shooting with bifocals

As you read in these messages many people are using Standard size pistols and iron sights, that is the best way.

Red dots are hard to use on sub compact or even compacts. When we use our Bi Focals it has its
benefits, but a limited distances; 1 foot to read small print.

I have had Cataract eye surgry to replace my lenses in each eye. I became blind at one time and badly
near sighted. Now I am far sighted, but I have to wear glasses with a + 2.50 Bi focal lense. I see in the
distance of 20/20, but I have to have those Bi focals to read a letter or magazine; small print.

I have to carry a full size pistol, at least 4.0" barrel and use iron sights and clear the 2 foot distance to clear my eyes. Your extended reach of your arms give better distance and I am clear eye sight.

15 years of practice, but please keep looking, there are glass wear out there to meet our need to see.

2 Likes

I’d like to see where the research for this claim came from.

I’ve been using a Holosun HS507C X2 on my Walther PDP compact (4" barrel), a Romeo01 Pro on a Sig P320 XCompact (subcompact) and both a Romeo zero and an HE507k-gr on Sig P365 X pistols (subcompacts). None of these are hard to use, when you actually learn how to use Red Dot Sights (RDS).

I switched to RDS specifically because iron sights were completely blurry once my eyesight started to go. The RDS paradigm is completely different than iron sights and using sight focus rather than target focus is usually what makes things difficult when using an RDS. That is a training problem, not a tool problem. As an old dog I needed to be willing to learn new tricks. It took a bit of time and actual practice to learn how to use the RDS, but I’ll never go back to iron sights except as backup.

With 20/20 long distance vision as you mention it would make even more sense to use RDS. RDS are target focus, you do not have to try to focus on the dot. If you want to focus on the dot you are making it more difficult, and taking away the main advantage of RDS.

3 Likes

I too use the SSP eyewear for my range time, they work well for my 75-year-old eyes. As a retired LEO firearms instructor, I had a few old timers who would wear their bifocals upside down when they qualified.

2 Likes

This story I wrote has been condemn and you
Give all your information given to prove your point about your firearm and equipment.

I wrote that I have Eye Surgery and that causes
difficulties in using any Red Dot or any other
equipment. I only have distance of 20/20 vision
and I must get past that crazy 2’ reach forward to
pass my Bifocals Sight, which it is blurry without
glasses. That surgery is called Cataract Surgery and
It is not magic, just changes your eye sight and
challenges you every time you pick up a firearm and
I use my iron sights and at least a 4” length or longer
barrel and closer I get to Electronic Devices to see
makes it close to impossible to see clear. That is
15+ years of good sight, works well and I adjust
Everyday.

It is not your firearms, equipment, or your
educational background, it is not your age. Those
Iron sights and length of arms reach can not be changed and you have to make improvements, not give up.

I am very pleased that you are and instructor and help others, please continue.

3 Likes

Actually, that’s called monovision, forgot my sister uses that for her normal everyday contacts. One side farsighted and the other nearsighted. She is used to it cause she has used that her whole life. I just checked with her and she said she can see the sights and the target perfectly. Hmm. I might have to try this.

3 Likes

I hope you did not take my question as a personal “attack” on you. That was not the intent and the furthest from my mind. If I offended, I apologize. That was never my intention.

I see now that you are speaking about YOUR personal experience in using the RDS, and the difficulty you encountered. Not necessarily of RDS in general.

The reason I asked is because I often see similar claims, and they are usually based on second hand experience, or faulty information.

I can say that my experience differs. I wear trifocals (progressive lenses), and I encountered that no matter how I tried, I could never get a clear sight alignment/picture because focusing on the front sight post was impossible. I even had problems with focusing to read the instrument panel when I was driving, the glasses fixed that, but could not fix the iron sights issue. The front sight was always a blur. That is the main reason I decided to try out the RDS.

At the beginning I had the same issue, the dot looked like a starburst, was difficult to find, and was slower for targeting. So I started to look for information about it, and watched a ton of videos. What I found was that I was doing it wrong. When you have a red/green dot, you DO NOT focus on the dot at all. You place your eye sight focus on the target, and then super impose the dot peripherally.

