Sit on your Butt and draw

Today we worked on this scenario:
Walking down the sidewalk when an unprovoked attacker pushes you, you trip and fall on your butt, back against the wall. The attacker reached into his pocket for who knows what.
I carry IWB at 4:30 and draw right handed. So sitting flat on the ground, back against the wall I can draw but not very crisp and clean. The guys that were appendix carriers seemed to have a significantly more difficult time drawing. When we tried shoulder holsters it was a bit easier but none of us carry/train that way so it’s hard to tell if it was any better. Ankle carry seemed pretty sweet, sitting on your butt on the ground puts your hand pretty close to your foot.
Any ways, have any of you folks tried that scenario?

13 Likes

Very realistic scenario!
One has to also consider among other things one’s age and physical condition which add to the challenge of drawing after an unprovoked attack like you described.
Lefty cross draw from appendix seems doable for me but I need more practice.

8 Likes

Thanks for reminding folks that they may have to fight from the ground. Fights and violent encounters often devolve into pushing, punching and wrestling matches, not stand-up confrontations.

Not sure how or where one can practice from the ground. Pretty sure no ranges will allow such a thing.

5 Likes

We go to a private range we have set up on private property in the mountains. Most of the folks, guys and gals, used laser targeting like Mantis. Some of us did live fire but I’ll admit it’s a bit weird. I personally felt like I was slower to draw just because I was being carful with a condition zero firearm.

3 Likes

Mantis is probably the best training aid for this sort of scenario. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m scheduled for hip replacement next Monday, following two knee replacements. Getting up and down from the ground is a comical slow-motion affair at best. Falling (or being pushed down) is another thing altogether. But, I realize it is likely where I will be in the event of a violent confrontation, and I suspect that’s a reality of life for lots of other folks, as well. Getting old ain’t for sissies.

8 Likes

I’ve trained drawing and firing from the ground, and drawing from the ground and firing while getting up and moving. Haven’t specifically done on the ground back against a wall. In that scenario what immediately comes to mind to me is getting away from the wall/getting my head away from the wall, a so far seemingly unarmed attacker, my first thought as I read that part was “gonna get the back of my head smashed into the wall need to move”

Also I was taught two rules to ground fighting. The first rule of ground fighting is don’t go to the ground. The second rule is get up. Not sure if I’d want to stay seated motionless literally back against a wall to draw, vs getting up and moving first. Might depend on ones physical condition or possible injury obtained the leadup to being in that position

7 Likes

I agree, we tell our students and our fighters that aren’t jiu jitsu brown/black belts to Get UP, Get Out of There NOW. The advanced JJ guys know what to do on the ground.

4 Likes

Rule #1 for old men and women, never end up on the ground!
Last time I was on the ground it took me five minutes to get up.

6 Likes

OH I can get up fast but the guy would probably die laughing at the contortions it takes, especially the day after a workout.

6 Likes

It may as well be more helpful to stay on the ground and be more horizontal, draw and fire.

3 Likes

I have not tried it but it is one that will definitely be tested, especially since I carry appendix. Thank you for sharing this. This scenario has never crossed my mind.

3 Likes

I train on the ground, no matter how I get there ( on my own or with help). I have found that if I roll on to my left side I can draw from my King Tuck on my right hip fairly well. I have trained to fire from that position as well. But I find my most accurate hold is on my back with knees up, feet firmly planted, double hand grip aiming between my knees.

I do a lot of blade work too and on the ground or low attack is a pretty common place for me.

Maybe that is just my training partners …

2 Likes

I carry cross-draw. The only difficulty is being pinned on your stomach.

2 Likes

Nice one, I’m going to have to try that one next weekend.

I think my first instinct, if I found myself sitting with my back against a wall for whatever reason, would be to get off the X as quickly as possible by sliding, rolling, crawling or whatever seemed quickest. This way I am not giving the attacker a static target and can get myself into a better position to draw or otherwise respond.

5 Likes

My crossdraw would seem to be OK for this scenario.

4 Likes

First, situation awareness. Draw before contact.
Second, shoulder holster.

2 Likes

Good training scenario.

Try the same but while carrying for cross draw. Even quicker and easier than any ankle holster.

I personally prefer cross draw because it also allows easy access while driving with very little seat belt adjusting required.

For all who prefer other than cross draw but discover it’s benefits they can continue with what they are used to but put their backup firearm into a cross draw holster and you have the best of both worlds.

3 Likes

If I were to carry a second gun, I’d do so where it’s easy to draw with my support hand.

I also carry relatively far forward for just-barely behind the hip so it’s not really an issue to draw while seated, even though not the fastest. Carrying more at 430-500 might be that much harder.

I also still mostly think about using my vehicle to escape most situations in a vehicle vs drawing in place, granted there is always the possibility of being immobilized somwhere.

Lots of variables, lots of choices, pros and cons to all indeed.

1 Like

Many police departments no longer allow ankle carry. If you end up in a scuffle on the ground, it is not uncommon for your pants to hike up presenting your ankle carry piece for easy access to the bad guy. I understand that. I do not know how much better a below the knee rig might be.