Prescription Shooting Eyeglasses

I’m looking to purchase my first pair of prescription shooting glasses and wondering what brands folks have had good experiences with.

Also, do your prescription shooting glasses include bifocal or progressive lens. If so, do you like them or not, and why.

If you use, or have used, inserts I would like to know your experiences with them as well.

1 Like

I have a set of Progressive lenses in my shooting glasses. It made it very difficult to shoot.

1 Like

@NICHOLAS_C Welcome to the community. Good question, something that affects us all.
I refuse to admit I might need bifocals, I can shoot without glasses out to 30ft. I need them after that . If I am shooting with a scope I don’t need them at all. :wink:

1 Like

@NICHOLAS_C - I’d like to know what you consider prescription “shooting glasses.” I wear my glasses all the time. If I were to use special glasses just for shooting, that might impact my ability to hit a target when I really need to…off the range.

2 Likes

I got my first “real” glasses this year, I tried the progressive ones and could not wear them (I think mine were “narrow band”) and went with trifocals. On scoped rifles and 0x optics (EO Tech) I have no issues with the sights. For pistols I need to tilt my head back to use the middle prescription which is very unnatural so I had a pair of +1.75 readers that I used to see the front sight for precision practice. In general on a pistol I point shoot so I never see the front sight when doing draw’s or Ballzambique’s .

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Hi Nicholas C. I use my regular glasses for shooting hand guns at training I put side shields soft plastic they just side down the temple supports and line up with my frames, as for shooting my rifle I can only use the scope on it. As always I do wear some kind of safety glasses, now when I order my glasses I have them with high impact lenses that way all I have to do is side shields, I’ve had mine for quite sometime but I know you can find them on line at grainger.com in the safety section.

2 Likes

@NICHOLAS_C An associate of mine suggested:

He was very satisfied with their selection and prices.

There has been some discussion about prescription shooting glasses here that might help:

1 Like

When my eyes were not quite as bad, I used the SSP top bifocals. Then moved to using a plain lens in the left side. After that I went to using ESS with a prescription insert, setup as front sight focal only in right, distance only in left. That worked great and ran that way for 8 years?? Down side was due to my face shape the lenses would get smudged a bit fast, and usually right where I needed them for 3gun rifle shots.

This year I upgraded to Hunters HD Gold, and had the lens setup the same as before. Have not used them in a match yet, however they seem to solve the smudge issue, and I only need one lens since the darken/lighten automatically.

3 Likes

I got some prescription shooting glasses. They’re awful.

My eyes are epically bad, so I have to wear them at all times. They don’t seem to make safety glasses to fit over glasses, so I tried the prescription ones.

Unless I am looking directly at my target, it is warped.

3 Likes

I know this would not be an option for everyone, but I wear contacts when I go to the range.

2 Likes

I use Hunters gold HD glasses with prescription lenses. They are also making lenses for other sunglass companies frames now. Best pair of shooting glasses i have had.

2 Likes

I’m 68 and age has definitely had an effect on my vision and collaterally on my shooting accuracy. I’ve had good luck with Sports Optical out of Denver Colorado. I’m right handed and right eye dominant. After trying several variants, I am now on my second pair of sunglasses that use military grade safety lenses with the right lens focused at front sight distance, the left at long range and both lenses have reading bifocals on the lower portion of both lenses. These glasses have served me well at home, on travel and on deployments (I still do some contract work in Afghanistan).

1 Like