Grey man vs unapologetic

I almost posted this on FB but this community has always provided honest feedback not matter how difficult to swallow it is.

To begin I have a very good understanding of the grey man approach and understand it’s pro’s and con’s. However I have found myself being much less apologetic for my politics and beliefs. I’m not confrontational about it but I’m done being quite about.

My question to this group is where is the line? I understand everyone has a different approach and different tolerances. That’s why I’m asking. It seems only the extreme sides have a voice and neither speaks for me.

Thank you in advance for your time responding.

12 Likes

This is a tough question. I am a dad and husband. I am not apologetic but I’m also avoiding confrontation. I believe in standing up for your beliefs but it’s hard because of today’s climate if you say anything there is a camera there to twist your words.

11 Likes

There are times I would like to go totally all out on comments but, I have restraint. I saw a picture of the guy that got his arm shot and someone put a Hornady Logo with it. I thought is was a realistic truth in a good ammo selection. I also know that it is better to remain silent and thought of as wise than to speak and remove all doubt. Posting on Facebook about your political views is like talking to a wall, you are not going to change someones opinion. A lot of peoples view point is based upon their personal experiences. When you get mugged and held at knife point, robbed, raped, and/or beaten you might want to become a self-protector and arm yourself. Basically, if a person is going to change, it is not because anyone posted a picture of a unicorn in a field of flowers or a picture of a M-249.
What matters is communicating to our elected officials, voting, supporting great groups like USCCA, 2A, and any other group that supports your ideas. If someone approaches you on your opinion than they are open game. Do not need to argue because you will be wasting your effort. I hope this helps a little.

17 Likes

Walked around Walmart with my wife two days ago, Woodland BDU pants and the olive drab tshirt with my militias logos on them. Nobody made a fuss. I’ve been getting a strong vibe from people, even those i don’t know, that they’re absolutely done with all of the BS.

I believe America is just about to the point where the silent majority is no longer restrained, no longer silent, no longer tolerant of extremes.

17 Likes

Nancy and I are done hiding (see post in Pro Freedom Memes). :+1: :us:

10 Likes

I still grey Man. But on range day I am pro 2A wear and USCCA geared. Plus I OC so my right hand is free.

7 Likes

It’s okay to have differing opinions, with regards to politics and current political climate it seems easy to get wrapped up in a heated argument with someone on the opposite side.
I do try to understand the other sides approach, for example -red flag laws. Not so much in agreement with a hard opposite opinion but just being able to understand the mindset of how the opposite thinks, will help you in any argument. Devils advocate argument so to speak. Use facts with statistics. Typically you may not deter this person from thinking differently, usually most people who have a hard enough opinion rarely move based on one argument. But it will make you feel better knowing that someone elnse may see your information or may be listening, someone who is on the Fence about politics or really any argument worth wasting breath on. Those are the ones that you can change. Speak boldly but not in an aggressive manner. Good luck!

7 Likes

All I can say for me is, if you do not want to hear the answer you had better not ask the question

8 Likes

Keep in mind, that grey man is blending in where you are. If you live in an area that is highly pro-2A, flag flying, God bless America type people, then pro-2A, patriotic, God bless America dress is grey man. If you were headed to The Chaz/Chop Zone dressed like that, then you would stick out like a sore thumb. There is a time to be “loud and proud” and there is a time, to be just part of the scenery. Knowing which is which, is the whole shebang.

10 Likes

I am very much both. It sounds bad to say, but it very much depends on the situation. When I am out with my young boys or family, it is straight up grey man. If it is just me, I am not necessarily grey. BUT if you engage me in conversation, etc. it is always unapologetic as some petition pushers found out the hard way.

5 Likes

I agree completely. My family will tell anyone. You either love me or hate me. Cause I don’t hold back I don’t have a filter and I say what comes to my mind no
Matter what. If someone asks for an opinion I give it to them and sometimes they like it and sometimes they don’t lol. I was taught by my parents opinions are like asses everyone has one lol

3 Likes

A person should not have to worry about liberal snowflakes calling the police when they see you with a firearm, but I find myself concerned about neighbors because this police department is very ant-2A and CHP. I had a short conversation with a Sgt on this PD about carrying, when he found out that I carry at home he said… “that’s odd, I could take your firearms away from you”! I contacted a 2A/Self-defense attorney with the USCCA and was told that would be totally illegal for him to take my firearms for that reason (my state has no red-flag laws at this time).

