Shot timer?

To increase speed for draw/aim/fire, I must find a good shot timer.
I’ve looked a little and know they range in price, commensurate with features.

Regardless, thought I’d ask here:

If you use a shot timer in training, what kind is it, and would u mind please explaining your choice?
.tm

Thx All :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Smiddy I thought about getting one years ago as I had used them previously but then I discovered I have a Smartphone and they have apps for that. Some for free.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I had heard those apps weren’t very good. Is that incorrect? I’d sure as hail rather download or buy an app than spend yet more $$$ on shooting items that arent critical :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Smiddy I downloaded the first free one I found with better than 4 stars. “Shot Timer” it gives me shot’s, hit’s (on steel) splits and totals. It works well enough for my purposes.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Is a shot timer useful for dry fire when one has to rack the slide between shots? And there is no bang for the timer to sense? I’ve thought of getting one, but want to see if it would be useful at home.

Welcome to the community @Paul465

There are some shot timers with sensitivity adjustments that should be able to pick up the click of the trigger pull. You would likely want to reset the timer between each shot anyways so racking the slide should not be an issue.

1 Like

That would be a great use for the par time function. Two beeps, with the second beep exactly as far after the first as you like. You could say, for example, have a random start beep, and then X.X seconds later, a second beep. React, draw, sight picture, trigger press, click…did you beat the beep or not? Etc.

My opinion is that, for practical/defense shooting, if you aren’t using a shot timer, ever, at the range, you’re pretty much doing it wrong. It would be like going to the gym and having somebody load the machine/bar for you, without telling you how much weight or resistance there is. If it “feels heavy” you must be doing well, etc…kind of how “feels fast” is.

It’s just too hard to quantify what you’re doing or track progress without knowing target size, distance to target, number of rounds, and TIME. Also for comparing different guns, different rounds, different sighting systems, clothing, holsters, etc.

Your two best friends at the range are your Target and your Shot Timer. They will tell you exactly what happened and exactly how long it took.

1 Like