Shopping for Ammo

WalMart has always been a convenience thing for me, so their stupid decision just means less of my shopping in their stores. Where do you shop for ammo? I use ammoseek both as a website and app. Is there somewhere less expensive for new, good ammo? I don’t do remanufactured, Russian, just good ole new brass, bulk preferred…

2 Likes

It is a very cold day when I will set foot in a WM for anything and has been that way for a long time. Increased crime (ever noticed how crime rates increase around a WM?), plus I just don’t like the place. I gladly pay more somewhere else, and do, regularly.

My main sources of ammo are a farm store, sgammo.com, and luckygunner.com. I buy the most by far from sgammo. I am not sure I have seen their day in day out prices be beat for the stuff I purchase. Luckygunner is usually very close, so I do order from there if what I want is out at sgammo.

4 Likes

Mainly my local gun shop, and Rural King. For any specialty stuff, I drive 40 minutes to Underwood. Yes, I have the luxury of a premium ammo manufacturer being a short drive away.

2 Likes

Pretty much was already stated and if you’re fortunate enough maybe find a gun show in your area and stock up there

2 Likes

Bulk ammo I purchase online (i.e. SGA, Lucky Gunner etc)…specialty stuff and rifle ammo, local gun store. I like when I go in and it’s like “Norm!!!” as I belly up to the counter to drool over their current inventory and chatting it up with the owner and clerks who have been there forever and know their stuff (can’t tell you how many tips I’ve picked up just hanging out there in the gun shop). You can’t get that at Wally World.

I haven’t purchased ammo from Walmart in over a year.

3 Likes

I drive to my local FFL for defense and go to LAX ammo for bulk, not sure how their online pricing is for you to compare, I used to buy from Midway as well on bulk sale ammunition.

2 Likes

Mainly local gun shop or Academy, that’s dependant on what I’m looking for at the time. If I find a good deal online for bulk ammo, then I by online.

2 Likes

Usually AngelFire Ammo (Hi @AngelFire :wave: ) , or the local range or gun store. Online for other specialty things, or at the gun show.

Practice ammo can also go like this… “Hey sweetie… can you load me up some xxx?” especially since the hubby is getting his reloading area set up and teaching our granddaughter how to reload.

Her first efforts:

7 Likes

Local place for some, here when I want to get a few boxes: gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals If you put your zip code in, you can get price per round including shipping.

3 Likes

@Zee I really do need to draw up plans for a couple of woodworkers benches to put out in the downstairs garage. I’ve got the board stock and some ply. I guess that means I need to take a measurement of a progressive station to see where my lever height will be. (I mean seriously, I used to spend weeks as a kid going through the Sears and Monty Wards catalogs pricing out toys like these… seems I ought to use the ‘leet skilz’ I polished up back then to do it all fer-real today.)
'Sides, everyone needs a few jars of pistol and rifle powder right? …brass, bullets, primers, polishing compound, vibrator, ultrasonic bath, puncher, primer tool, rimmer, powder scale, powder measure, SAAMI round gauges, bullet extractor, three or four loading manuals. Oh! Fire retardant Powder safes

…noise suppression tunnel, hardened, and bermed pistol backstop,…
…tunnel 12-foot height, reinforced and at 45 degrees down angle long enough to provide a 1000 yard rifle range…

(Oh, and have to make the house bigger to support all the folks from the PD and Fire Departments and their kids when they want to come over and play too.)

/edit: may have to really calculate the required ballistic height for that tunnel.

3 Likes

@CHRIS4… are you and my hubby related? :rofl: I’m pretty sure you must be. :joy:

Well, get crackin’ man! Time’s a-wastin’!

1 Like

Ya know, come to think about it, you’re right lol. Thanks to you it just dawned on me lol. But yes, it totally makes sense now lol

2 Likes

Consider targetsportsusa.com

5 Likes

I always look for sales and deals. I tend to look at as many sites I can find but targetsportsusa.com has been the best prices for me so far.

4 Likes

I will add another vote for target sport, I have always had good service as well as good prices from them.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked close yet, but Smoky Mountain Knife Works is carrying some ammo now. They’re online as SMKW. Somebody do a report and let’s compare thoughts. I have to say that I admire smkw for their quality stand. One of the members of the smkw FB group called out for prayer for his son, and the company supported us and stood with us as we rallied. That got me hooked on a company my son and I already liked a lot. I’ll be ordering even if they don’t have the best prices. And no, I am not affiliated in any way with smkw, but I have been known to dedicate a day of my Gatlinburg vacation to visiting them.
Sorry I ran on. When someone stands for something good, I want to crow.

2 Likes

Always free shipping at Target sports USA on 1000 round cases too!

4 Likes

I’ve been getting some quality ammunition from Sportsman guide, granted it’s mail order but I always order enough so that I have plenty for the range while waiting for my next shipment.

1 Like

I will admit I usually watch Walmart for sales and pay 16 to 17 cents for 9mm, just for convenience. Of course that is no longer an option.

I just got a coupon from Basspro.com for 16 cents, Winchester white box, 500 rounds/box. It will be a little less for me because I use their credit card for points. Otherwise their prices aren’t that competitive.

1 Like

Just my personal experience with SMKW. I purchase some knives from online dealers (usually sponsors of another forum). Many of them have a comments section in their “cart” that allows for customers to request inspection of the products for defects or w/e before shipping. There was no such section for SMKW, so I called in to personally request they inspect a knife for certain defects before shipping it out (approximately a $300 knife IIRC).

I’ve done this with some other dealers and even received a call back when a possible defect was detected to verify. I believe this is one reason I haven’t had any issues with some brands I’ve purchased over the years that others complain about. When I called into SMKW, the representative said that they were too busy to offer that service. Therefore, I was too busy to purchase from them and worry about a possible return. That being said, I am sure they are a well meaning, reputable establishment.

1 Like