Where to find cheap training ammunition?

Where can I find inexpensive training ammunition that is still not bad for my guns? Can it be purchased online or must I find a local dealer? BTW, I live in Norther Virginia.

1 Like

I’ve been really happy with the folks at angelfire

We shoot their 9mm, 40 and 45 in a flock of Glocks, as well as 9mm in Ruger and Canik handguns. We’ve just ordered rifle rounds as well. My hubby is a long time competitor and reloaded and he likes their stuff too.

Another thread with info on them here;

4 Likes

Ammo is heavy, so shipping can be expensive or an issue. I prefer to find a local place for that reason. Luckily, I found a local gun store that has a great price on 1,000 rounds of 9mm. I’d start on the phone calling local places and expand from there. I’ve bought from MidwayUSA before. There are deals to be had.

3 Likes

Make sure you end your training sessions with the ammo you carry every day. The differences in recoil, noise, and flash can be significant and not expecting those differences can make the difference of hitting your target or surviving. I usually shop locally to support the businesses around me. I want to be able to get ammo when I need it and not have a state or local government cut my access off by making online purchasing illegal.

3 Likes

Aside from the single box purchase at any number of local stores, I order in bulk from www.luckygunner.com. I been ordering from them for several years. Their prices are competitive and their customer service is outstanding.

3 Likes

Welcome @Bret1 thank you for adding another option to the list!

1 Like

If you go with Fiocchi or Sellier&Bellot you won’t have any firing issues at all.
Both are $0.15 - $0.16 per round and that’s the less expensive you can find. (I’m assuming you are looking for 9MM)
Shipping is $22, and you need send them copy of State ID and/or “whatever is required in your State” before first purchase.

2 Likes

Fenixammo.com as well

They’re out of Novi, Michigan.

2 Likes

Try targetsportsusa.com $169 1000 rounds Blazer Brass 9mm 124gr free shipping

3 Likes

Academy.com . Academy Sports will ship for free orders over 25 dollars .It doesn’t take long to spend 25 on ammo.

1 Like

They are out of Stillwater, OK and only sale online.

2 Likes

You may also want to check out. https://www.outdoorlimited.com/.

Generally I can find the same ammo a few cents cheaper with them than anywhere else online. I actually live less than 30 minutes from them but unfortunately they only do online sales.

1 Like

Sgammo. They have a great feature for shipping costs by weight. They let you know how much more you can add without adding more shipping. They’re usually significantly cheaper than places like Lucky Gunner.

1 Like

Bulk Ammo
Example: Magtech 9mm 115gr; $169 for 1000rds (Brass)

Ammunition Store
Example: Blazer 9mm 115gr; $162 for 1000rds (Brass)

1 Like

You can also check ammoseek.com to price shop a wide variety of ammo dealers.

2 Likes

Blazer in either weight is $157.80 for 1000 at SG Ammo.

2 Likes

Thanks Brad, unfortunately they do not ship to Washington DC.

The Great American Companies Selway Armory, Bulk Ammo, and the Ammunition Store do ship to DC, because I reasoned with them to change their policies, when others companies (SG Ammo) would not. However, SG Ammo has the best prices hands down!

1 Like

I’m in Northern VA as well. I’m another happy sgammo.com customer, I’ve had bulk delivered to my door without problems. I’ve also used luckygunner.com and midwayusa.com and brownells.com on various occasions if the price is right, but sgammo is my “go to”. Consistent pricing, reasonable shipping, good reputation.

If you want to shop locally at an LGS, depending on where you live there’s Virginia Arms (Manassas, LGS only), Elite Shooting (Manassas, LGS & range), and BlueRidge Arsenal (Fairfax, LGS & range). I think I’m forgetting one or two more. Like all things at an LGS, some prices will be competitive and some won’t.

What type of ammo are you specifically looking for? handgun, rifle?

2 Likes

Harvey, I use 9mm exclusively and just need training ammo that’s good enough to be realistic but not expensive or too cheap to hurt my guns.

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips! I have enough to go on now.

2 Likes