Suppressor Yay or Nay?

I have a 10.5" AR in 5.56 that’s my main home defense weapon. Because it’s loud I’m really wanting a suppressor, but whenever I do the conversation about having a registered firearm comes up although with recent legislation it may not matter.

I’ve heard different debates about having one and not having one. On one hand there’s the, let the neighbors hear and call the police argument, which I get. There’s also they, you don’t want the ATF to have you on their registry and they can come snoop around your gun cabinet anytime they want to. The pro argument is that it’s going to be loud as fun inside and I don’t want to damage my kid’s, wife’s, or my hearing. I’ve also been told that if you did a transfer with an FFL, they already know anyway.

I’m curious what kind of feedback people have, fire away.

I have my CCW permit. When I submitted my paperwork, I also shared lots and lots of personal information, provided my fingerprints, and gave permission to review my medical records to prove that I haven’t been under treatment for any dangerous psychological condition.

I don’t know that providing the additional info to get a tax stamp for a suppressor would give them much more than they already have.

4 Likes

#1 I don’t want to file the paper work

#2 I’m okay with a loud self defense rifle. John Lovell explained his stance on this in a Colion Noire podcast I thought was really interesting. He talked about how he has fired rifles indoors with no ear pro in real combat and he experienced no issues during the fight (he wasn’t saying you don’t need to protect your ears, he was saying in a fight your adrenaline going, the noise won’t matter).

I think they would be a cool toy to have.

1 Like

Yeah I read somewhere that basically when you file the FFL paperwork that the state police get a copy. So there is a list somewhere, now the ATF may not have direct access but they can probably get it.

I listened to him say that as well and thought it was interesting. I guess it’s something about that fight or flight situation and your body adapting to high stress situations.

1 Like

Auditory exclusion is a real thing. It seems well documented that under stressful situations it can, at least on some occasions (maybe most?), stop you from experiencing the short term affects of loud noises such as temporary hearing loss and ringing. What I have not seen are any real studies showing if it actually protects you from potential long term damage.

The Supreme Court was set to take a case a couple years ago that could have removed suppressors from the NFA. Unfortunately the Trump led justice department helped convince them not to hear the case. Without that NFA requirement suppressors would be plentiful and a lot cheaper. Not just because of the $200 tax stamp savings. Requiring needless fees and paperwork to stop a threat that does not exist is costing countless people to needlessly suffer. Can people with firearm related hearing loss sue politicians for pain and suffering?

3 Likes

I would definitely have one if not for the stamp.

I think it’s a misunderstanding too, “silenced” guns are still loud. They’re just not as loud. I really want a silenced 22 rifle like the integrally suppressed M&P, but I don’t want to get the stamp.

3 Likes