Situational Awareness Lesson - In The Corner

So, I jump on the elevator at our condo, when it stopped at the next floor 5-6 people get on. I back into the corner to give them room and to be able to see everything that was going on during the 20-30 second ride. Then I started wondering, could I draw, from 4:00 O’clock, while standing tight in the corner? Later, I got back on the elevator alone, backed into the corner and reached for EDC. It didn’t work, there wasn’t enough room for my arm/elbow to get far enough back to effectively draw. Next time, it’s the middle of the back wall, standing at an angle…

19 Likes

Or, next time take the stairs😉

7 Likes

If you were in the center in the back of the elevator with people in the elevator, could you draw your gun then? or if you were in the left corner, could you draw your gun?

4 Likes

Used to but now they have them so you can get into the stair wells and only get out on the ground floor, we had some homeless guys gain access up the stair wells and walk around checking doors.

5 Likes

Yea, hard to tell, if it were body to body crowded probably not. I was able to draw once I took a slight knife stance with my right hip away from the wall but never while standing in the corners.

4 Likes

Hmmm… never thought of this situation before.
I cross-draw so it might be doable.

5 Likes

AIWB to a low ready?

6 Likes

In service I always carried a 1911 on my left side and I always carry my 45 in a concealed shoulder holster and is easy to draw as i wear snap western shirts and when I draw i hook my left hand between the upper snapsand rip the snaps open while right hand pulls the weapon in the ready position easy from the get go

4 Likes

General thoughts on selecting holster type and position:

1. Do you choose totally based on tradition, coolness factor, or comfort, or do you also consider ease of draw in a variety of situations (like the OP above)?
  2. Do you dry-fire practice draw stroke in a variety of positions? Consider: standing (most common practice), sitting at a table, sitting and seat-belted in a vehicle, laying on your side (both sides), laying on your back, laying on your stomach.

Observations on selected methods:
Small of back (kidney): If you get shoved to the ground landing on your back, will there be a pain point that lengthens your response? Can you draw if someone is on top of you on the ground? (Think Martin sitting on Zimmerman.)
Appendix: Will you train and practice sufficiently to make sure you never muzzle your thigh (femoral artery) or important personal parts on every draw and re-holster?
Shoulder holster: Can you eliminate or minimize muzzling others as you draw and reholster?

Helpful videos:
Ayoob on Concealed Carry Positions
Ayoob on Shoulder Holsters
Wilson & Hackathorn on Holster Selection

9 Likes

Or appendix carry.

2 Likes

IDK it is difficult for me to wrap my head around using my gun in an elevator full of people.

2 Likes

Agreed, I also can’t wrap my head around using my gun in a food court or an elementary school…

5 Likes

Indianapolis mall.

5 Likes

My point is, It can happen anywhere, at the mall, in the class room, in an crowded elevator…

7 Likes

That was a great observation @Mike164. It’s the little things that we do every day and don’t really think about.

8 Likes

@Mike164 This hit home. I go up and down the elevator in my condo building every day. We have some security at the doors going into the building but we all know nothing is perfect. As a woman, I am very aware of the dangers of elevators in general ( or any space one could be held captive). I am waiting for my LTC in the state I moved to 5 months ago! 5 months! after a 10-12 page application and two page typed reason why I “need” to carry. Oy. So I am somewhat defenseless at this time in an elevator. I have Mace and an EDC flashlight but truth be told, I dont always have them on me.

When I do carry, it feels more natural to me to cross draw. in an elevator? IDK. As my mentor taught me, hope is not a good a defense…but I do hope I never have to find out.

5 Likes

Well, we know which 25 states you didn’t move to now.

5 Likes

Personally, I would avoid using defensive spray in an elevator. It will affect you as much as the perp you sprayed. What happens in the box stays in the box! Gel is better, but still risky. Taser may be your best option (the kind you hold - cattle prod style, not one you shoot). Tactical pen would be my next choice.

6 Likes

My advice is always to de escalate. Keep everyone safe. It would depend on the situation but eyes, throated groin come to mind.

4 Likes

Man oh man, what a pain.

3 Likes