Suppressor help

I’m trying to find a suppressor that is compatible with my air 15 rifle and my springfeld XDM elite.

I am aware of the process when it comes to the tax stamp And the wait.

I’m totally unaware when it comes to brands and models of suppressors.

3 Likes

Rifles and pistols use different suppressors, is the shrot answer.

You’ll probably want to pick which one you want the suppressor for the most and shop that one first.

Personally I recommend the rifle suppressor first. It is much more practical and convenient to have a suppressor on the front of a rifle than it is a pistol, especially when it comes to using a sling vs using a holster.

If all you want it for is fun at the range where you set the gun on a bench or table after use to cool before taking it off, disregard the above.

I would start your search at comparing Dead Air to Surefire. Or maybe YHM. Or SilencerCo.

And there are others that are good too.

Also a good place to start
https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/5-56mm-rifle.html

My favorite, though I only have experience with a couple, is my Surefire SOCOM 556 RC2. I have it on an 11.5".

General rule of thumb: AR15 in 5.56 with a barrel under 12.5" use a full size suppressor. Barrel over 12.5" use a mini. So like a Surefire SOCOM 5.56 MINI2 for example if it’s a 16"

3 Likes

I’m getting my first suppressor soon myself, @Roberto!

Few questions that I have to best help you. What caliber is your AR-15, what length is the barrel, and what is your budget?

4 Likes

I have a Eagle Arms Ar15 16" 5.56/.223

My budget is roughly $500

4 Likes

Awesome! I’m in the same boat, especially with the budget. Remember that there will be an additional $200 tax stamp.

From my research, I’ve decided to go with the Yankee Hill Resonator K. You can get it for 5.56 or you can get a .30 cal suppressor. It’s right at that $500 mark and I believe it to be the best bang for your buck. A lot of people who I know that have multiple suppressors say that Yankee hill is like the Holosun of Suppressors. They are of great quality but more affordable than some of the others.

I’m going with the .30 cal because then I will be able to swap it onto a 300 blackout, which I am planning on building this year. May be worth considering if you think you’d ever get a .30 cal firearm that you would want to suppress.

Here is the link to it on Silencer Shop: https://www.silencershop.com/yhm-resonator-k.html

4 Likes

I highly recommend purchasing your first suppressor through SilencerShop as well! I know the process seems incredibly overwhelming and intimidating but with silencer shop they really do make it extremely simple! I also got a Resonator K last February, unfortunately I am still waiting for my tax stamp but hopefully it will be any day now. Also now is a great time to get one since eForms are now live so in theory the process should be a lot faster! I am looking at getting a Deadair Sandman S soon as well!

4 Likes

How long have you been waiting?

I have one that’s been in jail since March

2 Likes

I bought my suppressor at the end of February last year and they cashed the check for the tax stamp in March so I am at about 10-11 months of waiting at this point unfortunately! From what most folks are saying with wait times it seems like we should both be getting the call any day now hopefully!

3 Likes

I do have another question do I have to get specific 9mm ammo?

1 Like

If the model you bought can not be disassembled, you might want to avoid lead bullets.
147 grain ammunition is subsonic, and better suited for suppressing.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you have started the process yet, but if you haven’t, consider buying it with a “single item NFA trust”. Silencer shop helped us with one. If you want to pass it on to a relative or friend later, you add their name to the trust and then legally transfer it without having to do a new tax stamp. Naturally, first check local, state and federal laws. Silencer shop is a big help with the process and are more knowledgeable than the big box stores.

2 Likes

Silencer Shop is the way

1 Like

I heard that if you use the 300 blackout suppressor on your 5,56 and it works the best! Any info on this?

1 Like

I’m not sure there is such a thing as a “300 blackout suppressor”. There are .30 suppressors that can be used with a variety (how much variety depends) including with 300 blackout. Typically a caliber specific suppressor is best, IE, shooting 5.56 through a .30, all else equal comparing similar products barrel lengths etc, the 5.56 suppressor will be quieter shooting 5.56 than the .30 suppressor shooting 5.56…even though the 5.56 suppressor will be lighter.

However, some people report that, perceptively, the .30 suppressor is ‘easier on the ears’, even if a bit louder, in a case like that, because the pitch is perceived to be lower. Plenty of people use one suppressor for both .300 blackout and 5.56 (and maybe .308 or other cartridges as well). Which of course has to be a .30 suppressor

But if you want the most sound reduction per ounce of suppressor, you want one that is made for that specific caliber…the wider opening (say, a .30 can shooting 5.56) lets more gas/noise out. So for dedicated 5.56, you probably want a 5.56 silencer

2 Likes

Saw this thread, reminded me i still have some paperwork to do on mine…

My first will be a 22lr can rated belt fed up to 5.7x28, the Oculus 22 modular suppressor from Rugged…

1 Like

I’m not up on this stuff but doesn’t the amo have to be in the subsonic category to work :question:

1 Like

Does not have to be subsonic but it definitely helps with noise suppression as your projectile it not breaking the sound barrier…

5 Likes

Thanks Mr. Orpackrat >> Hmmm , I’ve been called a pack rat too. Every time my Son is looking for something he says “ this is like going to Home Depo “ He got his own house but he still helps himself to food also and, I tell him thanks for shopping at Stop and shop.

3 Likes

No.

A typical 5.56 rifle is 165+ dB with significant muzzle blast/flash/concussion, but a suppressor can bring that down to 140 or so dB pretty easily, which is a couple orders of magnitude difference.Like, 1/4 as loud by perception (every 10 dB is a doubling/halving) with significantly reduced blast/flash/concussion. It’s a huge difference especially if you compare vs a brake.

But it’s still loud and you still shouldn’t choose to shoot it without hearing protection if you want to avoid all possible hearing damage.

You can actually get Hollywood-quiet with some cartridges if you use sub sonics though. A bolt action .22lr with a good silencer shooting 40gr subs can be quiet like in the movies. So can a semi auto (the bolt isn’t super quiet usually, but is a whisper compared to muzzle report) shooting subs, like a 300 blackout with subsonics (which isn’t much different from a .45 ACP at that point), or a .45 ACP or the right 9mm with subsonic 147-150ish grain.

3 Likes

Federal makes some nice syntech 9mm 150gr thats subsonic.

Im hoping to have a Hollywood type rifle, need to have the barrel threaded, found an old JC Higgins 101.16 which is a tube fed .22lr/short that operates as both a semi-auto and bolt action.

Paired with a nice subsonic, it should work well.

2 Likes