Shotgun help, pls?

hello, brand newbie here. just joined yesterday. have a question about my Remington 1100 shotgun that I’m hoping someone can offer ideas.

I broke it down to clean it. now, when I mount the barrel up to the receiver & slide it home, the trigger will not pull, nor (cause the trigger isn’t moving I’m sure) will the hammer fall.
if I dismount the barrel off the receiver, works just fine. action opens & closes without issue, trigger pulls, click, hammer falls - everything is fine. but remount the barrel and something is getting in the way of allowing the trigger or the hammer to move.
anyone have any ideas on this you’d like to share with a noob?
thanks in advance.

1 Like

@Fizbin Any ideas. :thinking:

@John586 Welcome to the community. :+1:

1 Like

Don’t run semiauto shotguns but try google, lotsa of info there

2 Likes

Also just for laughs check the safety

1 Like

Check your manual and make sure the seals are on properly. Not sure what they are called, gas rings? They go on the mag tube, have a rubber o ring. I had a 1100 long ago, and this popped into my mind…

1 Like

I would go with David-65 advice. I’m sure there are some good videos on takedown, cleaning, and reassembly of the 1100. You probably spot where the problem is located.

1 Like

The 1100 uses O-rings, and they do have to be assembled correctly. Check youtube. Also, if the barrel is not on correctly, the bolt will not go into battery, and that will cause what you are describing too. Check the carrier too. If the barrel can go in without the bolt, and the trigger pulls, there is a pointer too.

2 Likes

Hey,
Sorry for reading this late, yes I agree and have my money on: MarkinMT answer. I have an 1187 and 870, the 870 had no click yesterday at Church Gun Club. I just put a new harness on it and the top part of on the extension tube would not let the 870 fully cycle, so the I had the same symptoms with that shotgun.

2 Likes

This is what makes our community great. :+1:

2 Likes

Community = family here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the team @John586!

2 Likes

This is awesome guys! (Assuming, and hoping no hurt feelings if you’re not a guy. I must admit I’ve got a soft spot for them , lol) Thanks for all the great ideas etc. I will give them a try.
Could be a couple days before I can, time is easier to come by on weekends.
Thanks again all!

1 Like

so like several said, @MarkinMT was spot on! with the weekend here, work on hold until Monday, and other things lined up in a queue waiting for someone or something, I dove into this.

the 1100 does use the O-rings Markin called out. being not very experienced, after I cleaned it after our last day on the range, I had reassembled it wrong, out of order.

I had put the piston on 1st closest to the bolt which was wrong.
the piston seal goes on 1st followed by the piston and then the barrel seal.
I also noticed that, when properly assembled, the barrel slid home noticeably easier which added “insurance” or “value” that I had it right this time.

and oh btw - safety was working properly. trigger would pull but no trigger fall.
when safety = on there is no trigger pull.
BUT thanks for that reminder. been there & done that in other areas, just not this time.

thanks again for all the support & welcome to the forum!
have a great weekend all!

2 Likes