Need help. 1911 problem

Ok, I tore down my carry 1911 as I usually do every month to clean and re- polish things like the feed ramp and beaver tail. As I was reassembling I thought everything was good until I had the lower assembled and tried to cock it. The trigger wouldn’t stay engaged and now I can’t get the ambi safety back off.

Ummm in general you want to finish putting the flat spring in and seating the main spring housing before you should expect the trigger mechanism to work. Oh and you may wish to consider a grip screw staking tool to get the grip screw estation’s back where they belong.

Cheers,

Craig6

Craig I had it totally reassembled with the housing, but the hammer would just fly forward. But that’s not the problem right now, the fact I can’t get the ambi safety of again is.

@Brian_J That looks an awful lot like my RIA Standard Rock. So going with that the thumb safety has to be “half way” into the guide rail before it will come out. You need a VERY thin screwdriver or knife to begin prying the left hand side out when it hits the release point. Once the left hand side comes out or at least disengages the right side you have to rotate the right side up and out of the sear pin groove to get it to release so that you can remove it.

On the hammer flying forward. If you put the hammer strut out the hole in the frame as opposed to pushing down on the main spring plunger it will do that.

Cheers,

Craig6

I’m uploading a YouTube video right now to try to show what I’m dealing with

In the last 3 seconds of the video, I saw your sear pin backed out so that you cannot raise the safety, you’re hitting the pin. Make sure the pin is in and flush with the frame. The safety willl only go ON when the hammer is cocked. Push the safety up 1/2 way and lever it apart with the screwdriver.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I’ve tried that, it’s was hard to do one handed on the video. Like I’ve said, I’ve done the take down many times before so I’m well versed in the process. But, it’s just not popping out.

I WIN!!! I got the darn thing off FINALLY. I have the update video uploading on my YouTube channel. :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

2 Likes