea but only make eye contact if you’re ready to engage.

Edit: I also wear bigger sunglasses a lot lol Partially because I just always have and partially because it allows me to observe without giving too much away.

5 Likes