Businesses that prohibit carrying of firearms

Hey y’all. I’m looking to travel and prefer to know ahead of time whether a business is posting signage prohibiting concealed/open carry of firearms. In TX, there is a website named Texas3006.com that allows users to submit which businesses prohibit carry and other users can spend their money elsewhere. Are there similar websites in the other states?

4 Likes

my girlfriends aunt lives down there and as far as I understand as long as they don’t have a sign posted you are able to carry at that business

3 Likes

I haven’t heard of that in other states, @Stephen6… That sounds like something I might be able to set up in the Community. Let me do some digging. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@Dawn - there is an iPhone app called “Posted” that I use. It lists nearby businesses that are anti-gun and offers pro-gun/neutral alternatives.

9 Likes

I’ve seen four businesses here in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina: Spectrum, T-Mobile,BB&T Bank, and Reilly’s Restaurant. All on the south end of the island.

3 Likes

the gun shop I buy from they have something like that on their website places owned by gun owners or that welcomes gun owners

3 Likes

Great post Stephen.

That link is awesome, I have used it a lot to bring my money elsewhere. It is very accurate at well.
I stopped shopping at Ikea years ago because they had a sign up.

To be clear for folks who are traveling here, Texas law states code 30.06 (coincidentally named btw) that if a business posts the “Correct” (correct signage is in the law) and authorized signage in English and Spanish a person with a LTC (License to Carry) can not carry the weapon concealed or open carry in that establishment. The sign cannot be a universal no guns circle with a red hash through it, or just a sign that says “No Guns”, it has to be worded as described in the law.

Secondly, there is a law 30.07, that says you can not OPEN CARRY in their establishment. Concealed Carry is fine. I give a little bit more leniency to these as maybe their customers get all excited if they see a sidearm. We have a grocery store chain down here called HEB that has these signs up.

Now a bit of a caveat to this… The penalties. If you are in a 30.06 establishment and are discovered carrying a firearm, years ago it would be a misdemeanor and you’d lose your CCP, . They changed this part of the law in the past few years, it is NO longer a misdemeanor but merely a ticket, similar to a traffic ticket. Either way you may be asked to leave the establishment, which you should comply.

With this part of the law changed, I do carry into 30.06 establishments if I do shop there and just risk getting a ticket. The only 30.06 place that I shop at is the one movie theater that is closest to our town. I am NEVER going to a movie theater without my EDC.

SeaWorld has the 30.06 sign up and they have metal detectors, so when we go there I take off my EDC. My daughter carries her flip knife and such as they profile and never ever check the ladies.
I feel so much safer in SeaWorld now.

5 Likes

I should also note, some signage seen in Texas doesn’t follow the penal code requirements. Most establishments owned by the Pappas family (ex. Pappasitos, Pappadeaux, etc.) have a sign stating you can’t openly carry a firearm, but they don’t follow the legal requirements. These locations are also listed in Texas3006, but “invalid”.

2 Likes

thanks for the info they have it for android to .99 just added to phone

3 Likes

just checked out posted it’s app works an pretty much every state and you can add anti and pro business to it yourself to help other people

1 Like

I did not know that on Pappas… We have a business relationship with their catering division. We may have to rethink that. Wow, bummer. Regardless of the wrong sign with them or not their intentions are not aligned with our stance on 2a.

2 Likes

If you search the android playstore it’s on there too… you may need the “!” on the end of “posted!” to find it though. I use it. It’s well populated with data in some areas and not in others… I’m working on updating it everywhere I am so that it’s more useful… it’s crowd-sourced info in the database.

http://rightapp.net/wp/posted/

2 Likes

They should really consider renaming that… a 30.06 establishment?

I would think I can take my 30.06 in.

3 Likes

It has to do with Section 30.06 of the TX penal code that provides businesses the notice parameters to prohibit concealed carry on their premises.

1 Like

So for clarity to those of us unwashed in Texas rules, anybody have a pic of the “approved and legal” 30.06 & 30.07 signs?

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Indeed.

The comment I made was in the facetious category.

1 Like

2 Likes

All those words…

and it only needs to say

Customers do not enter.

3 Likes

My CCW instructor taught us his response to this crap. He printed up a bunch of business card sized messages for those institutions.

“No guns, no business” Leave it with the manager.

Correction, “Conservative Customers, do not enter”