Shot timers

I am looking to purchase a shot timer and looking for suggestions on which one to buy.
We are looking for a basic model that has enough bells and whistles, without paying for junk or bells and whistles that we will never use. No need for blue tooth. It will be used at our outdoor home range so little chance of picking up other lanes shots at a public range. Will use in full sunshine. Help.

3 Likes

Competition Electronics

3 Likes

Just spent the last hour looking at their website. Nice. I did not think I wanted Bluetooth, but now I do. Thank you.

3 Likes

I asked the same question some time ago.

I’ve been using CED7000 with success.
But… I barely use it now, because whenever I shoot with my friends we use CEI-4720, which is easier to operate and read the data.

4 Likes

I am using the RangeTech, which is the least expensive i know of. Lots of features, because you control it with an app on your phone or tablet, connecting by bluetooth. The app screen is pretty easy to use, too.
They are a sponsor for Active Self Protection, who reviewed the timer 2 years ago.

I have not tried any others, so no comparison for me, but I do like the RangeTech

3 Likes

Hairy: “But professor, I don’t have a shot timer”
Mad Eye Muddy: “Aye, but you have a phone.”

Down load a free app and see if it’s worth investing the $$$

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

There are quite a few phone apps that you can download to your phone, you can try them out before buying the pro versions. Or you might consider action targets dot com. They sell a few types and brands. Best to you with your search.

2 Likes

Competition Electronics Pocket Pro Shot Timer (midwayusa.com)

This is the one I use. Works just fine.

4 Likes

Belt clip?

1 Like

Yes.,.

1 Like

The downloadable apps are really not that good. In an indoor range they don’t discriminate well from your shots and 4 bays down shots. In an outdoor range they have a hard time picking up the shot. That is just my experience and I tried 3 of the apps.
The Range Tech that was mentioned above is probably the least expensive option, and even though it works from an app on the phone, it has a separate microphone that is better at discriminating. Most of the shot timers are going to be in the 100-150 range.

2 Likes

I have yet to witness someone having a good time and getting consistent/trusthworthy results from a phone app

There is also the issue that having your phone out is dangerous to your phone. Personally unless I’m taking a video (which I try to limit due to this) I keep the phone in my pocket where it won’t get hit with brass, knocked off the table, stepped on, whatever.

Maybe I’m paranoid because I had to replace an entire phone because I put it down on the tabeltop/bench, on top of the edge of a target, then later pulled the target and the phone fell to the ground, landing on the rim of a spent piece of brass, which punch a hole right into it

1 Like

I appreciate all the information! USCCA folks are the best. I spent the money and ordered a ProTimer BT CEI-4720 from their website.
What is the saying … Buy once, cry once.

5 Likes