Supporting Law Enforcement

Welcome to the family brother @Timothy3483 and you are blessed to be here.

Welcome to the family brother @Owen4 and you are in the right place at the right time.

If you need a free gun lock: https://projectchildsafe.org/

Not directed at you @techs just for anyone that might need one.

3 Likes

I used to wear the uniform and a badge. Carried a gun and enforced both Federal and County/State laws.

But, I will not blindly endorse the entire rank and file of Police Officers or blindly “back the blue”.

Why? Take a good look at this toolbag. He sold citizens information to an undercover FBI agent for kickbacks.

This clown provided sensitive police information, including vehicle registration data from the restricted database Michigan Law Enforcement Information Network, or LEIN, prosecutors alleged. For money, what else would he be willing to do.

Would you trust this jack-wagon to conduct a “welfare check?” Would you trust this clown with your life or the lives of your loved ones? Cops on the take are worse than criminals in my professionally retired opinion. And yes, there are bad seeds in every profession.

Stay safe out there and keep an open mind.

7 Likes

Our county has the smallest population in Texas that shares a border with a major city, Austin. 11k population, our town (Johnson City)population, 2,000. There is only one other giant town (Blanco) 2,100.
So 4k of the 11k live in the 2 towns, the rest of us are all rural.

There are were very few Beto signs in this county.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Could you imagine if the electoral college were abolished!

7 Likes

@Frank73… I was a cop back in the mid 70’s… and I have NEVER met another cop who says what you say. I completely agree with you and have been vilified on most sites I belong to INCLUDING this site. I have a friend who is a capt on my local dept. He is PIO and IA. He and I a have heated discussions about crooked cops who need to go-- even on his department. But he ALWAYS has a reason to clear them of wrong doing. I am NOT a cop hater, I am a cop critic… If an officer does wrong he/she must be disciplined. If an officer breaks the law, he/she must be fired (not allowed to resign/retire) and charged or the trust level will continue to decline to a point of no return.

3 Likes

I’m not a “cop hater” either. But I have witnessed some criminals who wear badges. At the end of the day, be ye garbage man, police officer or plumber can you look yourself in the mirror?

As a retiree, it truly is about the Man in the mirror and the Lord above. And both know the truth about the one looking into the mirror.

We have a lot of “well meaning” members here who want to do what is right and good by supporting law enforcement. But they fail to take heed to the word of those who worked “the job”. They get all pissy and want to inundate the thread with word salad and tell us just what they would do.

But in the end (in the immortal words of Tommy Boy), I would say this: "You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s ass, but wouldn’t you rather take the butcher’s word for it?"

I don’t care anymore. I’ve been there and done that and I’m retired. I’m not clearing rooms or dealing with thugs anymore. I’m more concerned with my golf game because I earned this.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

There is no “personal liability insurance” for cops. And in businesses where personal insurance is required (like medicine and law), it is waaayyyy beyond what somebody could buy on a typical cop salary.

Do you understand what qualified immunity means? Qualified immunity protects a government official from lawsuits alleging that the official violated a plaintiff’s rights, only allowing suits where officials violated a “clearly established” statutory or constitutional right. I’m fine with that. No cop can expect to know every possible permutation of constitutional or statutory law - they get 15-25 weeks of training (and I didn’t learn all that stuff even in 3 years of law school!).

We typically don’t see “bad cops” getting sued. Most often, ordinary good cops who made a difficult decision that didn’t work out well. If we allowed all of them to be sued (without qualified immunity), the whole police department would be in court every day, and the cities would go bankrupt paying the legal bills. The only ones who would win would be the lawyers.

5 Likes

Gee.

I carried personal liability insurance for years. When I worked for the USDOJ, that was always a standard question. "

“Do you Carry PL insurance?”

Stay safe out there.

3 Likes

I will attempt to respond to your comment, first, yes, there is liability insurance for everything.

I am fully aware of what qualified immunity is SUPPOSED to be, but way too may officers use it as an excuse to not know the law they are supposedly enforcing. They knowingly use it to get away with their offenses… I’ve PERSONALLY heard many cops say that’s OK, I can claim qualified immunity. There are police officers who actually don’t know peoples Constitutional Rights about IDing, trespass laws, photography laws, and individuals free press right. There are officers out there who don’t know traffic laws as it pertains to passengers and officers who don’t know about RAS or probable cause and the list could go on and on. If they don’t know then they shouldn’t try bullying and intimidating people with their ignorance.

Bad cops are protected by police unions and, sadly, other officers.

I am all for supporting hard working officers, I’m all for getting rid of bad cops.

2 Likes

I think how my part of the world views LEO’s can be summed up in a short story.

I was sitting at a stoplight, in a Blue Ford truck that says 357 CAL on the plates. Next to me, was a newer Mustang, also in Blue, who’s plate read BKDABLU.

6 Likes

This is the firm that I used when I was a Federal Officer.

Their attorneys represented me twice when I was sued during the performance of my official duties. Neither case required me to appear once in court. Both suits were found to be frivolous.

6 Likes

I’m always amused at you people who assume I have not been involved “in any aspect of policing”. You must think that anyone who dares disagree with you speaks out of ignorance.

Well, Howard, I’ll indulge your ignorance and judgment.

When I got out of the Marine Corps in 1975 I went to college majoring in Police Science-- a 2 year course. Soon after finishing that course of study I was offered a cop job, which I accepted. When I was busy “not being involved in any aspect of policing” I had a 6 shot revolver with 6 extra rounds, no body armor, no tazer, no pepper spray, If I left the cruiser-no radio. I had no computer, nor the data bases that gave me heads up on the folks I was making contact with. I was held to a more severe standard than any police officer today.

Now, if you are such a fine example… why don’t you get off your high horse and put on that uniform and badge… I suspect cowardice.

You don’t know crap. As a Marine, you know what an FMF corpsman is. That was me. And you know what a sworn deputy sheriff is - that was me, too. Cowardice is a pretty ugly accusation to make - which takes away any credibility you might have had. Good luck.

3 Likes

WOW!!! FMF corpman… again, I wasn’t FMF, You again make judgments you no nothing about. I was MAW, smart god. You accuse me and that’s OK. As for sworn deputy-- I can believe you are one of those who ALWAYS knew everything about everyone you met. You know, that god chip in your head. I can bet you were one of those who said “anytime a peace officer asks you for ID you MUST give it” and I bet you violated many innocent people’s rights just because of your ego. Bye, Bye!!!

its-getting-hot-in-here

9 Likes

Now you’re just being silly. Or ugly. Not sure how that helps anything.

4 Likes

Thanks. Interesting. In the last couple of hours I did a quick survey of maybe 20 muni, county, and state police officers and nobody had ever heard of such a thing.

I stand enlightened.

4 Likes