Need help for suppressor

I currently own a Springfield Saint and want to run a can on it. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to mounting one and what hardware I will need. I’m not sure what exact one I’ll purchase but the Saint has the A2 birdcage so I know that I’ll need to purchase an aftermarket muzzle break that’s threaded? Not sure what all I will need. I know there are washers that may need to be used and then there is also thread adapters. The new guy needs help.

2 Likes

One thing is a Tax Stamp from the feds. It’s $200 and a long waiting period. And this is AFTER you buy the suppressor. So you will also need… patience.

5 Likes

Yeah I am well prepared for that😂 but I’m also not sure if a certain muzzle break will fit the AR I own and do I have to run a totally different barrel that’s also threaded? I’m totally lost on suppressors

4 Likes

You’ll be spending over $1000 on top of the tax stamp, but you can’t go wrong with a Surefire setup. I have a 16" Saint Victor and have been looking at a suppressor setup. When the money tree blooms this is what I’ll be looking at getting. …and it’s not in bloom for me for a long long time :unamused:

I’d replace the muzzle device with a Surefire WarComp flash hider and get the RC2 556 suppressor (links below)

You can have your local gun shop replace your muzzle device while you wait, or if you’ve got the equipment do it yourself.

YouTube is full of videos on these.

3 Likes

Do you need any other hardware other than the flash hider?

1 Like

And also when you’re looking at different muzzle breaks/flash hiders you have to figure out what thread pitch your barrel is. I have no idea what the saints thread pitch is and how you would figure that out?

2 Likes

Yes, tax stamp, yes you wait. My average wait time is about a year, and you plop down your money before you apply for your stamp, so you have all that money out there and nothing for a year. As for muzzle devices, every brand requires a different muzzle device. The nice thing is that most suppressors come with an appropriate muzzle device. So all you have to do is make sure you order the right thread pitch, but luckily most thread pitches are standard for the bore size.

I would also recommend using a SilencerShop affiliated dealer. The kiosk greatly simplifies the process and you can do your finger prints right there on the kiosk and do t have to go to your local police department.

6 Likes

If you are going through the process and pain of getting a suppressor it would serve you well to have the BORE and the muzzle THREADS aligned. It will serve you no good service to screw on a can and have the first round be a baffle strike because the muzzle threads were not concentric with the bore. It is a simple task for a gunsmith with a lathe to index the bore with the threads and may or may not require cutting but the effort is worth it. In general AR-15 muzzle threads are 1/2" x 28 TPI but there is no telling how those threads were put there or if the bore is concentric with the OD of the barrel. At worst it will cost you a new tube if things are really out of whack.

As far as muzzle brakes that go with various suppressors to effect a QD (Quick Disconnect) attachment they are all proprietary. I prefer SureFire cans and attachments but even they will unscrew given sufficient beating. Yes I have shot more than one can off the front of a rifle, thank you tax payers.

The only reason I would not check the muzzle threads vs bore alignment is if I was using an over size can with a thread adapter, say a 1/2" x 28 TPI to a 5/8" x 24 TPI for a 30 cal rifle on an AR. YES you can use a 30 cal can on a 5.56 to fair effect but NOT the other way around.

One other thing to consider on your standard gas impingement rifle is to look at a piston system. My biggest issue with the AR platform is that it $h!t’s where it eats and with a can it $h!t’s a LOT!!! I like the Osprey System (they got bought by somebody but look up Osprey Gas Piston System) they cost about $250 but having run them and worked with the design engineers they are the best under cover gas piston system on the market IMHO.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

@Craig6 I have noticed that pretty much every 5.56 is 1/2 x 28 and haven’t really came across anything else. I’ve checked most forums and for my AR it seems like I fall into that category as well. I have been looking at the SilencerCo Saker 556K ASR and it comes with both the can and flash hider but there are so many I like. The Trash Panda by Q is another one so I guess it’s just preference at this point. I have a local gun shop that I will probably end up having them do the work instead of buying shims and whatnot and going through the process myself the first time.

3 Likes

@bmurphy315 I won’t tell you what can to buy nor will I make a recommendation beyond what I have stated . 1/2" x 28TPI is the standard for a 5.56 am I would be rather surprised to find a production gun without it unless it is an off caliber platform like 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout or some such. My point is simply that a bore check is worth the pain and inconvenience to ensure that you don’t get a baffle strike on the first round or the 5000’th round. Nothing quite like holding a $200 tax stamped $800 paper weight in your hand for the lack of $100 in one time insurance. Tolerances stack and if they stack against you it will end badly. It has been a long time since I did the math but I want to say 0.002" out of concentricity from bore to threads would net a baffle or can strike with a 7" can with only a little wiggle room for heat droop. Since you have a SA Saint you may want to call them up and ask if teir tube is “suppressor certified” if the knuckle head on the phone says “You can certainly screw a suppressor with the proper threads on…” ask for a supervisor or tech and let them quote you page and verse about concentricity of the bore to the threading on the muzzle. I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked you to send it back for a check, and I would.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

@bmurphy315 I’m currently in tax-stamp limbo on my first suppressor purchase. I decided to go with a SilencerCo Hybrid 46. It isn’t a cheap solution or the best solution for everyone. I just didn’t want to deal with more than one tax stamp. The Hybrid is a BIG can. 7.8" long with a 1.57" diameter. You can use it on rifles, subguns and pistols. The only thing you wouldn’t want to use it on is a .22 LR. The Hybrid follows a Legos concept. Once you purchase the base suppressor you have to buy more stuff for each platform you use it on.

Once I purchased the can I started getting my firearms prepped. I decided to go with the ASR quick-attach mount for my rifles. I bought the ASR-B mount that screws into the backside of the can. I installed 1/2"x28 ASR ready muzzle brakes on my 5.56s and 5/8"x24 brakes on my .308s. Shimming is required to time the muzzle brake. It wasn’t that big of a deal. I also bought a 1/2"x28 pistol piston for a Glock-17. I installed a threaded barrel on the Glock. Might do the same for one of my 1911’s.

2 Likes

@ScottH Mine isn’t the victor but it is a 5.56. It was the very first Saint that came out before they released all the different variants

2 Likes

@Jeff-A1 I am a big fan of SilencerCo and I really like the saker because it’s not a super large can. I’ve been really leaning towards that or the Q Trash Panda.

2 Likes

It is my understanding all 556/223 barrels are 1/2x28.

more data

2 Likes

I went with YHM, because their muzzle devices are affordable, and their 30 cal and 556 cans share the same muzzle devices.

1 Like

Hopefully not too off-topic… Is the tax stamp and approval time the same for an AR with an integral suppressor?

1 Like

Yes, it’s not specific, just the appropriate tax stamp and they all go through the same process where they finally land at the FBI for a background check.

1 Like

Go to Silencershop.com they have lots of cans and information to make an educated decision on the purchase, or not. You can watch vids on most of the suppressors they sell and the customer service is top notch. Other than an extensive wait it’s fairly painless. They will even help you file the paperwork and keep you in the loop as to where you are in the process. On the downside, every fed agency knows you have it and crossing state lines without their blessing is a large no no. Range time is a lot quieter and that is a win. According to an acquaintance of mine.

2 Likes

I have ordered a silencer for my .45 through the silencer shop and it is made for my AR45 Banshee. Looking forward to saving on my hearing even with hearing protection. If I have to use it for home defense it will save my hearing too!

1 Like

Good idea brother @Todd30 and I agree it will save your hearing.

1 Like