4 Likes

I where what i pull out of my dresser it might be a pro 2A shirt or a plain t shirt I don’t give one thought about what someone else thinks or how they feel about what i have on never have i had anyone approach me and be confrontational and if it were to happen i would walk away. Like i tell my children if you let what someone else says or thinks determine your actions they have control over you…

7 Likes

I’m unapologetic in most cases, but I also like to keep below radar and blend in w/ the indigenous population most of the time. The less anyone knows about me, the better…keeps 'em on their toes.

Previous residence…flannels and socks w/ my sandals, current residence…whatever in Realtree Edge or Mossy Oak Break-up Country patterns and crocs. :rofl:

6 Likes

Still cloaked, but will show true colors if it shows up in my face. NO APOLOGIES!
If I was 40 years younger and buff, no problems. I no longer think I’m invincible!

8 Likes

As for me, I pick my battles.

Going to the mall with a MAGA hat is inviting trouble.

I want to be left alone.

There’s a reason why the left is afraid of the “silent majority.”

10 Likes

I’m going to be a little unapologetic here when I say, I could literally give two :poop: about what is said on any form of social media, so therefore I do not discuss politics there. I guess this forum is a form of social media :man_shrugging:t2:…but I use it to learn and have productive conversations.

In public I do not go out of my way to preach my politics, nor do I shy away from my beliefs when asked. Had a relative recently tell me they didn’t admit they owned a gun recently in fear of how they’d be perceived. Ten to fifteen minutes later I finished explaining how I felt about his comment but he is family. Any other citizen I’m not wasting my time arguing.

Now if someone wanted to have a realistic and productive conversation, I’m all about it. I’ve had a few of these over the years and really found it enjoyable. We disagreed but with respect. If it could always be that way…but I digress…

I do agree with the OP about silence. I’m no walking billboard but I’ll throw on a Sig shirt, Glock shirt, or a federal hat and think nothing about it or worry how it’s perceived. I’m a school administrator so when I’m seen in public supporting a gun company it usually strikes up a conversation. These conversations are very positive.

6 Likes

The same reason that I have about 8 different Trump hats and wear a different one each day. I have never had a negative comment. I have been buying Trump Ball caps for over a two years to give out to people that would wear them.

4 Likes

Try to be grey man sometimes, but mostly are not shy about my feelings. I write in my local paper often, and many have attacked me in the paper, and I always tell them to prove me wrong and write their own letter, and sign their name. When they attack in the paper, it’s anonymous, done on the phone. Challenged many to write, but they are too chicken to stand up. Now, if summer is hot and I don’t feel like sweating, will open carry. So far, no one has had a problem, including local, state or any law enforcement people I have encountered. Actually some have stated their like of open carry. If I was confronted, simply educate the person in a non patronizing way, and then be on your way. Invite them to the range.

3 Likes

In general I remain a grey man. During the day I look like any other trade monkey, blue jeans / Carhart’s, Boot’s and a company shirt. In the evenings and on weekends I’m straight out of Margaritaville except I don’t wear shorts EVER, Blue jeans, Jimmy Buffet or some other beach themed t-shirt and a Hawaiian shirt with Top Siders. The only thing that might give me away is a well worn 1 3/4" leather Bianchi gun belt. Otherwise I can be found in a suit or Dockers n polo or with shirt and jacket depending on the event. While I do have several gun related and gun competition related t-shirts they mostly reside in my hunting gear. In general I avoid public places, which has nothing to do with the Wuhan Flu and more to do with my hearing loss. This whole mask thing is killing me as I never realized how much I relied on reading lips during a conversation until now.

As far as Political, Civil Disobedience or 2A conversations it often starts off as a dance to find out where the other person is coming from and if they are only receptive to their own viewpoint or if they are just mouthing talking points for either side or if they are actually well informed. Once that is determined I can set my course for the conversation. Depending on my mood, circumstances (talking with a client) or the environment I may give a full broadside or I might be the sarcastic a$$hole I am famous for or possibly engage in conversational satire which leaves them thinking as I am walking away “He was a really nice guy and I actually liked it when he indirectly called me stupid, since he proved it. Wait! I AM stupid!”

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes