George245

Had a simple question that just got bigger. I’ve been reading and watching info on suppressors. Not one mention about cleaning one ! Don’t they get incredibly fouled after a practice session?
Then, I think they are not legal in Illinois ? Wouldn’t one be beneficial on a home defense arm? Wouldn’t a 70+ yr. old defender be completely deaf after a couple of rounds fired in the hallway or bathroom without ear protection?

3 Likes

Having shot a firearm in an enclosed space, in a house and car. On a hook next to my headboard I have ear pro. Regular stuff your ear type and electronic.

I would highly suggest it as a course of action. If you have not had the experience of firing rounds off in an enclosed space. Trust me, it hurts.

4 Likes

Absolutely! While it is not my intent to endorse any particular brand, I am asking that you consider this information as a process, which may differ between brands. Otherwise, discharging a gun in a hallway without one would definitely contribute to some ring tones, lol. It is the seemingly little things that threatens us, isn’t it, that can make a whole world of difference? Imma seriously consider going to git me one now…

Check out this link: SureFire Suppressor Cleaning and Maintenance Tips | SureFire News

4 Likes

Before buying any suppressor make sure you thoroughly understand how to clean it, and how often.

7 Likes

John Lovell over on the Warrior Poet Society, did a video for his channel about using a suppressor vs not using one. His thought process is similar to mine. If I am being home invaded I want all my neighbors to hear and know there is fire arms being discharged in my home. Hopefully they get the Police :police_car::rotating_light: coming my way sooner than I can. Until I know the scene is safe as far as the invader(s), I won’t have the time to call. Hopefully, my wife is calling while I am defending our home, but until it happens I won’t know if she does as we have trained.

That’s why ear pro is so close to me in my home.

YMMV

3 Likes

Stick an ear plug in one ear. Wont be completely deaf. LOL

While discharging a firearm inside with a suppressor will still make your bells ring, it’s a lot better than the alternative. Especially if your muzzle device is a brake.

2 Likes

I guess I could hold a flash light and put a finger in my weak-side ear. Maybe I’ll practice that !

2 Likes

Yep for sure

Blast with the flash

The flash isn’t as bad as the concussive blast for me personally. I have a primary arms m4-72 on one of my guns. It is the harshest for me of all I’ve tried in terms of gas and angle of blast, but it’s incredibly effective.

Thats for sure I agree on that