Texas Signage Laws “Conspicuous”

Guess we won’t be seeing any assemble-it-yourself carbine-hiding coffee tables anytime soon?

6 Likes

That’s fine if you don’t want to go there. But, I would send them a cert rr letter and tell them that they are now insuring their patron’s lives and liberty by refusing to allow firearms. And, that if you hear of anyone hurt in a robbery, etc you will notify that person and their lawyer of your letter putting the shopping mall on notice of their liability. This way you put it right back on them and watch them pucker up when the S does hit the fan. A much better and enhanced I told you so. And, you will be doing the next victim a huge favor.

5 Likes

I was told in my concealed carry class that mall purposely will do this, because if you did not go in that door, you are not illegal. It is a way they get around telling the community, we don’t allow firearms in our mall, yet they have extra security for the ones who know that they can go in such and such door and be ok.

I believe the term here is “concealed.” The deeper concealed the better.

1 Like

I think the bigger question should be, What’s a “mall”?

3 Likes

5 Likes

I don’t allow clothing marked with the Nike logo, soft drink containers labeled Coca-Cola, and several other leftist corporate products and emblems to be brought into my office or home. I also limit the speech of other persons in my office and home by disallowing swearing and other offensive language.

There is a convenience store in my neighborhood that posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs back when I frequently visited it, I told the manager that I wouldn’t come back until those signs came down. He took the signs down. It was a win for us. But I later stopped going in that store because the clerks were rude and unfriendly.

Our area has a local womens’ shelter to which battered women and their children may escape. It is a good thing to have. The women’s shelter has a very large re-sale store that is funded by community donations of used goods and funding. The store has the legal 30.06 and 30.07 signs prominently displayed at the entrance. How ironic: An organization that protects battered women from screwed-up, mean, angry and evil spouses and live-in boyfriends turns right around and denies those same women their God-given right to keep and bear firearms to protect themselves from those same and other screwed-up, mean, angry and evil people. I don’t make contributions to them or go in there anymore. I told them that, and they didn’t care. Our local “Love In The Name Of Christ” charity now gets anything that I might have given to the women’s shelter store.

Malls are usually owned by large, far-away corporations run by persons with high-class MBAs. They are pretty much clueless about the real world, and it’s unlikely that you’ll ever get them to change. I don’t go in malls anymore. Lots of other people don’t go in malls anymore.

3 Likes

I’m a Texas License to Carry Instructor. The law is very specific. Both signs must have letters of a specific size. They must be posted at all entrances. A previous response is correct that if you ignore an incorrectly posted sign and are then asked to leave by management because you are carrying you mus t comply or you will be in violation.

4 Likes

Can someone please explain what in the Hell is an "open carry band?’

1 Like

It’s easier just to show you.

3 Likes

I don’t know how it is in Texas, but I know that some businesses put up signs like that, that don’t meet the legal requirements just to pacify the snowflakes. In Illinois there is a prescribed size/format/ and placement that the sign has to adhere to in order to be legal and all of those are spelled out very precisely in the law. I’m actually surprised that this got through the legal process, but it did. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

What is this thing you call a “mall”… :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s the waste of land where cars get door dents

1 Like

Chief, respectfully, I think it is actually as follows:

1. if the signs and their posting, wording, lettering size and/or other characteristics do not meet the requirements under whichever of 30.06 or 30.07 is applicable, the signs have no legal effect, and there is therefore no violation of 30.06 or 30.07;

2. if the signs meet the requirements and the person enters, he/she is in violation of whichever of 30.06 or 30.07 is applicable, which is only a Class C Misdemeanor; and

3. if the signs do not meet the requirements under whichever of 30.06 or 30.07 is applicable, and thus have no legal effect, and/or if there are no signs at all entrances or at the entrance through which the person entered, and the person is told to leave the property but does not comply, he/she is not in violation of 30.06 or 30.07, but is instead in violation of the criminal trespass statute at 30.05, which under that statute is a Class A or Class B Misdemeanor, depending on various circumstances as set out in 30.05. (See https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/PE/htm/PE.30.htm.) And under the current Texas license to carry statute, a person convicted of a Class A or Class B Misdemeanor will (or can, I don’t remember which off hand) will not qualify for or will lose, as the case may be, their Texas license to carry.

They should be sitting ducks

What is a 30 06 and 30 07? Please explain.

I truly wish you people would define your shooting range lingo. Not everyone has the language skills for range shooting.

Those numbers are the Texas statutes regarding anti-gun signage.

1 Like

I agree. A favorite restaurant where a bunch of us (like 10 or so) often go after matches put up such a sign one day. A couple weeks later I went by the place (during a slow period; they won’t listen if you try to have this conversation during a rush) to talk to the owner. He understood immediately and said the sign wasn’t pointed at people like us, but rather he somehow thought having that sign would give prosecutors or cops greater leverage if the restaurant was ever the subject of an armed robbery. He took the sign down without fanfare sometime after that. The story made the rounds and a lot of people who carry patronize the place regularly and people who don’t don’t know the difference.

2 Likes

And are unknowing beneficiaries, being in a safer environment should the spit ever hit the can.

3 Likes