Suppressors/Silencers on your home defense weapon?

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/silencerco-can/

Suppressors (silencers) are starting to become more available, but you still have to jump through a lot of hoops to get one and in Wisconsin, it can take up to a year.

Do you have a suppressor? Is it on your wish list?

Would you put a suppressor on your home defense weapon?

3 Likes

I absolutely would! I’ve been thinking about putting one on my AR Pistol actually

3 Likes

I will admit, I had never considered the idea of a silencer from that viewpoint. While it definitely would not work for CC, for home defense, it sounds like a good idea (plus, it is less likely to disturb the neighbors😀)

2 Likes

I would not.
I prefer my neighbors to hear gunshots and eventually call 911 if I cannot do this.

1 Like

I personally am a big fan of suppressors especially on bolt guns. I was almost ready to “pull the trigger” on one when the Dems took over the Legislature and something made me pause. Now it is looking like it will not be possible given the current climate in VA. If you do decide to get one there is A LOT of research you need to do about what they are and what they are not.

If the boolet is supersonic leaving the muzzle it’s going to be LOUD inside the house.

Suppressors convert noise into HEAT, cans get HOT and fast. The more effective they are the hotter they get.

It is UNWISE to simply screw a can on the front of an AR or any weapon that has “factory” threads. The suppressor threads MUST be indexed to the BORE of the barrel not to the outside surface otherwise you could get a baffle strike which can be impressive and expensive.

ALWAYS look for a “serviceable” can, they can and do wear out and if yours is non serviceable when that happens you need to apply for (and pay for) a new tax stamp AND buy a new can. This is especially important if you get a .22LR can.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Yes
and soon thanks to Santa and the Easter Bunny. :grin:

1 Like

Hey @Craig6, can you tell us more about that? Are you talking about getting a bore alignment tool or something else?

I want at least one suppressor/silencer BUT I’m unwilling to jump the legal hurdles & go through the red tape to get one. Ok
 Unwilling at this point. I hate filling out the transfer paperwork & it’s just 2 pages. :confused::v:t5:

It “should be” a bit more involved than that but it can also be as simple as that if you get lucky. Contrary to popular belief bores are quite often not straight and as such the hole in the front may not be in the middle or pointing straight ahead. Then we start stacking variables with the machining of the threads at the muzzle end if not indexed to the bore and are instead cut in line with the profile of the external barrel. If they are off just a bit and the bore is off just a bit and lets say your .223 can is 10" long with an exit hole of .27" it doesn’t take very much to have a baffle strike or more dramatically blow the front end of the can off.

Unfortunately in the case of most AR’s that come pre threaded if the gunsmith finds your 16" tube is out of alignment he “should” refuse to cut it back as it would turn it into an SBR and by my math too long for a pistol. IMHO if you are going down the road of getting a can order a barrel with it.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

IMO, suppressors should be legal. I would absolutely use a suppressor on a home defense firearm (although some experts, i.e. John Lovell, disagree). Additionally, IMO hunters should absolutely have the option for suppressors to minimize hearing damage, reduce “sound pollution,” and increase the ability to communicate with those around them.

Personally, I would lump a suppressor in with safety equipment for my purposes.

1 Like

I know regulations vary by state. One thing I would encourage members to do is to investigate creating a “Gun Trust”. Its cheap and allows the bypass of the required signature from the chief LE officer in my county. Likely similar in yours. Advantage would be that your spouse can also be named in the Trust allowing that person to have full access to the “tax stamp” item. Ordinarily the weapon ONLY can be used by the owner. The Trust is the owner and all the approved officers on the Trust have full power and Priv’s with the weapon. 100 bucks or so to create a solid Trust online. Great ones out there.

Absolutely no reason to not have a suppressor on your home defense weapon, if you have one. Personally, I do not have a suppressor for my 870 12ga, but if I did I’d find a way to use it for home defense.