South Caroline Reciprocity

I live in a state that does not reciprocate with SC. I am in the process of obtaining the required CCW permits in all SE states which I frequent. I have family living in SC and I would like to carry concealed there.

Am I correct to understand that one has to own property in SC in order to obtain a non-resident CCW? If so, must it be direct ownership or can one be a partial owner in an entity such as an LLC - which owns the property?

I’m new here… Thanks for you help!

Geoffrey24

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Geoffrey24

I don’t have the details for SC, but I’m sure others in the community might have the correct information.

Good luck in getting this all sorted out.

What CCW do you currently hold? I have a VA CCW and it has reciprocity with SC.

3 Likes

Yes, that is correct. Non-residents who own property in the state and military personnel posted in South Carolina may apply for a non-resident permit.

Unfortunately, South Carolina does not accept non-resident permits. So the only way you would be able to carry is if the permit from your state of residency is accepted in South Carolina, or if you meet the requirements to obtain a non-resident South Carolina permit.

4 Likes

Thank you Luddite_Vic

I have DC and non-res MD, neither of which allow reciprocity in SC.

3 Likes

Thanks Tim_D_USCCA

One of SC’s requirements is to own property in SC… must it be direct ownership or can one be a partial owner in an entity such as an LLC - which owns the property?

I ask this because they want a copy of the tax record, which if owned by an entity, would not show proof that I own all or part.

4 Likes

I don’t know about those specifics, to be honest.

I would suggest reaching out to the State Law Enforcement Division directly and see if they know those specifics.

Here is a link to their website: SLED

3 Likes

Thanks Tim

The State Law Enforcement Agency said if the Property Tax Assessor of the County in which such a property sits signs off on the ownership, then they will be ok with it. I suspect the Assessor will require proof of ownership but if any one experienced this situation, any input would be helpful.

4 Likes

Section 23-31-210 - Definitions As used in this article: (1) “Resident” means an individual who is present in South Carolina with the intention of making a permanent home in South Carolina or military personnel on permanent change of station orders.

(1) “Resident” means an individual who is present in South Carolina with the intention of making a permanent home in South Carolina or military personnel on permanent change of station orders.

(2) “Qualified nonresident” means an individual who owns real property in South Carolina, but who resides in another state.

5 Likes

@Geoffrey24 Welcome to the community :us: :us:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that South Carolina recognizes Florida’s non resident permit.

1 Like

Not for me according to the USCCA Reciprocity map. Perhaps due to my state of residence.

1 Like

Not for me they don’t.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Geoffrey24 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like