With both eyes open, go ahead and point to a light switch within your view. Now focus on the light switch only. Can you still see your finger pointing (hovering within view) at the switch? It should look like your finger “vanishes”, but you can still see it. That is exactly how the RDS works, but because it is a bright light, it does not vanish. Whatever the dot is on top of is where the bullet will land (after you zero the sight of course). If you catch yourself focusing on the dot you will get that starburst effect again. RDS also “requires” that you keep both eyes open. Particularly when you are getting used to how they work. That is the biggest problem when coming from an iron sight focus. That is the reason it requires practice, practice, practice.

To train myself to remain target focused, I put a piece of tape on the sight in order to block my view through the sight window, but not to obstruct the side with the dot. That forces your sight to focus on the target, because if you focus on the dot you will only see the dot and an occluded view. If that happens, focus on the target again. I used dry fire for about two weeks, until finding the dot was easy, and I remained target focused.

I hope you are able to find a workable solution to your sight issues. I know that for me the RDS was the only way that I could keep enjoying shooting. Without it, the iron sight issues just made shooting very unenjoyable and I would probably have stopped doing it altogether.

3 Likes

Please never stop doing what you do best. Everyone is different and one day we will find away to be better.

Our eyes are made to be their best and doctors can
only do their best to correct and help to restore
people’s eye sight when age or injuries happen to
them.

There are some glasses made today to correct our
Eye Sight; one day.

You are the best.

3 Likes

Age has it’s disadvantages! I am 74 years old and, a red dot is the way to go. I can hold a 4" group at 25 yards with a red dot. With out it no way.

3 Likes

Welcome back around @Charles486 . I feel the exact same way.

3 Likes

Tried the following: reverse bifocals, trifocals with top and bottom the same, special focal point at the distance of the front sight, lasers, red dot. My P320 has the Romeo and it is near perfect. Large enough to facilitate quickly finding the scene. Also have a Leopold on a M&P, the one that replaces the rear sight. It is too small of a window to be effective in a crisis, I believe. Bottom line, I’m more comfortable with the laser. That allows use of the iron sights in conjunction so you’re always evaluating yourself. Just sayin’. Also, being a revolver nut the only option is laser grips. Downside: not worth anything in bright daylight so have to rely on the iron sights or revert to the P320 with red dot.

3 Likes

wow, thanks for the information. Lots of option. I will have to take a look at them in depth. My concern is a self defense situation. at 5-7 yards i am very " capable" of getting hits on target. thanks again for the amazing input and stay safe.

3 Likes

I hope people take the time to read the replies. Lots of good information. As a person gets older it’s good that there are options.

3 Likes

Red dot has been a great asset for myself. Im 63 using bifocals and invisible line lenses also. I have to admit, had the red dot been available when i was much younger, i would’ve probably found a differwnt career path with such companies as Venom, Sig Saur, etc. in the oltics department.

2 Likes

Hi John208.

I use a Primary Arms 1x Cyclops on my AR. It has an etched reticle. I have astigmatism in both eyes. A red dot just blurs. You can buy higher power if you would like. I put a 3x magnifier on my AR when I’m zeroing in my optic. But for self defense, and plinking, the 1x is great.

As for my eye glasses, I’ve been wearing progressive lenses for years. They are almost like your natural eyes. BUT you will need their most expensive brand. I believe that is Acuvue. The reason I say this is the lenses MUST have the wider field of vision. The lower cost brands have a narrower narrower field of vision. And your vision blurs out to the sides. With the Acuvue progressive lens, you don’t have blurring.

2 Likes

Your regular optometrist can write a prescription for any kind of glass you want. You can get one that will have a lens that makes your sights sharp and clear on top so you don’t have to tilt your head way back. You can have a set of glasses with your normal script in the non-dominant eye and a special “shooting” lens in your dominant eye. Talk to your optometrist about your problem and see what he suggests. If he insists he can’t do anything, see someone else who is pro-gun and not a sob sister. If you have a shooting range or gun club you belong to, ask about a member optometrist and get an appointment with that person. Many of us more mature shooters have special glasses we wear just on the shooting range.

6 Likes

Spent 2 years in Katterbach myself. HHC 1/37 Armor ‘77-‘79.

4 Likes

I was in Pirmasens 77-79.

1 Like